Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eMace

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Did anyone else buy from Apple on Black Friday thinking they were getting a deal? I bought an iPad on Apple's website thinking I was gonna get a $50 gift card (basically a $50 discount). Well, when I checked out, they took $50 off the iPad and added a $50 gift card which they charged me for. So it's basically a wash. I called Apple to make sure a mistake wasn't made, the rep told me "Yeah, that's how the Black Friday deal works, we're so sorry...". So all they did was give me the "privilege" to switch my $50 cash for a gift card! Who would think that's a good deal??

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Did anyone else buy from Apple on Black Friday thinking they were getting a deal? I bought an iPad on Apple's website thinking I was gonna get a $50 gift card (basically a $50 discount). Well, when I checked out, they took $50 off the iPad and added a $50 gift card which they charged me for. So it's basically a wash. I called Apple to make sure a mistake wasn't made, the rep told me "Yeah, that's how the Black Friday deal works, we're so sorry...". So all they did was give me the "privilege" to switch my $50 cash for a gift card! Who would think that's a good deal??
If I understand this right, for the same money you got an iPad and a gift card instead of an iPad. So now you have a $50 gift card to use on your next purchase.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
You could have chosen to just pay full price for the iPad and not get a gift card, that way you would not have felt cheated and would not have an extra $50 to spend on iTunes later.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

Scratches head.. trying to figure out how the math does NOT work out to mean you got exactly the deal advertised?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.