So much hate for Uni mbp 15in....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rudyrox, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rudyrox macrumors member

i just ordered a 15in mbp and there is so much hate on it. like tis long charging time during use, battery life, sleep issues... :( i thought apple was the godly product. i lost faith in pc's but not apples? say it aint so!!!

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Your computer may be a defect. Try upgrading the software and what not or taking it to Apple for a replacement.

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I wouldn't call Apple's products "godly."

It sounds like yours is defective, I would definately make an appointment with a Genius. Hopefully you are under warranty and/or bought AppleCare.

4. rudyrox thread starter macrumors member

i see a lot of ppl saying that their uni's charging time during use is like 6 hours

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

That isn't my experience, at least. I'm surprised how fast it charges, compared to my Dell.

It takes a bit to get to 100%, but the ~90% mark comes very, very quickly, for me.

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

If I'm not mistaken, the guy doesn't even have the computer yet. Just ordered it.

7. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

My 15" Alum MBP is just great. The battery drain is very acceptable with a very reasonable charge time to recharge. Im monitoring the battery with coconut and it shows the Original Battery Capacity as 4600 mAh, and my Current Battery Capacity as 4727 mAh! And Mine's A ReFurb!
    Apple Godly, no....A company that makes great equipment, yes indeed....IMO

Get your pro and use it and enjoy it.....stop worring what all the others are saying......you'll just get worry lines. :D

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I guess if you're using your laptop heavily while it's charging, it'll take 6 hours like you said. If you just left it alone, or didn't do anything too taxing, it would be much quicker, I'd imagine.

Battery life? Well, depends on what you're doing with it. If all you're doing is surfing the internet, it lasts around 5 hours. If you watch a movie, it lasts a tiny bit longer than 2 hours. This is from multiple reviews on the internet (MacWorld and Anandtech). For comparison purposes, the old system lasted for around 30 minutes longer while watching a movie.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think you got a flawed machine. I just don't think you're happy with the specs.

Try repairing permissions. Go to APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > DISK UTILITY, and click on Repair Permissions. Then shut down, startup your machine again, and see if your sleep issues are still there. If they don't disappear, you may have to reset your PRAM (if the newest Macs still have those).

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or has the OP not even received his MBP? I think he's just asking about other people's problems.
    For the record, not EVERYONE has these issues :cool:

10. aresinferno macrumors regular

I have not had any sleep issues and i have left it asleep for a few hours with no battery drain. I have not tested that much though ;)
    As for battery life? Lets just say i have owned 3 laptops before this one. I never got more than 2 hours on those. I usually get between 3 to 5 hours depending on what i am doing so understandably it would take longer to charge if it actually lasts longer than alot of others. I am often plugged in but i find myself sitting for hours without it plugged in :D

The battery does say it takes quite a while to charge but what do you expect from these batteries. They charge extra fast to 80% and trickle charge beyond that similar to the iPhone. The only difference with the iPhone is that it says it is full when it is only at 80% because the trickle charge is very slow.

I would say don't worry. When i first got this unibody macbook pro i examined every piece of it to look for defects. No dead pixels, no visible backlight leakage (or noticeable at least i haven't used my macbook pro in the extreme dark with a black wallpaper and i would rather not know if it had a problem like this).

The only problems which i have noticed are that the battery lid is very slightly sticking out more towards the edges than towards the middle where it feels flush. I don't see this as a problem in any way. It is not loose, i can just feel the boundary between the lid and the rest of the case more in certain areas. But how often do i have my hands underneath it?
    One other problem is that there is no # key printed on my keyboard. I am in the UK and i believe it is lacking on all UK keyboards but i would have liked it to be printed in the £/3 key like the euro on the 2/@/€ key. Alt 3 is not an ordinary combination for a key that is needed by web developers often in css :/
    One last thing i notice is that the trackpad is raised slightly futher on the left than on the right but that is no big deal.

The keys do not touch the screen and the glossy screen is not a problem in most conditions. Overall an awesome product so don't worry. It should be fine.

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

+1

12. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

13. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

+4 (although I don't own one)
    Also remember that forums tend to get posts from people having problems. The worst of the worst. In reality, that vast majority of people are completely satisfied with there machine.

15. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I love my 15" unibody MBP. It's by far the best computer I've ever owned, and the coolest-looking. Chill out, man. It'll most likely be fine.

16. yegon macrumors 68020

My month old 15" has run perfectly so far.

Like ALL products, from washing machines to jet ski's to toasters, if you actively seek out complaints/faults on the net you'll find loads....in contrast, satisfied customers have neither the need or the inclination to tell the world, "Maw! I got me a perfect pez dispenser!".

17. rudyrox thread starter macrumors member

18. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

Mines been pretty flawless. I 'm really happy with it... especially the keyboard, it's a joy to use.

19. Kevlar macrumors 6502

You have to remember, that the people who post problems are in the small few. Most don't have problems hence have no reason to go searching for solutions. You will always see more negative comments then positive comments about products, due to the fact that if someone is happy with it, they probably will not look any further into it, while if you are unhappy with it you want to voice your complaints/concerns.

Oh and I love mine.

20. rudyrox thread starter macrumors member

21. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

godly? we talking about the same product here? a quick search of QC issues that appear again...and again...and again....i think you know where this is going..shows that apple might have good stuff but they sure as hell ain't godly. for one thing, God would have better QC, if not flawless QC, for stuff put out.lol

22. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree less, considering the mankind.

Anyway, my experience in these past years with apple has been terrible. My early '08 has been substituted with a Unibody (after 8 months of all kinds of defects). This unibody is about to be serviced because the microphone does not work well (plus audio on the right). This is only my experience in less than 12 months. I could add more.

I may not be the luckiest one, but 100% defective computers with the apple upon cannot be considered just a coincidence.

There's something wrong with QC in Apple.

thistle

23. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Just call Apple back, and let them know you'd like it without the hate on it. I order mine with the happiness and glee, and it's been working out quite well. :D

24. goMac macrumors 603

My past three Apple laptops (TiBook, AlBook, and Macbook Pro) have been nothing but trouble.

Bought a Mac Pro instead of a new Macbook Pro to replace my older one, and I've had no issues.

Seems to be the laptops.