So no widgets after all huh

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darwing, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

All the impressive things they did with ios5 catching up with some of the most imparative jailbreak apps, they left out the two moat highly saught after features...

1) quick reply texting (number one reason for jailbreak for most bitesms)
    2) widgets

I think it's extremely boring having the same layout for an operating system for 5 years with no customization to the layout. Widgets and quick information selection should be one of the upgrades in iOS 5 IMO.

2. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I just want the ability to control which apps get to phone home and where they get to go. That, and iBlacklist.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I JB since iphone 3G and still don't use any of this. How is that the most imparative JB app?

4. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I remain hopeful that quickreply could be included in the final version of iOS 5, but won't hold my breath.

I'm on the fence with widgets. They take up a heck of a lot of screen real estate. I would love to have the option though.

This seems like a far more logical choice for not only the grid platform but Apple in general: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLy7gN3Okc4

Keep the grid system in tact but make the icons active with information like a widget.

5. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

If you polled every jb user, QuickReply and SBSettings would be the two overwhelming choices for most imperative features and nothing else would come very close.

6. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes if u are a jailbreaker then the most imparative I feel is bitesms.

It allows you to send a text from anywhere, just click the volume button and start typing to whoever without leaving what you are doing, it just goes overtop of the app then sends

It allows you to send future text messages, u can type a message to someone an have it send at a certain time an date

It allows you to reply, call, FaceTime from anywhere whenever u receive a text message... It to me is the single most used feature for my phone. I wouldn't even like the phone if it didn't have this feature.

7. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I was content with the standard ios - then I got bored and decided to jailbreak. I'll never go back. The features in ios5 are great and I would have been really excited... if I had never jailbroken! I will keep my jailbreak.

8. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I've converted all my friends to iPhone, then to jailbreaking... Even if it's just for lockinfo Installous and bitesms...

I would hate the phone if I didn't have bitesms

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've been jailbroken since the 3G and I love quickreply but I've never really cared too much about widgets. Although I wouldn't mind apple replacing the search bar page and turn that into a simple widgets page.. don't think I'd need 7 pages of it..

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Not even close. I use neither.

11. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

12. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

You're the minority.

13. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I would like widgets and live wallpapers and then iOS would be the best mobile os EVER!!!

14. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

I've never had any desire for widgets but that may be because I don't really know how I would find them to be useful.

Could others enlighten me? What is so great about having widgets? Wouldn't they be huge and take up tons of space? What's the upside that I'm missing?

15. Sensamic macrumors 68030

The good thing about widgets (and any other similar stuff) is that you HAVE the option to enable them or disable them. Its better to have them than to not have them. Is that simple. Some may find it useful and others no, but at least everyone should have the choice to use them if they want.

16. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Nope, I have nevered used biteSMS or quick reply, most important ones are definetly installous , winterboard or spring board.

17. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

good example would be the weather app. Instead of having to launch the weather app just to see the current temp...a weather widget would run a real-time update of the temp without needing to open the app.

18. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Well based on what u just said, u never have used them and therefore u don't have any basis to say they aren't the most important or most used app for jailbreaking... It IS in fact the single most commonly used app after jailbreaking.

Finally because u don't use them u should go ahead and download bitesms and it will change ur iPhone forever

19. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

The beat way to Describe them is in this video, android uses them very nicely already.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qjOV6je9dXM

It's a dynamic display of an apps contents, so a twitter widget would scroll the latest feed of ur followings or Facebook would show the newest newsfeed etc.

20. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

they already found out how to add widgets (jailbreak) :D so if they incorporate sbsettings into that i'll be happy

21. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

Hm, they added Weather and Stocks to the notification menu. i wonder if they'll make that customizable. that'd be kinda like widgets

22. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Jailbreak and you'll have widgets in Notification Center.

23. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1135245

Every time one of these threads come up, SBSettings, BiteSMS, and LockInfo are generally the repeating champions.

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

yeah quite a few of us here feel devs deserve to get paid. So your in the minority there. most apps are a buck or two. :rolleyes: every since mask and barrel came out solved most of my winterboard needs though barrel needs a update. and widgets don't really matter much to me. aty the end of the day IOS is what really separates android vs apple. Android keeps trying windows 8 is looking good though.