Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travistrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
so apple didnt release new macbook pros, just airs. Should I wait to buy my first mac or just go ahead and buy one now???

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
buy it if you need it

I don't see a point in making a thread about this kind of question immediately after the keynote, I mean people have asked if they should wait until today before buying and nothing was released besides the air, what's the point of asking before the apple keynote and after? Kinda defeats the purpose...

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I was all set to buy my first Mac, that being a MacbookPro (basic 13 inch), however today has just shown that next summer if I get one now then my MBP would probs have a new OS, and even a new look (the air type Slope) and maybe even flash memory. Who is to say that a MBP now will be fast enough to run a Lion update?

I know trying to keep up to date with tech is a fools game, however when I know that so much better is around the corner I just can't help but feel that if I buy now I really will feel ripped off.

applepearpp

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
so apple didnt release new macbook pros, just airs. Should I wait to buy my first mac or just go ahead and buy one now???

I am in the same boat. I sold off my mbp c2d about 3 weeks ago hoping there'll be an upgrade today. EPIC DISAPPOINTMENT. Steve Job didn't even give mbp a speed bump. now i am not sure what i want to do too.

applepearpp

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
I was all set to buy my first Mac, that being a MacbookPro (basic 13 inch), however today has just shown that next summer if I get one now then my MBP would probs have a new OS, and even a new look (the air type Slope) and maybe even flash memory. Who is to say that a MBP now will be fast enough to run a Lion update?

I know trying to keep up to date with tech is a fools game, however when I know that so much better is around the corner I just can't help but feel that if I buy now I really will feel ripped off.

feeling is mutual. lolz. I guess i'll wait til may be Jan. but three months are really long in my opinion.

stphnman20

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Just buy it!

I bought mine last Monday. If I waited till today to buy a new mac, i'd be freaking pissed off since they didn't introduce any MBP.. But only the MBA.:confused:

nexus14

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I am in the same boat. I sold off my mbp c2d about 3 weeks ago hoping there'll be an upgrade today. EPIC DISAPPOINTMENT. Steve Job didn't even give mbp a speed bump. now i am not sure what i want to do too.

Really? I thought everyone knew the MBP were NOT going to be updated this year...

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Wait for three months (late Jan/early Feb) and you'll get a snappy Sandy Bridge MBP :D

Double Speed Intel HD Graphics, so you don't need to run NVidia
to eliminate lags with quicktime

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

Why would you do that? You couldn't just wait 3 weeks to find out before selling your MBP? BTW, there is a 2.8 Ghz option for the 15 and 17" models.

infamous84

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
guys,

they did update the macbook pro as far as in processor, you can now choose the i7 2.8ghz with turbo boost at 3.46 didnt really see this coming and i just bought mine last week

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
... in around four to six weeks in all likelihood.

Every year the same thing happens; in their retail stores the front tables are covered by the various models of MacBooks and MacBook Pro's, simply because they know that they have two months to get shot of as much stock as possible before the updated models come out.
In my local store this happened about three weeks ago. So, they are coming but it could be in 3/4 weeks or it could be 5/6.

But they are most definitely coming soon!
They have been in the front at my local store since it opened in February, then the iPhone 4 came out, now it shares the space at the front with the iPhone 4. I think my local store only has 1 Macbook though, all the rest are MBP's.

applepearpp

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
Why would you do that? You couldn't just wait 3 weeks to find out before selling your MBP? BTW, there is a 2.8 Ghz option for the 15 and 17" models.

it was 3, 4 weeks ago, can't remember exactly. I am now living on my hackintosh MSI wind and a very crappy Compaq Presario. the 2.8 option really isn't a big upgrade, know what i mean? I am waiting to see which GPU apple will put into MBP next.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
guys,

they did update the macbook pro as far as in processor, you can now choose the i7 2.8ghz with turbo boost at 3.46 didnt really see this coming and i just bought mine last week
Thats only for the 15 inch and 17 inch though, besides I'm not interested in paying how many £'s it will cost me to upgrade to that processor though when a new one should come out soon with it as a base model plus the fact that the Air has openend the door to the MBP having a better display, and even a new unibody slope look.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Thats only for the 15 inch and 17 inch though, besides I'm not interested in paying how many £'s it will cost me to upgrade to that processor though when a new one should come out soon with it as a base model plus the fact that the Air has openend the door to the MBP having a better display, and even a new unibody slope look.
The MBP already has a better display if you pay extra for it. Don't hold your breath for anything new until at least January.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
... in around four to six weeks in all likelihood.

You do realize that your timeframe would put an update in late november or early december after people have already started shopping for Christmas, right? There is no way that Apple will put out any more updates between now and Christmas, probably not until February at least.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
With these announcements today that probably ends any new products Apple will release this year.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
January; january; january!!!!

that's all we heard last year and they arrived in April.

this speculation stuff is just silly!!!!

onlnagent

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
This update to 2.8 was well know months ago in the MacBook pro line. As far as the update. If you watch the buyers guide you can almost pinpoint the updates. There are 2 per year. The next update will be much larger. And will likely include a GPU update. Sandy bridge is likely.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This update to 2.8 was well know months ago in the MacBook pro line. As far as the update. If you watch the buyers guide you can almost pinpoint the updates. There are 2 per year. The next update will be much larger. And will likely include a GPU update. Sandy bridge is likely.
The MBP was updated mid year, so don't expect anything else this soon.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I could have told you three weeks ago that selling something in anticipation of an unknown change would have backfired.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

applepearpp said:

They did add a highend optiOn for the 15 and 17... Buy now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.