So is this a bad time to buy an Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Stonefarm, Feb 22, 2012.

  1. Stonefarm macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2012
    #1
    Sorry if this a repeat of smth that has previously been discussed, but I just registered here...

    I absolutely wanna get myself an MBA but I see you guys posting rumours about a next gen MBA, which makes me hesitant about splashing the cash right now?

    - Is there any concrete evidence that an entirely new 2012 MBA will hit the shelves any time soon?

    Thank you guys :)
     
  2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

    appleguy123

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Location:
    15 minutes in the future
    #2
    No.
     
  3. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2012
    #3
    How soon is "soon" ?

    a week? a month? a year?
     
  4. MValentine09 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2012
    Location:
    Northridge, CA
    #4
    2012 macbook air release...TBA.

    If you want to buy a mba now, then get one. If you're willing to play the waiting game, then save your pennies for the new model in "several months". I just got a 13 inch mba i5 128gb refurb from apple and I'm not regretting my purchase nor am I looking back on it. Enjoy it if you get it. Its a beautiful machine.
     
  5. yongren macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2011
    #5
    Any new Apple computer you get will have terrific resale value, so you could just go ahead and get one now—you should be able to get a good portion of the cost back & use that to get the upgrade.

    If that sounds like too much trouble, you'll just have to decide how important you think the improvements will be to you. Expect better battery life, a little faster, maybe more storage options... Hi-res display and a better camera if we're lucky.

    The current MBA is great, but if those sound like things you'd be interested in, and you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait... I would guess 6-8 months, give or take.
     
  6. Stonefarm thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2012
    #7
    Thanks guys. The high re-sale value is a good point.

    I think I'll try and stick it out and wait for the next gen, thus continuing this drowsy dance with my obsolete netbook...:)
     
  7. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #8
    Wait for Ivy, perhaps buy a used/refurb in the interim.
     
  8. AppleSticker54 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Location:
    MN
    #9
    While not a crystal ball, and saying that past releases are certainly no indication of future releases, it might seem that anywhere between two weeks (19 days) and two months (55 days) could be the magic number?

    Recent Releases:

    ??? 218 days

    07/2011 273 days

    10/2010 499 days

    06/2009 237 days

    10/2008 273 days

    01/2008 0 days
     
  9. abz1981 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    #10
    I think it all depends on your needs and current requirements. If you really need to buy a new MBA, then buy it now.

    If you can wait until the next MBA arrives, and you really don't have the need to buy one, right now, then just simply wait.
     
  10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
  11. urkel macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #12
    Well, thats not true at all. Apple product pricing is pretty rigid until the next version comes out. So if the $1199 11" Air gets replaced in 2 months then that same $1199 will buy the new version while the old model gets clearances out.

    Anyway, with Mountain Lion being a "Summer" release then I'd wager thats when we'll see the new Air's also. I don't think Apple will necessarily revamp the existing Air's but I think we'll see the Air family grow with at 15" Air Pro.
     
  12. Bokes macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #13
    I once saw an older woman walking out of the Apple store in Soho with a brand new 17 inch Macbook pro. I knew there was a rumor of a refresh right around the corner. The Next day Apple released new models. I immediately thought of that woman. Oh well.
     
  13. minnus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2011
    #14

    That is a good decision. I think the whole 'high re-sale value' is pretty moot. People who paid 2600+ for Max Specced 15" Pro early 2011 can barely sell it for 1700 now. That is a $900 loss. I bought my Air for 1300. If I tried to sell it today, I would be able to sell it for around 900-1000. That is a 300-400 loss.

    A couple months ago, I sold my 10 month old Thinkpad X120e for 380. I bought it for 380 after tax. It is all relative to how expensive it was to begin with. Most people complain about buying a $600 HP and not being able to resell it a couple years later, and praise the fact that their $3000 MBP can be sold for $700 after 2 years of use.

    I buy and sell laptops for giggles because I am searching for the perfect laptop (Five laptops in the past year). So far, I've settled on the 13" Air, but I am eagerly waiting for Ivy Bridge / Kepler.
     
  14. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #15
    If you want/need one now then buy now. There are always going to be rumors of an update out there and if you wait you could be waiting forever. I just picked up an Air and love its great for travel super fast and a great design, overall I love it its a great alternative for when I don't want to carry around my Pro.
     
  15. throAU macrumors 601

    throAU

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    #16
    We got a 2010 Air a couple of month before the 2011s came out.

    yes, its only a core2 1.6, but it is still fast for what is used on it; wake from sleep, general web stuff it is faster than my 2011 Pro, even - the on paper spec doesn't do them justice, the SSD is so much of a win.


    If you're not a massive power user, i doubt you'll notice any difference between a 2011 and and the next model to be honest, unless they go retina display.
     
  16. HstephenG macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #17
    And I bet she doesn't give a ****!
     
  17. b11051973 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    #18
    I have the first $999 11" MBA. Just found out yesterday I get my bonus next week. To celebrate, I want to get myself a new MBA. I think I'm going to wait for Ivy since my current MBA is going pretty good. I think I'm going to spend another $300 this time and get the base 13" though.
     
  18. stickybuns macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2011
    #19
    Similar question to the OP's for those of you who pay attention to these things:
    What's the likelihood of further price drops on refurbished MBAs once the 2012 model is out? The one I want (13" model from 2011) is currently $200 below retail.
     
  19. toddybody Guest

    toddybody

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    Location:
    On Mars, thinking about my father...
    #20
    I suffer from severe "waitfornextrelease-idous"...and played the same game before I bought my 13" Air 3 weeks ago. No regrets, start enjoying it now.

    IF Ivy Bridge really compels you to upgrade, resale value of your SB Air will be decent.
     
  20. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #21
    Usually refurbished units start at at 15% discount, and then eventually move to a 25% discount when they fall 2 generations behind.
     
  21. stickybuns macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2011
    #22
    Thank you, KPOM! So, it sounds like being patient will only save me another $100. My 2008 MacBook took a bad fall and will need about $300 in DIY repairs (cracked screen, damaged optical drive, non responsive touch pad), so I may as well upgrade now and skip the bandage.
     
  22. Tweezers macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Location:
    Twin Cities, MN
    #23
    The Apple store has a 14-day return policy even on open items. If she was smart she would have brought it back and got the new version for free. It's very possible that she didn't know or care though.
     
  23. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

    bobsentell

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    Alabama
    #24
    This thread has been very helpful. My wife has been wanting an MBA and I had concerns about getting one now. This makes me feel more confident.
     
  24. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    #25
    They really are great little computers. I'm sure she'll love it. The screen real estate (resolution) is quite a lot despite its smaller size.
     

Share This Page