So my iphone got stolen...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alex3540, May 17, 2009.

1. alex3540 macrumors newbie

My iphone was stolen a few days ago out of my hotel room. I called AT &T and cancelled the sim card. I then went home and changed all of my online passwords, save one, my school email address. I thought all was said and done and this little inconvenience was over.

I got home today and checked my school email, I was suprised to see several nude photos of what I assume is the thiefs girlfriend. Is there anyway I could use these to find out more information about the thief? I have the girlfriends name and email address and I know she sent the photos from a t-mobil phone.

Any ideas would be helpful, I may just post the photos for all the internets to ejoy.

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

I think we'd definitely need to see the pics to be able to give sound advice. ;)

3. alex3540 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Best revenge is to post them online for all to see.

5. alex3540 thread starter macrumors newbie

what im worried about. Is how do i stop this from coming back and haunting me? they have access to evrything but the phone with no sim card?

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

7. taran420 macrumors 6502a

you have the biggest thing ever on them, the nude pictures. Email her back and tell her straight that you have the nude picture and if the phone is not returned, you will release it all over the net and all those other bad stuff

If he has even one bit of dignity, she will definitely try to stop it and try to break a deal with you.

You have nothing to lose, so try doing that

8. alex3540 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont really want to make a deal with these people, i just want to be done with it.

yeah, obviously the passcode would have been huge

9. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'd say give them to the cops.... let them work from there. The MSRP of an iPhone is $599 so its a Felony. I'm sure a bored detective would be willing to work on it.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Blackmail her. Just kidding (although she deserves it). Get in touch with the police. If they have her contact information it's virtually an open and shut case since she has to know the person who owned the phone - and I'm sure she wouldn't want her face plastered all over the internet... along with everything else.

11. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Dont listen to the schmucks telling you to blackmail. That's illegal.

Contact the police department.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wait, I'm a bit confused here. This "girlfriend" sent nude pictures of herself to your school email account? How would she know it and why would she send the photos? Who were these photos addressed to?

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Just tell the girlfriend that you appreciate the pics but you would rather have your phone her boyfriend "borrowed". :D

No threat or blackmail are needed. That alone should motivate the thief to return it. :cool:

Edit: Now that I think about it since Breaking and Entering is a much more serious offense than picking up an unatttended phone, send a copy of your email including all original attachments to the police. That should do the trick.

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

PICS OR GTFO

just kidding :p

I would e-mail them to the police

15. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'm also fairly intrigued as to find out what correlation there is to someone stealing your iPhone and nude photos of some slag ending up on your school email.

16. alex3540 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my school mail account was IMAPed to the Iphone. I can only assume the genius' didn't think their emails would be showing up on my computer.

I also have discovered several "sent" messeges, with pictures of who I think to be the thief

17. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Well, the thief (a real genius) broke into a hotel room, stole a phone, used his new phone to email his girlfriend his picture and brag about his acquisition. Then his girlfriend sent her own nude pics to the victim's email account by replying to the message.

So since the phone was synced with the victim's school email account he now has all the evidence. Gotta love it......:D

And of course it's a good thing that the iPhone sim was cancelled after all this took place. Maybe a good reason to let the perpertrator hang himself before cancelling the account.

18. megapopular macrumors 6502a

You should...

show these to the hotel staff, it could easily be an employee of theirs. let them know that the police are involved as well.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Man, these people who steal iPhones are some of the most stupidest people on the face of this planet. We will file this one with the thief who stole his roommate's phone and the thief who uploaded all his contact info the original owner's MobileMe account. And even this girl is not too bright. Why would you send nude pics to an email account you never heard of? For this very reason, these pics should go on the internetz. The police have bigger fish to fry - they're not likely going to do anything.

OP: did you talk to the mgmt of the hotel? It's one of their employees that stole the phone. Maybe the mgmt will recognize the pics as one of their employees girlfriends and they can give you a name. A better thing to do would have been to call the police from the lobby. They would have had to come out to the hotel to file the report. Hotels don't like police coming to their lobby (in front of other customers) and mgmt may have helped you fix this faster.

20. alex3540 thread starter macrumors newbie

the police talked to me at the hotel. I have a phone call into the police, still havent forwarded the emails yet.

I figured I should wait and talk to the police before I call up hotel security.

21. alex3540 thread starter macrumors newbie

He just tried to create a myspace account with my e-mail. Why would he do that?

I turned IMAP forwarding off on the account in question. He can't do anything with it then right? Except send emails to that address.

I dont know I guess he wasn't expecting to receive an e-mail confirmation with the account.

Anyway I emailed myspace privacy and told them that any information about the person trying to create the account would be helpful.

22. bakerster macrumors regular

so this guy is practically giving away his information to you... and you don't want to get your phone back?

i'm sorry i would wait a while until I had as much information as possible, then completely brain **** him. i'd screw with him for the rest of his life. get him back, you deserve it.

first thing you should do is try and get his home address and go to a pay phone and then swat him.

immature? yes.
    worth it? absolutely.

23. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i agree, that small feature is actually quite useful. i think it should be like mandatory that a passcode is needed over an extended amount of time, just to be sure.

i don't know if they are legally allowed to give that information out, though the fact that they tried to use your email might help? i guess it's possible they can email you the information the guy filled out the forms with.

24. ethical macrumors 68000

does anyone here have their passcode lock set to "erase all data after 10 attempts"? i really want to set it to that and try it out.... but cant be bothered to re-sync everything.