So no one is disappointed in not having 64-bit iTunes for SL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Razeus, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

I'm surprised Apple is not doing a 64-bit version for iTunes, especially when Snow Leopard is released. Let's face it, iTunes has become bloated and is in need of SL like treatment.

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'm not exactly sure how much of an improvement going 64bit would make. Apart from the technical merits, why bother?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've always thought 64-bit apps were mainly about access to vast amounts of memory. Doesn't seem much reason for iTunes to need it.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What's the point? What do you think 64-bit would do? We're already removing the PowerPC code.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Just out of curiousity though. How do you know there is no 64bit version of iTunes? I have 64bit for windows, it makes sense that there is a mac 64bit version, you just don't see the difference. I'll have to test it on my mac when i get home.

6. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

because Apple's website says that all the software is being re-written for 64-bit code, expect for iDVD player and iTunes...

64-bit would provide more speed and faster access to the files. Afterall, iTunes is a database. With my 140GB music collection, sometimes I beachball 1-2 seconds simply by selecting another track.

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I don't always believe what i read :)

How exactly will it provide faster access to an already IO limited function? Plus MP3's are so easy to decode the advantages of 64bit are more or less mute. The only advantage would be faster encoding of files.

Videos are a different matter but then again it's only really the encoding that will get a major boost.

8. rekoil macrumors newbie

Encoding/decoding isn't handled by iTunes directly but the same set of libs/frameworks that QuickTime utilizes. So if those are updated to 64 bit, iTunes will see the benefit (I'm presuming a 32-bit app can link to a 64-bit library assuming the framework's API doesn't change...)

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

How exactly would a 64 bit version help?

And let's face it, whenever someone says "let's face it", they follow it by some unsupported and not well considered opinion that falls apart when you look at it closer.