So much in such a small 64 GB 4G Package...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DougFNJ, Dec 10, 2010.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I just purchased a 64 gig 4G Touch, finally had a chance to play with it for an hour and figured I would post an observation.

Is anyone else amazed at how far this technology has come in less then 10 short years? I have been using iPods since they made them for Windows in the 2nd Generation. I have gradually upgraded as memory increased, and the technology went from monochrome to Video, and moved to all 4 generations of the Touch. I get amazed more and more as I upgrade.

Apple has taken my entire collection of almost 6,000 songs and allowed me to store them on a one device smaller than the size of a cassette. Not only that, but made it a hi definition video player, a portable video game player, a web device, still and video camera, video conference, youtube player, a PDA, etc. I think we all know.....all that for less than $400 at Best Buy.

Does anyone else sometimes take a look at the technology we have available to us in such a short time and find it amazing? :)

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yep.
    I love my iPod Touch (and iPhone) for all the things it can do. Games, Youtube, Video, music, safari, etc. It's just amazing.

3. Ipodize macrumors member

Ipodize

And think how much more Apple could have put in there if they were non-for-profit... :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, it is still an amazing little device. I'd buy it over a Zune any day. (And, to anyone who regards me as a fanboy because I said this, I'm not. Besides, my budget docent allow me to be one :p)

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You have to wonder what the next 10 years will bring. Will we look back and wonder how we could have lugged that big thing around and thought it was cool. Will the next 10 years just bring an iPhone like device that does everything better in a smaller, cooler package, or will the next must have device be something we haven't even thought we'd need.

5. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

i think about this sometimes, and you're right, it's quite amazing how fast technology upgrades, 10 years ago, i never imagined i would have something as amazing as an iPod touch, i had a Personal CD player, and that was pretty awesome, but when you look back at how that changed in the last 10 years, its weird to think what we may be using in 10 years time, as another poster said, something we cant even imagine right now maybe...

i like watching the videos on youtube from 15 years ago of them introducing the all new amazingly brilliant iMac, while i'm sitting here on my Quad Core i5 27" beast, which will also look just as ridiculous in 15 years, but i cant imagine how it could, just as you couldn't then...

6. ApprentiSorcier macrumors newbie

I had a trip to Japan in October.
    Before I always brought my powerbook (from 2003) with me.

This year, I bought ipod touch 4th gen, and it totally acted fine as a mobile computing device. I could even log into my company's computer using VNC through VPN.

A funny thing is, my powerbook 2003 cannot even play youtube smoothly. But iPod touch can! iPod touch is not a replacement of notebook PCs in the end, but I was amazed at how far technology has come along.

At the same time, I am hoping there is even more amazing stuff coing in the next 5 years.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Its nice to see it get smaller and show some improvements. Remember Apple had the Newton PDA way back when. I remember picking up several Palm Pilots, only to have them not sync after 6-8months. Apple simple is just taking something, and making it better. Along the way there are a couple bloops.

Right now I just see a portable device that looks very similar to MacBooks. What I wish is that Apple could put back some of the cool stuff in Snow Leopard that they took out in Tiger OS. Like the ability to SMS text from your Address book. :( Or when Tiger allowed you to tether to your phone to make calls.

I just wanna know whose idea was it to take out all the cool stuff. Oh and if the iTouch suppose to mirror our MacBooks, can we get in Mail the mass mail feature in iOS4. ex. type in Family in Mail and all the address will attach to the email.

8. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

The funny thing is, reading the reviews they classify 4G as nothing revolutionary over the 3G. How spoiled have we gotten? :p. We got 2 cameras where before we had none. We have the thinner form factor vs the 3G. We have a far superior screen, a better speaker, and a microphone. A true iPhone without the phone vs what we've had before. The only thing I could wish for at this point (and it's reaching) is a vibrate feature for gaming and silent alarms.

As far as the future, I would think the next upgrade would be memory and minor software tweaks. I don't think Apple would want to make it any smaller as that would take away from a great sized screen. I would guess eventually the Touch would kill the Classic as Flash memory will eventually catch up. What else could they really do to improve it?

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

When I am at my desk and I need to check something online or such I tend to reach for my iPod touch before using my computer. 4G is near perfection for me, wonder what that means for 5G.

10. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

iPod touch is my major electronic device these days, I can just conveniently check the email from all my accounts in one inbox, do most things I need to do, and have fun with the touchscreen.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The only thing I don't like about the iPod Touch 4th generation is that, in the efforts to make it even thinner, they weirdly positioned the lock button, and it seems pretty hard to get to. In spite of that, it wouldn't deter me from buying one. :)

12. Panther71 macrumors regular

Also love my 64gb iPod Touch 4 gen. I am using it for this posting. I wish the battery would last longer before needing to be recharged.

13. Disposition macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've noticed the battery last amazingly long, especially compared to my old classic. The camera, video, and games can really eat up the battery, but still lasts me all day (and I use the hell out of it).

My first iOS device and now I don't see how I've lived without it. It's replaced my computer.

14. coldpower27 macrumors regular

Technology gets more advanced over time I guess... iPod Touch is a pretty incredible device.. I love it.. but improvements now are just evolutionary rather then revolutionary...

3G - 4G is ok... but I really don't care about the fact that they added cameras nice touch but not critical..

Hopefully 5G Touch has Dual Core processor and 128GB memory and at least 3 MegaPixel Camera... We shall see won't we...

I don't care about thinner.. it's fine as it is already.. even iPod Touch 2G/3G is thin enough IMO.

Better Retina Display... like the one on iPhone 4...

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I just got myself a new 4G 32 GB iPod touch. Thanks to my home Wi-Fi network, I don't even need to turn on my computer to get the news. :) And it has a really LONG battery life--it took over 32 hours of playing music and audio podcasts before I needed to charge the unit again.

And because it works with Wi-Fi, I even have a Twitter client running on it so I can communicate over Twitter. :D

16. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes, it would be as amazing as all those Linix Touches the Free Software Foundation is giving away. Seriously, it is only the desire of grown-up people to provide for their families which makes them work so hard to satisfy your desires. Best wishes.

17. fiermedic049 macrumors newbie

upgrading

I looking upgrade my 1st gen touch to the 4g. How do I save all my contacts and bookmarks, ECT. from my 1g to the 4g. Or do I have to enter everything manually? Will I lose my saved info on my apps ect?

18. aNYthing24 macrumors member

Not sure about apps. But you can sync your contacts to iTunes and sync it onto your new iPod.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Backup your current iPod in iTunes. When you get your new iPod and plug it in for the first time, click "Restore from a backup of ....." and you will see the backup from your old iPod.

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yep, the iPTs and iPhones really do a lot of things all packed into one.