Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I'm really hoping we'll see Macbook Pros finally taken to the next level by the end of this year or even on Oct 16's keynote. I'm dying to touch my Macbook Pro screen already. We're all trained by now :) All Macbooks should be touchscreen & all have Touch ID. Whatcha think??

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Now how would a MacPad give you sore arms? It would work like an iPad.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
When I saw "MacBook Pro Touch" I visualised something like a MacBook Pro with a titled display. If it's actually flat then that's better... and given some of Apple's product naming recently it makes more sense than I'd care to admit.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
The screen is not stable enough to support touching; every time you touch the screen it would move. I made a thread about touch screen iMac and everyone hated it. So any touch screen Mac... not gonna happen. Ever.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I'm really hoping we'll see Macbook Pros finally taken to the next level by the end of this year or even on Oct 16's keynote. I'm dying to touch my Macbook Pro screen already. We're all trained by now :) All Macbooks should be touchscreen & all have Touch ID. Whatcha think??

No. No no no no!

Having a touchscreen on a laptop(or any near vertical screen from a sitting position) is a horribly stupid idea. Sure, it's cool for about half a minute, but flailing your arms around at a screen for hours on end is just about as un-ergonomic as you can get.

Go on, hold your arm up parallel to your shoulder, now hold that position for 2 minutes. Then come and tell me again how you want a touchscreen laptop.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
NO. The trackpad on a Mac Book is 100 times better than a damn touch screen. In fact, using my iPad is more work than using my Mac Book. If you don't touch the link correctly, you have to tap it again, if you need to highlight a word or a sentence, it's so much easier with a trackpad.

Touchscreen on a laptop is not productive in the least. And as someone else stated, one would have to constantly re-adjust the display angle from it moving from pecking on it.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
NO. The trackpad on a Mac Book is 100 times better than a damn touch screen. In fact, using my iPad is more work than using my Mac Book. If you don't touch the link correctly, you have to tap it again, if you need to highlight a word or a sentence, it's so much easier with a trackpad.

Touchscreen on a laptop is not productive in the least. And as someone else stated, one would have to constantly re-adjust the display angle from it moving from pecking on it.

Yes
All touchscreen laptops you see have a screen that rotates 180 and folds back down on itself, to function as a tablet.

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
MacPad guys. MacPad. Running iOS8/Yosemite hybrid. Keyboard w/Touch ID Dock. Not talking about current Macbook design. I would buy a MacPad Pro. Book is done. We're a thin world. All the power of a MacBook Pro and more, now in pad form.

----------

No. No no no no!

Having a touchscreen on a laptop(or any near vertical screen from a sitting position) is a horribly stupid idea. Sure, it's cool for about half a minute, but flailing your arms around at a screen for hours on end is just about as un-ergonomic as you can get.

Go on, hold your arm up parallel to your shoulder, now hold that position for 2 minutes. Then come and tell me again how you want a touchscreen laptop.

MacPad.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
The majority of WinDoze users aren't enthralled with touch screens. Besides leaving fingerprints, they're really not user friendly. I seriously doubt that Apple is considering touch screens for MBA/MBP's.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
There are dozens threads on this topic already, all with the same message. I am sure that Apple has enough common sense to never consider this pointless gimmick.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
No. No no no no!

Have you ever used a touchscreen laptop? They're very useful. 90% you never bother with the touchscreen, but sometimes it makes things much easier. Web login forms, audio/video control buttons, and many other things can be done very quickly. If you don't have a mouse with you and are sitting in a chair with little or no elbow room, it is a big benefit.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Have you ever used a touchscreen laptop? They're very useful. 90% you never bother with the touchscreen, but sometimes it makes things much easier. Web login forms, audio/video control buttons, and many other things can be done very quickly. If you don't have a mouse with you and are sitting in a chair with little or no elbow room, it is a big benefit.

