Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
How do you guys feel about the loss of the MagSafe connector and that super useful built-in charging indicator light? I don't see a visual LED indicator on the new USB-C connector or even around the port.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
How do you guys feel about the loss of the MagSafe connector and that super useful built-in charging indicator? I don't see a visual indicator on the new USB-C connector or even around the port.

Out of curiosity why did you not post in one of the other 50 threads moaning about the nmb?

Me I don't care about a light and I'm not bothered about the MagSafe. The nmb is perfect if you just get your head around what it's designed for.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Out of curiosity why did you not post in one of the other 50 threads moaning about the nmb?

Me I don't care about a light and I'm not bothered about the MagSafe. The nmb is perfect if you just get your head around what it's designed for.

I guess I just find it very useful. I haven't found any thread talking about this specific feature. I'll be getting one myself, it's just that this will be the first MacBook to lack attention to small detail.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I guess I just find it very useful. I haven't found any thread talking about this specific feature. I'll be getting one myself, it's just that this will be the first MacBook to lack attention to small detail.

It would require a special circuit integrated into the cable which isn't part of the standard. The cable also doubles up as a cable funnily enough.

wisestar

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008

I agree with you! It is a pity that the MagSafe is gone but I am looking forward to the one USB-C port. But the fact that the indicator LED is gone, I am a little disappointed, hopefully a third part power adapter could resolve this issue (provide Apple allow the external access to the battery status of the system)

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
you know I never even thought about it. another great little feature we are loosing from the air. i found the light very useful.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I see no reason that there couldn't be an indicator light on the thing that plugs into the USB-C connection. I bet it will still be there.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I still regret the loss of the breathing power light on the front of the MBP's. It was comforting to know I wasn't alone at night. I guess next we won't even get a LED next to the FaceTime camera.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I see no reason that there couldn't be an indicator light on the thing that plugs into the USB-C connection. I bet it will still be there.

The MagSafe used a proprietary system designed by Apple to offer the charge status. Usb-c isn't owned by Apple. Also the charger cable isn't attached to the charger it has a usb-c on both ends of the cable so it can be used to connect prefrals

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The MagSafe used a proprietary system designed by Apple to offer the charge status. Usb-c isn't owned by Apple. Also the charger cable isn't attached to the charger it has a usb-c on both ends of the cable so it can be used to connect prefrals

How do you know there is a USB-C on both ends? Is there a picture of it somewhere? I would be shocked if there was no indicator light somewhere.

crucius

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Portugal
How do you guys feel about the loss of the MagSafe connector and that super useful built-in charging indicator light? I don't see a visual LED indicator on the new USB-C connector or even around the port.

The Macbook's battery lasts for 9 or 10 hours, charge it overnight and you will never need to check the battery level.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hate too see more of the informative type designs falling by the wayside. The glowing light indicator on the older Macs to indicate if the machine is asleep was something I truely missed. The charging indicator is another bit where it would be nice to see that sort of thing.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I will personally miss that, but it isn't detrimental.

----------

I hate too see more of the informative type designs falling by the wayside. The glowing light indicator on the older Macs to indicate if the machine is asleep was something I truely missed. The charging indicator is another bit where it would be nice to see that sort of thing.

Ah, the sleep indicator I do miss as well. I had forgotten about that.

hova

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
In the future USB-C will be so widespread and cheap i wouldn't be surprised to see a third-party making a charging cable with integrated LED. Maybe even some sort of magnetic adapter to make it similar to MagSafe.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Not having the charging light is not a "lack of attention to detail".

There are some really dramatic people in here. Why would anyone be against Apple using an industry standard?

I don't think people realize how huge this is for Apple to be moving to USB-C for charging. Literally, you'll be able to buy a third-party wall charger for $10 in a year.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
It is amazing and at the same time already tiresome that there is an explanation for everything that is considered to be a practical feature but is omitted.

Getting a 12" retina screen in that small and lite of a package makes up for a lot in my opinion.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I can't remember ever having cared what the LED indicated. What I often check is -how much- charge the battery has, but that's on the menu bar, not the charger or cord connector.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I am glad you liket the new MB.
For me there are too many compromises in this case.

I can see why you say that. There are, indeed, a lot of compromises in this first model. I have been waiting for an Apple retina screen in a small package for a long time. I'm glad they didn't skip the backlit key (like they did in 2010).

I am prepared to upgrade to a new one if they add a lot of improved features next year. I guess I am the perfect customer for Apple.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I can see why you say that. There are, indeed, a lot of compromises in this first model. I have been waiting for an Apple retina screen in a small package for a long time. I'm glad they didn't skip the backlit key (like they did in 2010).

I am prepared to upgrade to a new one if they add a lot of improved features next year. I guess I am the perfect customer for Apple.

Nothing wrong with that.
I will wait and see. Love the MacBook Air too much. The new MB does not meet my needs.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Nothing wrong with that.
I will wait and see. Love the MacBook Air too much. The new MB does not meet my needs.

Lots of questions still to be answered, including just how Apple is going to arrange their product line. There's a lot of overlap and a couple of odd gaps right now. Waiting is probably the economically smart thing to do.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Lots of questions still to be answered, including just how Apple is going to arrange their product line. There's a lot of overlap and a couple of odd gaps right now. Waiting is probably the economically smart thing to do.

I wonder how well this first new MacBook is going to sell. The price is quite a bit higher than I would expect the average person to want to pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.