So no new iPad in February/March?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sensamic, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

So we get the new big iPad, 4th generation.

I guess Apple is now gonna release both iPads in the fall, so we are gonna have to wait until October next year for the new big iPad.

What do you think? Is the 4th generation iPad enough of an upgrade to wait until next fall?

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, I wouldn've have expected a 4th gen this soon, so I suppose if Apple moves to a 6-month cycle for the iPad we could see a 5th generation model in March/April. If they did, I would assume they'd go tick/tock, new model and then a spec bump 6 months later.

3. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

I guess the next iPad in fall will be a major update.

4. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Most likely it will be in the fall of next year.

5. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Is he new iPad available to get in stores now.

6. deaglecat macrumors 6502

What would March bring ?

They have already moved to the A6X which is cutting edge.
    They have already moved to the lightening connector
    They already have a retina display and quality camera

The new Ipad is pretty much state of the art.. and beats all the android tablets (though samsung may have a credible nexus 10 on Monday).

There is no need for a March update.

7. stuaz macrumors 6502

All they can do I guess is make it lighter/slimmer/battery life increase.

Apart from that I agree with what your saying.

8. 499357 Guest

From an aesthetic point of view it doesn't fit the rest of the lineup. For example it doesn't have the "slate" aluminium for the black model and the chamfered edge. Will Apple leave it another year without making it match the iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPod? Hmm

9. tann macrumors 68000

I think yes. I don't think the next Ax processor will be ready for March time. Makes sense if they are moving the release to the fall, but by doing so leaving a big gap for the first 9 months. I assume MBP/iMacs will likely stay more towards around then intel release new processors (April-Juneish) and maybe a new product will be announced early next year? Who knows!

10. gadget123 macrumors 68000

That would stop the long queues of people waiting to buy one. The queues would be half as many would hold off until a decent upgrade comes.

People queue as they love Apples innovation. I bet there will be very little queues for the 4th generation Ipad. If there is it will be people after the Ipad mini.

11. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Schiller/Cook said they are full gear on making the processors. Apple now designs its own iDevice processors. They also have alternating crews with iPads and iPhones, so I heard.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they are making advances which allow 6-month releases for a short span. On the other hand... what more are they going to give us? I just don't see where the function can go at this time, aside from stronger processing to make the iPad/Phones more like larger computers in the future.

If they can up the processing while keeping the battery life, Apple can keep doing releases as soon as possible to beat the competition into a corner.

12. geoff2005 macrumors member

they can always improve camera and maybe extend the length and width by a little?

add flash?

new redesign and like iPhone 5.

i guess improve retina

make it what this 4th gen is supposed to be just like how this 4th gen is what 3rd was suppose to be

13. jigzaw macrumors 6502

Cook even said it, "we're stepping on the gas." I wonder if we're gonna get used to TWO generations of the 9.7-inch iPad every year.

I was waiting for the one in March, but if there IS no iPad coming in March, then I'll get the new "New" iPad. The Newerer iPad? I'll give it a couple weeks, and if I hear even a WHIFF of a rumor that a "Newerest" iPad is coming in March, I'll wait til March.

14. gadget123 macrumors 68000

That will be when the Apple buzz ends.

15. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

I would hope so sine the new one is such a minor update.

16. geoff2005 macrumors member

I think you will probably have to wait till March or at least until start of Spring 13 whether there will be a new iPad, but I wouldnt be surprised if the actual 4th gen comes out in march.

This iPad was barely even talked about, hell people were just thinking they will be releasing a fix version of iPad 3. the updates are at best a S version update.

I think there is a good chance they release a new design and update tweaks from his iPad 4th gen. So it will just be like 4th gen = what 3rd gen should have been and 5th gen = what 4h gen should have been.

17. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

I believe the iPad will be refreshed a few months after the iPhone from here on out. iPad uses the same chip as the iPhone, so it only makes sense.

18. Noisemaker Guest

This is my opinion as well. They're clearly going for fall launches.

19. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Look at the iPhone for hints. The 4S and now the 5 are announced in the fall. I don't think Apple's going to do a whole lot of spring announcements when they can make a bigger splash for fall.

Laptops will likely continue to get summer updates for back to school

20. osx11 macrumors 6502a

Apple has nothing to release first half of 2013!

Apple TV launch?

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

They will probably go to irregular update intervals as they have done with other Apple product lines. The next iPad may well be in June, at WWDC. It looks like the basic line is pretty firmly set with the new "lightning" connector, not much more they can do other than speed bumps (retina mini just ain't happening).

22. geoff2005 macrumors member

after thinking about it

This could actually just be a iPad 3S to hold everyone over for extra 6 months past spring so that they can release their true iPad 4 in the fall

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

iLife
    iWork
    Aperture
    Final Cut Pro X
    Logic Pro X
    Mythical new app
    Macbook Pro refresh next Spring
    HDTV 55" September
    carbon Fiber thingy September
    A6 version of Apple TV

24. marc11 macrumors 68000

So if there is a new iPad in Feb/Mar timeframe I guess that Apple will consider the iPad 3 obslolete (iOS wise) in one year instead of two...brilliant! Or will they be forced to support it longer since the iPad2 and mini are around...hmmm.

25. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

U mad brah?