Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
So now that you folks have had the iPad 3 for quite a while was it worth the upgrade from iPad 2? I know it was well worth it going from iPad 1 but I specifically want to hear what the iPad 2 owners think of it now. I know the screen is great I get that. But if you set that aside then what do you think?

Thanks,

R.

PS I'm considering this same thing now.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Owning both a 2 and a 3 I'd say no, just my opinion. In certain instances the iPad 3 makes the screen worth it but the iPad 2 still has a nice screen and the two devices are fairly similar sans the screen.

I'd say wait for the 4th gen, that should get a speed bump but if you want to buy an iPad right now and are on a limited budget I say go with the 2. If money is no problem buy the 3.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
For me, definitely, and I wasn't even planning to upgrade. I use my iPad several hours every day as an e-reader (pdfs for work), and the retina screen has really made a difference for me. The text is super crisp. If I had just used it for recreational web browsing, I might feel differently about it.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Yeah, the novelty of 4G and Retina are pretty cool and all, but I would've definitely kept my iPad 2 if I hadn't gotten the new one as a gift. For what I do on it (Facebook, web-surfing, email, YouTube, online banking), the iPad 2 was more than capable.

If you currently have the iPad 2, I say keep it.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I use my iPad for reading a lot (magazines, books, etc). Going from iPad 2 to the iPad 3 w/Retina was a huge win for me. Makes reading much easier with the extra resolution.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
First of all thank you all for your well thought out comments. I think based on what I've read I'm going to stick with my iPad 2 and see what iPad 4 will have to offer.

In a way folks you have talked me off the ledge. I was almost set to go to the store but figured I should get some opinions first. Oh and by the way, I do all of my serious reading on a Kindle touch which in sure you all know is best for reading books and things of that nature.

Once again, thank you all!!

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I love my new ipad (having had both previous models). I upgraded and gave my ipad2 to my son, but admit that although the screen is wonderful there is little other reason to move to an ipad3. At our local school we still buy ipad2's which are perfect for most things. The only significant difference other than the screen is that the ipad3's camera is useful (whereas the ipad2's is almost useless).

On the other hand, having used the ipad3 for a while, I now hate the look of the ipad2. This is comparable to being spoilt on a PC for a higher resolution -- you can't go back once you're used to it. I'm expecting the same to apply with the Retina MBP. So, if you don't want to spend the money, don't use one! Once you have, you won't want to go back.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Still enjoying the 1st gen :)

This.

Think at this point as long as my iPad 1 doesn't explode, I can make it all the way till iPad 4.

I think the upgrade span for iPad's should be like 3 years. I find upgrading them every year or 2 years like a smartphone isn't worth it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
This.

Think at this point as long as my iPad 1 doesn't explode, I can make it all the way till iPad 4.

I think the upgrade span for iPad's should be like 3 years. I find upgrading them every year or 2 years like a smartphone isn't worth it.

Unless you got money to burn. :)

As a small business owner either I buy a certain amount of stuff or the gov't get's it.

b0blndsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
Illinois
First of all thank you all for your well thought out comments. I think based on what I've read I'm going to stick with my iPad 2 and see what iPad 4 will have to offer.

In a way folks you have talked me off the ledge. I was almost set to go to the store but figured I should get some opinions first. Oh and by the way, I do all of my serious reading on a Kindle touch which in sure you all know is best for reading books and things of that nature.

Once again, thank you all!!

Same here, I will wait for the next gen before getting rid of my iPad2. As they say, if it ain't broke... don't break it and get a new one. :p

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
Same here, I will wait for the next gen before getting rid of my iPad2. As they say, if it ain't broke... don't break it and get a new one. :p

Good for you!

I am not an iPad owner, but considering I'm graduating from college next year, I figure I'd treat myself out to an iPad 4 when it releases.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I have all 3 iPads

My iPad 1 is used for Netflix, TWC cable streaming, iTunes U, and as my general home, car and office music and audiobook player. My iPad 1 64 GB has the best buy trade-in price at around $200. Considering the functionality the trade in price is bad considering the ipod touch prices,

My iPad 2 32 GB has been sitting in a drawer waiting for me to decide to give it to a friend or sell it. For months....l.

The iPad 3 is the one I use hours a day, for work and play.

I may sound like a snobby tech nerd, but for reading and researching online, if it's part of your work or pleasure, the iPad 3 rocks.

Should you upgrade is your choice dependent on your uses.

iPad 3 over iPad 2 is no contest if you don't already hav an iPad 2.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I have all 3 iPads

My iPad 1 is used for Netflix, TWC cable streaming, iTunes U, and as my general home, car and office music and audiobook player. My iPad 1 64 GB has the best buy trade-in price at around $200. Considering the functionality the trade in price is bad considering the ipod touch prices,

My iPad 2 32 GB has been sitting in a drawer waiting for me to decide to give it to a friend or sell it. For months....l.

The iPad 3 is the one I use hours a day, for work and play.

I may sound like a snobby tech nerd, but for reading and researching online, if it's part of your work or pleasure, the iPad 3 rocks.

Should you upgrade is your choice dependent on your uses.

iPad 3 over iPad 2 is no contest if you don't already hav an iPad 2.

Just curious, but why isn't it your iPad 1 sitting in your drawer instead?

My two cents: worthy upgrade in my opinion if you use your iPad primarily for reading books. Retina display makes reading so much better. It's not that the iPad 2 has a poor screen by any means, just that the high res screen on the iPad 3 really is just such a joy to use.

That said, if you don't have money to burn, I'm guessing the iPad 4 will bring a lighter form factor, better power management (i.e., better battery life) and additional goodies.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
I upgraded and would never go back BUT while I love the screen, that's basically the only difference (albeit a big difference), I would recommend just waiting to see what the next revision will be.

Just don't use the new one for an extended amount of time, as you won't be able to go back!

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I upgraded from 2 to 3 and for me it was absolutely worth it. The text is fantastic. I can now read small fonts in tables without zooming in. I can view SEM micrographs at full resolution. I can present more information at one time in one on one teaching.

The larger memory is nice as well. I find that Safari rarely crashes on complex websites that used to be harder to view on the iPad 2.

The new screen also renders colors better which is great for viewing my photographs from my DSLR.

I get some use out of the dictation feature and keyboard. It's something I'm learning about and starting to use more and more.

I haven't gotten there yet but I'm anticipating getting more benefits from the screen when I start writing tutorials with iBooks Author.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
No regrets for me personally. Not really a necessary upgrade for iPad 2 owners even with the Retina display. However, if you can justify the price and have someone to give/sell your iPad 2 to, then go for it. Otherwise I'd say wait for the iPad 4. I've owned all 3 iPads but this might be my last until the iPad 5 because it's getting harder to justify upgrading every year.

bt2184

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
Although its not a huge upgrade, to me its worth it simply because it will allow me to sell myiPad 3 and upgrade to the 4 next spring with minimal cost. There usually isn't a huge difference from 1 year to the next but when you compare the 4th gen to the 2nd there will be quite a difference just like comparing the third gen to the 1st now.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
It cost me less than $50 to upgrade to the iPad 3, the retina display display was definitely worth that. I used dictation to post this, so that's nice too. Definitely wouldn't go back.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Although its not a huge upgrade, to me its worth it simply because it will allow me to sell myiPad 3 and upgrade to the 4 next spring with minimal cost. There usually isn't a huge difference from 1 year to the next but when you compare the 4th gen to the 2nd there will be quite a difference just like comparing the third gen to the 1st now.

This is always my main reason for upgrading. I make money upgrading iPhones. And lose a little on iPads. Let's me keep my istuff up to date basically for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.