iPad So no split screen in ios 8?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by magmasilk, Jun 3, 2014.

1. magmasilk macrumors newbie

Just confirming; surprised no discussion. But potentially swype keyboard?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Swype keyboard is confirmed as coming in iOS 8.

As for split screen -- no it wasn't mentioned in the keynote. It could possibly be announced later. For instance, if Apple really is coming out with a 12-inch iPad, and the split screen is a feature exclusive to that iPad, then it would make sense that they would not announce the feature until they announce the hardware.

3. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Don't count on split screen - a feature like that needs to be tested to heck and developers will need time to test and develop their apps for such a thing.

It's very doubtful that Apple would be able to sneak something like that for an OS that is 6 months out. It would be way too fundmental to the way the OS works and has way too much dependabilty on developer input to hold back.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If no split screen then rumored 12 inches iPad is fake. :apple:

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Is the split screen really a big deal though for most users? Remember, we all have our own special features we'd like to see but they have to determine the broad user base when deciding on this stuff. I find the left to right swiping works fine to switch back and forth between open apps. I also prefer the full screen at al times for an app. I hate phones because of the useless, tiny screens so why would I want to cut my perfectly sized iPad screen in half? YUK! :D

Personally I don't do much of that anyways. I'm usually working with one app and that's got my attention.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

It really is a good feature for anyone who uses it. I have it on my Sammy Galaxy Tab 4 and it's pretty cool typing a message on a forum, responding to an email on the other half of the screen, then resuming with my post when finished with the email. There are other ways you can use it. On the Galaxy Tab 12.2 Pro you have up to 4 active windows.

9. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Seems like Apple always holds back some magic for the GM.

10. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

It was one reason why replaced my iPad with a Windows tablet. For some of my tasks, having two things open side by side is more convenient than toggling. YMMV.

11. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure a split screen would be that great. Perhaps you could have a second app in a small floating window, kind of like the way you see your own image in FaceTime. That way both apps would maintain proper aspect ratio. You could drag the small window around to suit your needs.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It would be nice to watch Hulu while surfing.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

With Samsung's version you have two apps sharing the screen 50/50. You can also change the size of the app on the screen if you desire. I can't say how Apple would approach it but I like how Samsung does it.

14. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

Adjustable split screen and floating Windows would be awesome. I mean, iPads are for media consumption right?

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

One more thing? hmm potentially.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

That's cool, guys. I understand users have different expectations and desires. All good. Hope they do it, maybe I'll use it more the .:)

17. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

18. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I heard split screen won't be available till later and will be announced later

19. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Those who never try then they would never know they like it or not.

Obviously, who has Android Tablet are enjoying this feature but dont you need a lot of ram to run multi windows?

Apple are followers now, not leader. Many many new features already on android, they just might make it work better on ios because they made the hardware.

For me, to be able to answer text or whatever when i was in another app was good enough.

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah people will complain no matter what. If iOS 8 had EVERYTHING people would complain that there is nothing in iOS 9

21. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

On small phone screens, I don’t see how practical/valuable this would be. Even on a tablet, it would be too small to use a split screen, effectively. On a 17”, 24”, 27”, etc., screen, yes. I already do this on my Mac. But a 4.7” screen…or even a 7” screen….heck no. What I would like would be the ability to easily switch between program windows on my phone/iPad. Maybe have a tiny indicator on the screen that allows you to easily switch back and forth between the windows rather than closing out the app or bring up another screen to select the app.. App switching is a bit more practical on a small screen.

22. keatth macrumors 6502

apple definitely has more features for iOS 8 that they will not reveal until the iPhone and iPad announcements. Split Screen will probably be one of them.

23. Charliebird, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I was going to say how nice a spilt screen mode would be for someone who is memory challenged like myself. Especially because of the automatic tab refresh 'feature' included in ios 7. But that makes me think maybe the current generation devices can't support it with 1 GB of ram. So maybe spilt screen will be a feature only supported in the next generation of devices.

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if it comes it will be an exclusive for the new devices lol

25. sambredeson macrumors newbie

I don't think it would be too bad. If you're holding the screen portrait, when you get one app on top and the other on the bottom, both displaying a 4:3 frame in landscape. If you hold it landscape, you get two portrait windows.

Currently on an iPad with a Retina screen, they could display two non-Retina screens side-by-side with no display issues at all.