So my rMBP has WiFi problems. Have you? Help? Please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr Brainz, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Mr Brainz macrumors newbie

Oh dear.

I just dropped the equivalent of the cost of a child's education for a year on a laptop that doesn't work on WiFi properly.

Across the web, I can see lots of examples of people having similar complaints when Lion originally came out, and numerous pages claiming to have a fix. None of these have worked for me.

I have Lion on a MacBook Air and a 2008 MacBook Pro. Both get between 40-60 Mbps over WiFi for internet download speeds, and my network file transfer speeds are reasonable.

On my new Retina Macbook Pro I'm getting no more that 6 Mbps and if there is a network operation in progress like a screen share or file transfer then the speeds drop to about 512kbps!

File copying over the network is significantly slower also, so it's not just an internet thing.

I've attached a screengrab with 2 of my machine's Speedtest.net results - the rMBP and my Late 2008 MBP. Every time I see it I die a little inside.

Anyone else experienced anything similar? And has anyone got a fix that doesn't involve arbitrary deleting, resetting and renaming of settings and devices as described by the rest of the internet?

B

Attached Files:

2. simplekid macrumors member

Whats your network setup? Wireless N i'd imagine? If so make sure your connecting to the 5Ghz if your on dual channel router as sometimes they love to connect to the 2.4Ghz without anyone noticing. Try option clicking on the WIFI button on your menu bar and see what it says.

3. andybrown44 macrumors regular

I'm getting up to 90Mbps download speed over WiFi & haven't had any problems thus far...

Sorry that doesn't really help much

4. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep it's Wireless N. What frequency I'm not sure. Bought it when N was in Draft still. At the office right now so can't check.

If my other devices work fine with this router I can't believe that I should upgrade the hardware to fix this. For the money, ann as per their tagline, it should "just work".

I'm on a G network at the office and this is hitting the full speed for the DSL it's on.

I've found something about a firewall config file you can edit. I'll give that a crack. But the fact that it works in the office makes me think it won't do much!

5. leman macrumors 604

Which router (brand and model) do you use?

6. astrorider macrumors 6502

Any difference if you create a new user account and run the speedtest from that account? I'm not having any problems on my N network, BTW.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow, I want to live in your school district.

8. shansoft macrumors 6502

I can tell you that this is a problem for all Mac across the board since it came out.

Random High ping, and slow download....

I have that problem for every mac that I owned, but not present on PC laptop.

Also, it depends on your router. Mac's are very picky on that.

9. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I have a Netgear WNR834B RangeMax NEXT. I'm not in front of it right now, but it looks like the picture. It was one of the first N routers I think.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/514...reless-n-broadband-router-reviews/reviews.htm

----------

That is a ball ache I've not decided to try and tackle yet.

10. astrorider macrumors 6502

You've already spent a lot of time it sounds like looking around the web for a cure all, but you need to narrow down your problem. Here's what I would try:
    - rMBP Hardware: Run Apple Hardware Test by holding the d key during startup.
    - User account software issue: Test under a new user. Takes all of 2 seconds to create a new account and rerun your speedtest.
    - System software issue: Clean install the OS and rule out your own software contributions completely. Of course, have your time machine backup first. Makes restoring fairly painless.
    - Still having a problem? Try a different router at a friends or a coffee shop, although to avoid a false positive you may need to independently verify sufficient download speeds on a different computer.

11. andybrown44 macrumors regular

It's a Netgear WNR3500lv2, provided by my ISP.

12. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

That's all very casually insinuated. This is a brand new laptop. Is it not crazy to you to clean install an OS on a brand new machine?! I shouldn't have to! I'll also lose iLife doing that.

I've not done anything extraordinary to this machine that I haven't done on my other functioning Macs. This is why I'm upset.

I'll try the user account thing. The ball ache part is when all the permissions get muddled up. I've had that on 2 of my machines where I've had to re-assign permissions to a bundle of files and apps when my home folder stopped me writing to it and I had to change account. I'd love to avoid that horror.

My other hope is that Mountain Lion drops very soon and that fixes it. Apparently I'm entitled to a free upgrade.

13. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

Just ordered a Netgear R6300 802.11ac router. Screw it.

The last one is a good few years old. If this don't fix it along with a Mountain Lion upgrade I'll have to head to Cupertino and shank Tim Cook myself.

14. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

If you are even having trouble moving files over your network, then its most likely your router.

Hopefully your new one works for you

15. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Epic :) I like it .

Hopefully it is somethign with the newer wireless N card jus tno agreeing with the older draft version of N

16. Exponent, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

Exponent macrumors regular

WiFi problems here too

I can confirm that I'm seeing major wifi drops and horribly slow transfer speeds on my day-old rMBP.

I connect to a rather vanilla NETGEAR ProSafe™ 802.11g Wireless VPN Firewall FVG318, and it works well with a variety of other Macs, PCs, and game boxes.

I'm not a happy camper here....

(Otherwise I love the machine.)

17. astrorider macrumors 6502

Obviously you can ignore my recommendation to clean install or even setup a new user account if you haven't restored data from your previous mac. But if you have, what you may be experiencing could be software related. Since you're the type of person who's first thought before the items I recommended is to go changing firewall config files that require admin privileges, a software problem doesn't seem all that far fetched. I'm not trying to be harsh in saying that, but since no one knows what you've done so far we can only try to help based on what you've said.

I can understand being upset, but you came to a user forum asking for help. I assumed you wanted to try to fix your problem. By all means, take your machine back and tell Apple to sort it out if that's what you want. If there was some easy cure all that fixed any wifi problem anyone ever had, though, Apple would probably just build it in I would think.

Creating a new user account is completely benign. Same with visiting speedtest.net from that new account. It doesn't even have to be an "Admin" account, a "Standard" would work fine for this. It's not going to adversely affect anything, and you can freely delete that new account when you're done.

It's possible, and I don't mean to be a pessimist, but it seems as likely that it won't make any difference at all (if 10.7.1-10.7.4 didn't after all).

18. VFC macrumors 6502a

Originally Posted by Mr Brainz
    Oh dear.

I just dropped the equivalent of the cost of a child's education for a year on a laptop that doesn't work on WiFi properly.

That's about right. I pay taxes to fund the public school, but the cost for each of my kids to attend private grade school is about the cost of a high-end rMBP.

19. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope it works too. But my router is not the problem, because my other Macs work fine.

----------

Hi-five!

Welcome to the worst club you've ever joined.

Well, there was that 'listen to Justin Beiber whilst killing puppies" club I joined once, but we don't talk about that.

20. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

Could you go to your router settinga and change the channel number?

21. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

It's benign until the point that (if required) you need to make it your "master" account. The last times I had a chown / chmod day of fun getting everything to belong to my new master account.

I did start afresh. I don't do transfers as I like having a clear out.

I am grateful for the time you've taken to reply. I don't mean to come across as a bell end. I do enjoy to aimlessly vent.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Again, I wish I lived there unless you're talking per month (which the OP is not) and ~$250 a month is dirt cheap for education.

23. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

How much did you spend? Child's education for a year... Where do you live?

24. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

25. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Lol. It sounds like you went to a school that only costs $2100 a year... :D