There are keyboard shortcuts to just about everything on Windows and OS X, none of the functions you mentioned can't be operated by a proper keyboard. Keeping your hands on the keyboard where they belong'll still work faster than flailing your hands at a screen and smudging it to hell and back.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

You might be right on that one, provided that your laptop has one of those awful touchpad (like most of the laptops have, unfortunately). Apple laptops have the best touchpad in the industry. With a good touchpad, you are quicker, spend less energy, don't dirty your screen and also have a significantly decreased risk of a wrist/arm injury.

Touchpads have their use. I can also imagine that there are some dedicated applications where touchpad is preferable. But this certainly does not apply to laptops.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
I installed retail and hospitality systems for years with touch screens. That said,
the last thing I want on my laptop is touch......

One BIG NO vote......

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I've used one (Windows laptop) and really didn't like it. The touch aspect was carried out with a stylus; I don't recall if fingers could be used, too, but I don't think it would have made a difference. It was uncomfortable to lift my arm up and tap on the screen, and it felt inefficient. My hands were generally around the keyboard/trackpad (both of which were near each other); lifting my arms up to the screen and then placing them back to the keyboard seemed like a bit of a time-waster compared to just shifting between the trackpad and the keyboard.

I was using that laptop on a desk, though. If the screen were closer, such as if the computer was on my lap, then perhaps it would be a bit more comfortable... but I still can't imagine that I'd want such a feature, or that I would prefer to use it over a keyboard and trackpad/mouse.

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Love the answers guys. Ok, why would any of you guys NOT want a full-blown or even half-blown (hybrid) Mac OS in your next iPad? #MacPad

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
The screen is not stable enough to support touching; every time you touch the screen it would move. I made a thread about touch screen iMac and everyone hated it. So any touch screen Mac... not gonna happen. Ever.

Oh its happening. Apple's gonna do it right. iPad Air & Macbook Air will merge very soon.

chopstik

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
I agree. Apple will eventually release a MBA/P Touch. Except that unlike MS or other manufacturers, Apple will do it right.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Oh its happening. Apple's gonna do it right. iPad Air & Macbook Air will merge very soon.

There is no indication of that happening, as both platforms handle input in a different way. If Apple would have plans like these, they would have long started to introduce means for OS X developers to make their apps work with touch. For reference: Apple planned the retina transition for years and years before they actually released the rMBP, which is very visible from the evolution of their programming interfaces.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Love the answers guys. Ok, why would any of you guys NOT want a full-blown or even half-blown (hybrid) Mac OS in your next iPad? #MacPad
I'd rather see hardware improvements, including an active digitizer so that we could use thin-tipped styluses rather than styluses that need to overcome the 8mm detection trigger of current devices.

I think that what Microsoft did with the Surface and Windows 8 is interesting. Having a touch-based user interface alongside a standard desktop interface is a good idea, even if Microsoft botched it a bit by forcing everyone to use the touch-based (Metro) interface by default. Having two Surface lines, one using the ARM processor and one using x86 (Surface vs. Surface Pro) was also rather inelegant.

It sounds as if you're asking Apple to create their own version of the Surface. I could see how it would be useful and nice, but I think that iOS devices work alongside OS X nicely as it is. Perhaps I could do even more with an iPad that ran OS X, but as of now I use my iPad for quite a bit and don't feel overly limited by it.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Anyone who thinks that a touch screen laptop makes sense, either functionally or ergonomically, is not thinking through a real world use case.

When we get to the point where we're using screens and verbal commands like the computers in Minority Report, then I'll be agree that "touching" the screen will make sense. But having to move your hands from a resting position on the keyboard to a lifted position touching the screen is not something that anyone can do other than for a few seconds at a time.

And the time it takes to keep moving back and forth is anything BUT a time saver. Microsoft was simply trying to make themselves seem relevant at a time when Apple and both their iOS and desktop / laptops have been eating MS's lunch.

I find it funny that most of the commercials you see showing touch screen PC's, they're using them for graphics or photo related tasks - a business segment Apple has owned for decades. Why aren't they showing people use them for Word or Excel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.