So my new replacement arrived

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorahk, May 18, 2009.

1. zorahk macrumors 6502

But the screen is a 9C84. I have 10 days to send it back. Do I return or keep it? My previous was a 9C85. Discuss.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Discuss? Is the screen fine? Keep it and calm the hell down. Seriously, no matter the model # if the screen is fine then stop worrying about it. :rolleyes:

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you're seriously contemplating returning the computer because of that, I think you're an idiot. 9C84 screen here and it's absolutely wonderful.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

of course you should return it. it is clearly an inferior product. just keep returning them indefinitely, this way, your computer will never be old. of course, you will only have a computer occasionally, but it's clearly not that important to you... :rolleyes:

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

Some people here have some serious psychological issues...

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

what excuss are u gonna use if you do wanna return it?

7. vadhar macrumors newbie

How do u no which screen u have?

Im trying to figure out which screen i have.

8. Aboo macrumors 6502a

OP, seriously? or is this a joke???

I can understand if there is something materially defective with your computer, i.e. cosmetic damage, loose hinges, loose battery cover, dead pixels, etc. I can even understand if you are paranoid that your screen is perfectly aligned with the body. After all it is a defect and you have paid a lot of money for this product. But to really request a replacement just because you got a different screen type, with no noticeable defects (i.e. it doesn't bother you other than the fact that its not an 9C85 screen) I think is outrageous. If you have to ask, then the supposed marginal benefit of the 9C85 screen is not something that you would have noticed or have a use for.

Although all returns/exchanges impact Apple's total cost and thus eventually lead to increased prices, what you are contemplating here I think is unjustified.

9. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If the screen manufacturer is important, then I guess the memory manufacturer, the HD manufacturer, the optical drive manufacturer, and all the little chips soldered to the motherboard, their manufacturers are important issues... as far as deciding to keep a laptop or return it... right? I don't even want to know this stuff, to tell the truth - it's too distracting for me. ;)
    Okay, I'm sort of kidding... but seriously, don't worry about who made the screen if it's working well. Just check it for defects, and if it looks good - be happy, since others haven't been as lucky.

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

OP will be wasting people's time, effort and money by returning a faultless computer on the basis that he doesn't like the screen model. Discuss.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL awesome!
    I'm sure the OP feels like silly now. It sucks because frankly these people are giving the target market for Mac computers a bad name.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a 9C84 panel; looks the same to me! (all of them are crappy)

13. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Well stated. If it works and looks good to you, why go through the hassle of returning and playing the lottery again. The opportunity cost to you, the society, and to Apple is far too great.

14. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

Right yeah it's okay blah blah blah

What I'm asking is if the 9c85 is infact a better panel and if I am not getting my money's worth.

15. ZenoVT macrumors regular

i dont get it, my screens model = 9cAD whats that in terms of the whole 84/85 battle?

16. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Which panel is better? :confused: This is basically a subjective question IMO. :) I believe that this is a question only you can decide for yourself. :) Good luck. :)

17. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Dude seriously??? Come on man. Both panels are within spec. Both meet Apple's technical specs, that's why both panels are used. Of course you are getting your money's worth (which by the way is extremely subjective. If you are never going to notice the difference, then you are probably never going to benefit from the supposed "benefits" of the 9C85 screen).

18. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

You weren't using MBPs during the screen lottery in the SRs I take it. They all met apple's tech specs, but some were crap. And I'm asking if there are benefits to the 9C85, regardless of whether I will notice them or not.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But it is so much easier to be paranoid.

Many (not all) Apple customers feel this relentless desire to defend their purchases for whatever reason. This also goes hand in hand with someone asking if their panel is worth the price tag. Your answer Aboo is spot on and quite frankly unless someone answers the poor kid he'll never rest.

I'll answer, from what I understand ... the panel you have is said to be less superior. Remember, making the genius bar appointment for mid week is best. Enjoy your next replacement.

20. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Actually I did, and TBH, the difference between 9C84 and 9C85 is nothing remotely close to the screen lottery in the Santa Rosa MBPs. I still cannot understand why you would give up an otherwise perfect macbook pro for a benefit, that may not really even be a benefit. Be happy that you have an otherwise flawless machine and stop worrying about the screen, since IMHO the 9C84 screen is better than the 9C85. If you want an detailed comparison, MRGoogle the forums. There was a great thread posted a few weeks ago that had photographs comparing the two screens.

21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

1.) If you were really in North Korea, it would have been illegal to sell you a MBP. :D

2.) The SR 15" did have some really bad screens. Both the screens used in the unibody 15" are much better though not perfect. You are just as likely to get unit to unit variations as one panel to another. I have both screens on two different MBPs and the differences are small. After calibration, the differences are hard to see unless you knew which one was which. Your worrying about something that's not an issue.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The question you should be asking is, is it worth your time to care?

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I must have missed the discussion on him selling a SR notebook in Korea.

Wonderful point and clearly it is since he has given so much time to this "issue" thus far.

24. bcaslis macrumors 68020

He has his location listed as North Korea. I assume it's his idea of a joke.

25. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course my location isn't really north korea...

My only real concern is if there are different specs on the screens, like if the contrast ratio is different or something. If they're pretty much the same except for the default "color profile" then I don't care. But if there are drastic differences it would be important for me to know