So let me get this straight .........

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by semin28, Apr 8, 2010.

1. semin28 macrumors regular

The ipod touch 2g wont get all the new features ? Wtf not fair

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

True, because it only has 128MB of ram where the 3rd gen (32 and 64GB only) and the 3GS both have 256MB. Which Apple feels is the minimum required to run multitasking.

3. Chozo macrumors member

I think it's plenty fair. You're still getting an OS update with tons of new features. Apple says that the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2nd gen can't handle everything (like multitasking) due to hardware limitations and that obviously has truth to it as the later iPhone/iPod Touch models have faster processors and more RAM.

Be thankful you're still getting an update for 2 year old mobile hardware in today's ever-accelerating technological world.

4. Resplendent macrumors member

I wish there was a more broken down list of what exactly will and will not work on the 2G. Okay, no multitasking, and...?

5. yodinyer macrumors newbie

This is exactly what I'm waiting for.

6. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1
    i think they'll do away with 2g when they launch the 4.0 in fall...so it should not be a much of a problem.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and everything but iAds

9. tucker61 macrumors regular

Will still be charged full price for it though won't we!

10. Hawke macrumors regular

Welcome to the world of technology

11. JAT macrumors 603

The iPod Touch 1G won't get ANY of the new features. How does that add up on your fairness meter?

12. Revomonster macrumors regular

Revomonster

Last year before Christmas I sold my second gen touch and got a third gen 32 gig. This will be a great update!:apple:

13. zippyzoom macrumors member

14. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

you can jailbreak it so who cares. 3g cant jailbreak and so this is necessary.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

aIds

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't know if you were here when Snow Leopard was coming. How many people _demanded_ from Apple to drop support for PowerPC. How many people _demand_ from Apple that the next release of MacOS X should drop support for 32 bit Macs. How refreshing that iPhone/iPod users don't like if older models are not fully supported.

It may be that multitasking as implemented in the iPhone OS needs some hardware feature that isn't present on the older models. At least that is what Apple says.

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

When the iPhone 3GS came out I was casually thinking about getting a touch. The masses were saying "it's a minor upgrade" even though it was about twice as powerful. I decided to wait a few months until the changes were adopted in the touch, knowing it would greatly increase longevity and support for the device. Ever since, I've been glad I have the more responsive device and now I'm triply happy about waiting.

That being said I'm guessing there's going to be huge hardware development in the next set of releases. I'll be perfectly happy if I can run everything for a couple of years before upgrading again in Sept next year. These things aren't all that expensive to begin with and they fetch a decent price on the used market.