So..just got my ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mattpreston11, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Got my iPad this evening after I got home from work.been on it for about an hour and a half now. I wasn't really interested in the iPad but then when I played on one in the apple shop I was blown away.however now there's a "meh" feeling. Maybe theres some apps I should get that I'm missing?

It might be because I'm using it at a time when I wouldn't really (or how I imagined I would)

Battery life has impressed me so far, however the safari reloading it annoying the he'll out of me already..

2. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

If you didn't have a reason to buy it, you're not going to use it once the novelty wears off. For example, I bought mine for two specific reasons; Slingplayer and RDP. I don't need a laptop or even a netbook to do either of those and I use them all the time so I use the iPad all the time. If you don't have an actual reason for buying one, you may want to consider returning it. If you need something more general purpose, you can get a decent netbook for a lot less money than an iPad.

Safari reloading can be mostly eliminated via jailbreaking and a plist virtual memory hack. I did it and it works great.

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

If you weren't really interested in the iPad...why did you buy one?

Nothing you add on the iPad is magically going to wow you into appreciating it.

4. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

5. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Sling App? I don't see an iPad version of the Sling Player yet. Am I missing something?

6. mattpreston11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No netflix or sling for me as I'm in the UK

I will use it for rdp/vnc in the future but not just yet.

I was interested in it.and if I keep it I will use it.but I'm starting to think that for double the price I could get myself an iMac or mbp.both my laptop and computer need badly upgrading..

Any other things I can try?is there a good way to transfer my videos(hopefully wirelessly) without having to convert them?

Cheers

7. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

"Read all about it... New purchase of luxury item fails to dispel existential ennui"...

8. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

AirVideo is an amazing app for streaming videos from a Mac/PC. It will convert many video formats on the fly. It also allows you to launch an offline conversion to iTunes format by tapping a single button.

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Are you clinically depressed ? (Seriuosly) I find that most people that use the 'meh' term are. They go out on a date with two supermodels and find something to constantly bitch about.
    This isn't meant to come across as an insult.

3.2.1 fixed the Safari refresh.

Ponder a few moments on what you expected to do with your ipad. Does it, or will it do it. Did you spend mega bucks on a 64 gig 3G model when a 16 or 32 gig wifi will do the job?

If you are going to be unhappy with it, take it back.

Ask out a supermodel or two.

10. voldermort macrumors newbie

The app store for the iPad is very stagnant, so that can hinder the enjoyment of the device.

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Once you install a couple of apps you will go from meh to HOLYSHIT!

oh, and some books.

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yea, some books on certain species of mushrooms...

13. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

The age of excess is a wonderful thing.

I got mine specifically because there was a need in my house to get another device to access email, content, and surf the web. We have one computer in the house that's shared by the entire family. The kids are spending more time on the computer so it was difficult to get on at times to check things as needed. Since we are only talking about mostly email and casual web surfing, it was a natural choice. The OS is easy to use for anyone in the house and it's a quick on compared to the regular desktop booting process. The video/music content along with a few games is a plus. I got the 3G so I can take it with me from time to time on trips for business or pleasure.

Depending on your needs, you should possibly return it. I would think a thoughtful decision would be made about such a purchase but this is the age of excess.

14. wyneken macrumors regular

Goodreader, iBooks, iCab (the best browser, IMO), Pages, Brushes (if you're at all artistic), Weather HD, Zinio magazine reader, NPR, BBC, Bloom (Brian Eno's cool "generative music" app), myTexts (elegant text processor with instant word count), Molecules, Emerald Observatory, Comic Zeal.

Those will make a nice start.

15. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Really? My son says it all the time, he hasn't been on any dates and he seems perfectly happy. Do you have a link to something I can read about this?

16. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

The problem is with you. You need to download some apps into your brain.

17. mattpreston11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have updated and found the safari refresh to still be there.does atomic fix it much?

I got the 16gb wifi model.the money was alot for me. Think if it was £250 I would be a lot happier with it.but as mentioned previously,my laptop and desktop on in desperate need of upgrade,maybe I should have addressed that.

I'm probably going to keep it for a few weeks and see how I like it, then make a decision. I think I will be able to bay it without too much of a loss.

Btw although asking out a supermodel would be interesting, I doubt the missus would be too pleased.

18. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

19. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

My fav app: Atomic Browser - open tabs in the background (so it doesn't auto goto the new page), full screen view, search within website, bookmark bar… much better than safari!

Other really good ones
    Air Video - streams movies (any format/codec) from any networked computer to ipad w/ converting on the fly.

Air Display - shares your ipad screen via wifi, like a 2nd monitor for your computer

Godfinger - a pretty fun game, similar to Black & White for the pc

Harbour Master - you draw paths with your finger to unload boats at various docks, while trying not to crash into other ships

Reeder (Or Newsrack) - Awesome rss reader that syncs with your google reader

Scrabble - Really fun for up to 4 players… super polished, I play it a lot with the wifey.

Dropbox - Dropbox is a website that lets you have online storage, and then will push whatever you upload, to your home computers/devices. So you install dropbox on your mac, it makes a folder on your computer… whatever you put in that folder will get automatically uploaded to the cloud. Nice way to keep files in sync between work and home.

Goodreader - Awesome file management system… you can also connect to FTP, download email attachments, unzip, etc.. can connect to drop box to download/upload as well.

Solitaire - Obviously… its what it says.

Epicurious - Really nice cookbook app, super polished. You can download recipes and view offline

Urbanspoon - Great app for restaurant ideas, ipad version has a map which is nice.

1000 Experiences - Really nicely done, interesting time waster, has great info about cool things all over the world. Nice pictures, extra info, and sometimes view.

Zinio - Magazine subscription app… has magazines that the apple bookstore doesn't (apple bookstore sucks in canada). Some free magazines too!

Multipong - Fun version of pong, up to 4 people

Mahjong 2 HD - Nice mahjong game.

Hope that gets you started! :)

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

It depends on the amount of data on the web page. Those with lots of thumb nail photos will refresh.

Well what's the use of dating a super model if can't go around bragging about it or showing everyone pics.

I saw part of the movie "The Proposal". Jesse James is a total idiot.

21. tac73cle macrumors newbie

The update certainly didn't fix the Safari reloading issue. I'm pulling my hair out. My iPad is much slower than before I updated.

Also now seem to have a problem with wifi where I didn't before. Now even with full strength showing, pages just hang up. If I switch to 3G, it works fine.

Pretty ticked off right now. First business trip trying to use it and the wifi is useless. And unfortunately I don't have the unlimited 3G plan.

22. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Take it to an Apple store. I didn't have the dropping wifi issues, but 3.2.1 sped up wifi and all apps that use it on mine.

I can now have 4-5 pages open without a refresh, depending upon the sites. Graphically intensive websites will refresh, depending upon the number of pages open

I have the following open without refresh.

http://www.macrumors.com/
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...fai=Cv-yWyg9FTOjWOJHuzASZtMWiCgAAAKoEBU_Q1kGc
    http://www.gilsmethod.com/
    http://www.templeofipad.com/
    http://www.anzioironworks.com/

And of course this page...

No refresh.

Edit: Spoke too soon, closed last page, refreshing quit.

23. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for there to be an iPad version of the Sling Player. I can't watch the iphone version on the big iPad screen. It's not worth it.

24. Briview macrumors regular

Does anyone know how the quality & performance of videos and the sound compare if you were to stream them from Air Video via iTunes/QuickTime or actually sync the videos to your iPad and then play it? (e.g. Disney/Pixar's Up in the Movies category)

25. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

No reply, as expected. Flagged as a troll.