So Many 15" MBP Refurbs - What are the issues?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hashilli, Jul 11, 2011.

1. hashilli macrumors member

I've been looking at a 15" MBP hi-res (glossy or anti-glare.) I keep seeing so many of the Feb 2011 models in the refurb store, I am kind of worried about buying one. What have been the big, common issues with the latest model? Am I setting out to get a machine with a high rate of problems?

And it is not just today. I have been watching for some time. The only thing that has held me back is the glossy or anti-glare choice. Glossy hi-res I have to go new. Anti-glare hi-res I have the refurb option.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Refurbs don't necessarily mean problems. Most refurbs are from people who bought the computer, tried it out, and ended up returning it.

Since Apple removed the restocking fee on all of it's products, I'm not exactly surprised by the large number of items in the refurbished store.

I would definitely go with a refurbished computer. In fact, they are actually remanufactured, so the only parts that remain the same are the internals (such as the processor).

I wish I went with a refurbished 15 instead of buying a new 13 inch ... oh well.

3. hashilli thread starter macrumors member

It's not really a refurb or new choice for me but a glossy vs anti-glare. I hear that text looks much better on the 17" anti-glare vs the 15" anti-glare simply due to the dpi of the screen. The 17" has a slightly more dense dpi?

Anyway, I'll have to head to the apple store to see the difference I guess. I've seen some older models in person. I need to compare the Feb 2011 models.