So old people dressed like this and still do...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Mar 17, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Old people dressed like this when they were young and still dress the same years later.

Example: [​IMG]

Are we going to dress like we do now when we are in our 60's +?

Example: [​IMG]

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Everyone just has a different sense of style, although most of us tend to dress more modest as we age.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Welcome to the Community Discussion.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think that our T-Shirts will be come more modest but T-Shirt and jeans is going to be how we will dress as as we grow older.
    That or polo shirts and jeans. We are much more casual than than our grand parents or even parents time.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

That guy's ahead of his time. I think that will be the style in 2040.

When can the hotel establish your indefinite physics?

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Seconded.

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You should have your own sub-forum.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm pretty positive some of you won't be around in your 60's given the critical thinking skills demonstrated thus far.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    My sense of dress matures noticeably every few years. I used to like colourful T's with slogans, now I'm loathe to have a logo of image on a T-shirt (I'm 29 now). Spend less time in trendy shops like Diesel, and more time in GAP, or Gant, or RL. I'm pretty sure that my the time I'm 60, I'll be looking pretty much like that old guy - he's well turned out if you look closer :)

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd like to see an old dude wear an Affliction shirt ... I'm sure he'll be the same confused douche that he was when he was 20.

waloshin, PM me, let's discuss career pathing or something relevant to getting you out into the world son.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm in my 40s and I can easily say the style of clothes that I wear has changed very little, so much so, I doubt that what I'll wear in 20 years will be markedly different.

I tend to wear dungarees and t-shirts, when something less casual is needed, a simple buttoned shirt replaces my t-shirt.

What I'm saying is I'm comfortable with what I wear and I'm not about to fall into the trap of being a slave to the latest and greatest fashions. What I wear is comfortable and it looks decent.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Younger people (i.e. people in their 20s and 30s) dress like that too sometimes, and may even wear clothes like that on a daily basis. The fit of the pants, and the length of the vest may not be very "today" (i.e. "skinny jeans/pants", unfortunately....), but the clothes themselves haven't changed much.

Same goes for the lady. Perhaps a younger person would wear a dress with a different print, but put a dress and jacket like that on a younger woman, and you wouldn't think anything of it.

They just don't look cool on those people because they're really old and normal, and their bodies aren't in the same shape they were in when they were 23 years old. If they were younger, and you changed the cut and fit of the clothes a bit to fit in with the style of today, not much has changed.

Having said that, the "fit" of clothes changes all the time. It wasn't that many years ago when every guy wore baggy clothes.

Maybe, but I doubt the t-shirts are going to look the same. Also, I don't dress like that all the time, and I'm 29. I'll probably own t-shirts and jeans, and own vests and pants. I wear both casually and regularly. I guess I'll look like those old people, but perhaps more Chinese.

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Younger people have a far wider selection for attire than older people did when they were younger people. Waaaaay back, people made their own clothing. So, to answer your question: Who knows?

16. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

You would prefer this, perhaps?
    [​IMG]

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Actually, I think many young people will continue to dress the way they do today when they are older. I think the only change will be that they might choose outfits that are a little more modest. When I was younger, I'd rarely see an older person wearing any type of athletic shoe--now its quite common because they grew up wearing them--why should they stop?

In general, I think how people dress in general is starting to relax in terms of "dressing your age". Though I'd still be a little surprised to see a 60 year old in jeans from Diesel. In 40 years, maybe not so much. . .

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

According to Jeff Foxworthy, we're all riding along on the fashion train and one day we just say, "That it, I ain't going any further." I jumped off a few years back, but the wife keeps dragging me back on.:p

I can't understand modern fashion. What's with all the ripped jeans? $70 for a pair of ripped jeans?:eek::confused: My wardrobe is full of $70 jeans that I only paid $25 brand new.:D

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think I missed that train. :eek: :p :D

Thankfully. :)

20. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Wardrobe and Age

I agree, I think it will be T-shirts and jeans.

I grew up wearing T-shirts and jeans, now, in my office environment, everyone wears Standard collared (or flannel) shirts and jeans.

Most adults I see are also in t-shirts and jeans. Granted, I live in a more "liberal" and "let-loose" area, but I think Dressing Down is becoming more and more common place.

Heck, my Boss of about 50 wears shorts with socks, sandals and a vest to work all too often :)

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The whole logic of your argument fails right from the start. Old people didn't dress like this when they were young! They probably dressed more like this:

Attached Files:

22. Surely Guest

Surely

Is your boss Tobius Funke?

23. Queso macrumors G4

My clothes are mostly Italian designer affairs. T-shirt and jeans are clothes for doing housework or motorbike maintenance in.

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

waloshin is to community discussion as TheSpaz is to the iPhone forum. ;)

25. Vidder macrumors regular

Vidder

I thought the same thing, but they are kinda similar.

I think that a more interesting question is will your music trend carry through to your old age. Not that i listen to it, but a lot of people my age and younger listen to rap and techno, and other instument'less' music. I can't quite see a grandpa listening to it.