iPad Pro So no 4GB ram, but free MS Office?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gigamon, Mar 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gigamon macrumors newbie

Does this change anything (in terms of picking up the 9.7 IPP or not) for anyone? This is exclusive to the 9.7' iPad Pro, so 12.9' IPP users need to pay for subscription.

Certainly nice to have MS Office for free, add that to the list of pros.

Link

2. Fozziebear71 macrumors regular

Fozziebear71

I would much rather pay for Excel and Word and use it on a 13 inch screen than get it for free and use it on a 9 inch screen. I'll keep my IPP.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Had a wtf moment - so looked it up
    http://www.macworld.com/article/304...t-office-for-free-while-larger-ipad-cant.html

4. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Does Apple Pencil work on free version of Office on the 9.7?

5. sparksd macrumors 6502a

This is why it has always been free on the Air 2 - screen size.

6. Moi Ici macrumors regular

7. TheRealAlex, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I gladly give up the 2GB RAM because Microsoft Office Full is free on the 9.7 now It's a business work expense and a Write off so free iPad Pro. Besides the 4GB RAM is pointless on the 12.9 for 2 reasons by the time Apple requires 4GB RAM for its iOS the 12.9 will be a dinosaur. And all the extra pixels you need that extra space. Besides the 12.9 is supposed to be a Laptop replacement we All know it is not. The 9.7 Pro is exactly right a powerful tablet. There's room for a Phone a Tablet and a Laptop the 12.9 is None of these 3 Halo categories so it fails.

8. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

9. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Just download the MS apps from the app store. They do a check when running as to what device you're on - if you're using the app on an iPad of any kind under 10" then it's fully functional. If it's over 10" - e.g., the 12.9 Pro - then you need an Office 365 subscription for full functionality.

10. ShinySteelRobot macrumors regular

ShinySteelRobot

My understanding based on Microsoft's recent announcement was that the Office apps are "free" on <10" devices, but you still have to pay for premium features.

In other words you can open and edit an existing document, but you cannot create a NEW document. Apparently document creation is a premium feature. If you want to be able to create documents, be prepared to hand over some money to Mr. Nadella & co. for your "free" app.

Or has Microsoft changed their stance on that, and I missed it?

In the meantime I'll stick with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

11. sparksd macrumors 6502a

On my Air 2, using the free versions (i.e., I do not have an Office 365 subscription), I can create new documents.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    See here for more info regarding requirements for using the free versions on smaller iPads -

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/io...ord-excel-powerpoint-iphone-ipad-ios-3452845/

12. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

As I understand it, there are a few "pro" features missing from the free version, such as "track changes," which is essential if you work in a collaborative environment.

13. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So can someone tell me if they can use Office for FREE on the 9.7 and use the pencil with it for FREE too.

If so, I think I'm going to take my big pro back today.

14. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Correct. Other features in Word requiring a subscription:
    • Insert section breaks
    • Enable columns in page layout
    • Customize headers and footers on different pages
    • Change page orientation
    • Add custom colors to shapes
    • Insert and edit WordArt
    • Add shadows and reflection styles to pictures
    • Add and modify chart elements
    • Highlight table cells with custom color shading

15. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Btw - I love how you rounded up the larger screen and rounded down on the smaller screen lol.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    But can I use the Apple Pencil for free on the 9.7. Pro with Word?

16. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

If anybody is reading this and are confused as to why they're unable to edit documents, you have to log in or create a microsoft account. It's free to create an account and doesn't require subscription.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

I was fortunate to be able to purchase the Home version of MS Office 2011 through work for £10 which I use on my MacBook Pro. I have Office 365 for my iPad but I don't use it a whole lot. I am more likely to use MS Office on my MacBook Pro. Using productivity apps like MS Office is not really that ideal or practical on a 9.7" display.

18. GCHASE1995 macrumors regular

GCHASE1995

Create for free

Attached Files: