So long 12" PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mark-Mac-Attack, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

Well it would appear that my 12" PowerBook is going to a new home as of tomorrow.

Managed to get a good price for her (£450/$690).

Really wish something like this would be released again, but as i've read on here many a time, so do many others.

Here she is, in her near perfect condition. Spec: 1GHZ/1.25GB/160GB/Airport/BT/Combo plus brand new Apple battery, original box, manuals, software, case, cables etc. etc.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Anyone wish they hadn't sold theirs?

[​IMG]

2. Queso macrumors G4

Still got mine. Although it's now got a dodgy backlight and the hard disk has an annoying habit of needing fsck a lot more than is healthy I want a spare ready for when the Nvidia chip in my MBP goes pop and I have to send it into Apple.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

My 12" PowerBook G4 (1.5 GHz, 1.25 GB, 250 GB) will be with me forever. No plans to sell it in the near future, if ever.

4. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

It was purely sold for financial reasons. New baby and Christmas combined don't make for a happy bank balance. I rarely use it because of the iMac, and the other half has a 2.4GHZ MacBook so all is not lost. But it's not a patch on this machine (although she doesn't think so), and has just had a battery fault whereby it doesn't recognise the battery being in place (joy!).

5. the vj macrumors 6502a

I have 3 12" and I may give one to my girlfriend this chrismas, that is as far I can let it go.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I bought one and sold it within about 2 weeks, also for financial reasons. It really didn't get that much usage, and I did make a profit, but it was the ultimate collectors item :(.

7. dentedG4 macrumors member

wow, the 12ers must be in real short supply across the pond because it would be really hard to get more than 400 for it here. It is a collectible though and yours is in immaculate condition. Sorry you had to part with her :(

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

That machine is a beauty. You got a great price for it. I wish Apple would come out with something like this again...but it wont happen ever again. Long live the PowerBook G4 12" :apple:

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Wow you got one hell of a deal or sucker to pay that much for one. Those can be had over here for less then $300 (£196).

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Sold mine over 2 years ago for a first gen MacBook. While the MacBook is faster, the 12" was a wonderful machine, and tbh I still miss it a bit.

11. LeoFio macrumors regular

Still have mine as my main machine (1.5 GHz/ 1.25GB RAM), running Tiger to keep it going at a decent pace ;) (I rely on my ThinkPad if I really need the performance.)

I'll save it and keep it permanently hooked up to my TV if apple ever releases a new matte MBP.

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I LOVE my 12" but the HD is starting to make a funny noise lately :confused: and from what I've seen on ifixit, disassembly is no fun :(
    It runs Leopard awesomely and opens CS2 faster than my MBP. Also, it has 1 up on my MBP with FW400 (DV)

13. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Finding a good condition PBG4 or iBookG4 in 12in can be difficult. I've been trying to get a 12in iBookG4 out of my ex's house for a year but never make it past the door with it...

14. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Great price for it. That was probably my third favorite Mac of all time (since 2000). I miss mine, but it was showing its age even on Tiger, if I remember correctly.

15. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I still have mine. I haven't decided what to do with it. Everyone I know wants it though, but they can't have it!!

16. macadmiral macrumors member

was hands down the best product apple has ever produced for its time

17. erickj macrumors regular

Just sold mine...

and I actually regret doing it, but I needed the cash to pay for the MacBook Pro I bought. I got just over 300 for it, which is fine considering it was scuffed from my watch wear and didn't have any upgrades. But it was a perfect machine for the last 5 years. I can't believe it was still ticking strong too. This Pro is taking a bit of getting used to. I like the screen size, but the actual size of the computer and keypad and such is totally odd to me. I keep hitting wrong keys.
    I loved that computer though. Didn't think I'd ever sell it as I still have my original Graphite Special Edition iMac and an Aluminum iMac.

18. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

It's fine fella. Just take your time, have a clean work space and you'll do it.

It's a 5,400rpm drive in there, replacing the original 60GB (already upgraded from new) 4,200rpm drive.

It's running Tiger and runs great. Just the boot time is a little long if you ask me.

19. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I still got mine, love it to bits. only problem is the lid has lost the little metal latch which holds it shut :( - I will be keeping it in the family though, i am going to let my mum use it when my mac pro arrives for Christmas i hope :)

20. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Yeah but this is in an immaculate condition, not one scratch on it.. the ones I've seen for £200 have looked as if they've been put down the waste deposal a few times.

21. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Yes cwedl, you are correct. eBay is full of PowerBooks for a few hundred that are in such bad condition, they barely close. Nasty :eek:

22. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I also sold my 12" PB to upgrade to a first-generation BlackBook. I missed the 12" horribly and did not enjoy the BlackBook one little bit, even with the increased computing power. But my new MacBook Air is slowly replacing the 12" PB's place in my heart...

23. molala macrumors 6502a

I still have mine. I only upgraded to a 2.4 blackbook two months ago, hung on to the 12" PB in case I had problems with the blackbook. The selling prices for these on Ebay here in the UK are tempting though. I might sell it after Christmas - but I doubt they will sell as well after the holidays.

24. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

I really did love my 12" PowerBook. My LCD went out and after it was shipped to Apple they replaced it with a 15" MacBook Pro. I definitely am satisfied with the upgrade!

25. murc585 macrumors regular

Selling mine was a happy day. I've had some good and bad days with it. I had the 867mhz G4 processor, 640mb of ram, 60gb HDD, Airport, BT, Superdrive. I traded it with someone for an xbox 360 with a few games last christmas and I don't regret it at all. The fan was loud, I could cook eggs on on it, and after a month of owning it, my wireless range was about 1/3 than it originally was. The case was warped, it dented so easily, and the screen would not properly align with the rest of the case.

The laptop took me through many years of school and was a great size, but was extremely slow. I bought a new MacBook last February and it was an amazing machine. I sold it last week for need of a larger screen and video card (plus I love the unibody look) for a new MacBook Pro 15" and it should be here this week. I can't wait.