So should I return my new Macbook pro 13 inch from 2019?

dapa0s

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
61
27
Just bought it yesterday, and now it is evident that the new Macbook Pro is on it's way, possibly within a month.

I already bought the iMac 2017 a month before the 2019 model came out, and really regretted it. Am I just overthinking this, or is the new model really coming out soon?
 

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
173
39
Chicago, IL, USA
Just bought it yesterday, and now it is evident that the new Macbook Pro is on it's way, possibly within a month.

I already bought the iMac 2017 a month before the 2019 model came out, and really regretted it. Am I just overthinking this, or is the new model really coming out soon?
I've read several articles that speak to Kuo pointing more to 2020 (announcing in 2019 as "coming in Spring 2020")...

So let's also compare how much you probably spent on the 13... double it... yup, double what you are spending... the 16 isn't going to be a nice basic machine like the new mac pro isn't a basic cheese grater.

That being said, the 13 and 16 are different form factors all together right?

The emotional Apple Tax, your purchase of any mac will immediately be obsolete within a year... period. New AMD GPUs... ARM chips.... etc etc.

Also, a refined 3rd year version of the MBP or a first gen 16....
 

dapa0s

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
61
27
@Howard2k

I need it for Logic Pro X, since I make music for a living. I'm just on vacation now, and won't be making music on the Mac for a couple of weeks, so I'm just anxious about my purchase, especially since I bought a 2017 iMac less than a month before they released the new 2019 ones with better CPUs.

@ux4all

So what you're saying is that I should just keep it then? The 16 inch probably will be very expensive, you make a good point.
 

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
2,536
1,818
@Howard2k

I need it for Logic Pro X, since I make music for a living. I'm just on vacation now, and won't be making music on the Mac for a couple of weeks, so I'm just anxious about my purchase, especially since I bought a 2017 iMac less than a month before they released the new 2019 ones with better CPUs.

@ux4all

So what you're saying is that I should just keep it then? The 16 inch probably will be very expensive, you make a good point.

Generally, I would say keep it.

However, I suspect that the re-sale value of the 2016-2019 will not be good. There's a keyboard problem, and although it's covered for four years, a 2017 (for example) MBPro would have to be exceptionally cheap for me to buy it when it's three years old, knowing that a keyboard repair is about to become a ridiculously expensive proposition.

Since you say you can wait, I would return it and wait. You are then rolling the dice on whatever else is available at that time of course.
 

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
173
39
Chicago, IL, USA
So what you're saying is that I should just keep it then? The 16 inch probably will be very expensive, you make a good point.
At the end of this, did you get the value for your money... if you value prestige or need latest/greatest and have the tolerance for the fact that the gen 1 of any new machine will be the worst model of the new line (hypothetical here)... wait...

for perspective, the 15" with the specs needed to push OLED/XDR pixels will probably be ~4000USD....

My guess is they'll have an IPS (Liquid Retina) 16" display i9, Vega Pro 20 base model.... with an OLED/XDR and the new Vega NAVI card.... 6k or more...
 

dapa0s

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
61
27
I'm more concerned with my 2019 macbook pro losing on value due to the keyboard problems. Obviously every mac loses on its value, but I'm concerned that these models will lose even more, but oh well, you can't really predict that.
 

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
938
237
Just bought it yesterday, and now it is evident that the new Macbook Pro is on it's way, possibly within a month.

I already bought the iMac 2017 a month before the 2019 model came out, and really regretted it. Am I just overthinking this, or is the new model really coming out soon?
Do you have a 13”?
[doublepost=1562194925][/doublepost]
Generally, I would say keep it.

However, I suspect that the re-sale value of the 2016-2019 will not be good. There's a keyboard problem, and although it's covered for four years, a 2017 (for example) MBPro would have to be exceptionally cheap for me to buy it when it's three years old, knowing that a keyboard repair is about to become a ridiculously expensive proposition.

Since you say you can wait, I would return it and wait. You are then rolling the dice on whatever else is available at that time of course.
Doesn’t make sense. There’s no keyboard issues for 2019.....
[doublepost=1562195110][/doublepost]Did I miss something? There’s only the possibility of the 16”
Coming out this year. That’s iffy even. Sure it will be announced and available early 2020. But for new 12”
14”
Or 13”? No way .... not until spring.
Keep it ! Trust me I had the 15” VERY different form factor.
 

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
2,536
1,818
Doesn’t make sense. There’s no keyboard issues for 2019.....
Hopefully it’s fixed but the changes to the keyboard don’t appear to be material, and there have been reports (not many, but it’s new) of folks having keyboard issues.

I think given those factors it’s a bit early to say that there is no issue.
 

zfarooq

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
20
16
Just bought it yesterday, and now it is evident that the new Macbook Pro is on it's way, possibly within a month.

I already bought the iMac 2017 a month before the 2019 model came out, and really regretted it. Am I just overthinking this, or is the new model really coming out soon?
Wait for the new one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PaladinGuy

zfarooq

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
20
16
You’ll be waiting a while.
I don't think so, we will have new hardware. Issues with current design has accelerated their reveal.

We will see @ next Apple event.

OP can wait a short time to see, and then either buy existing or the new Macs. He is in no hurry.
 

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
938
237
I don't think so, we will have new hardware. Issues with current design has accelerated their reveal.

We will see @ next Apple event.

OP can wait a short time to see, and then either buy existing or the new Macs. He is in no hurry.
Theres no way for a 13. makes no sense Given current 2019 ( key word 2019!) Update LOL 2020 Yeahhhh.
 

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
938
237
New design for new entry 16 inch.

Pro 13, I believe getting ram updates.
16 yeah I get it. 13 new ram update? No (although I wouldn’t mind!) you can order more RAM now. They wouldn’t do that a few months after a 2019 release.
 

eattherich

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
560
131
Berlin
He/she likely means the rumours that the 13" MacBook Pro will be updated to allow users to configure it with 32 GB RAM. I'd love to see that update.
 

dapa0s

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
61
27
I won't be getting the 16 inch, it is just too far away, and there are not enough leaks on the specs and price for me to be willing to wait that long.

And the 13 inch that is going to get refreshed is going to be either the non TB one or the TB one but with 32 gb RAM, or so it seems.

So I'm guessing I'm keeping this one, and I'm really satisfied with it so far. I wanted to get the 15 inch one, but this one is more portable, and stays more quiet when I'm in Logic Pro, which I really like.
 
  • Like
Reactions: eattherich

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
63,830
30,337
Boston
If you can wait, then wait, if you need one now, then get one now. Rumors are all over the place and its hard to bank on anything right now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
924
419
I won't be getting the 16 inch, it is just too far away, and there are not enough leaks on the specs and price for me to be willing to wait that long.

And the 13 inch that is going to get refreshed is going to be either the non TB one or the TB one but with 32 gb RAM, or so it seems.

So I'm guessing I'm keeping this one, and I'm really satisfied with it so far. I wanted to get the 15 inch one, but this one is more portable, and stays more quiet when I'm in Logic Pro, which I really like.
If you are satisfied, why are you wanting to get rid of it? Just because a new model is coming out doesn’t mean this one is going to be automatically “old”.
 

dapa0s

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
61
27
Ah, well basically, it's not perfect. I personally want the 15 inch because of the bigger screen, but only if it would be as quiet and cool as the 13 inch one. My friend uses Logic Pro as well, and his 2018 15 inch ran much hotter than my 13 inch, and it was very loud, which really bothers me. If I could get a 15 inch without dedicated graphics, and 2 coolers just cooling the CPU, I would buy it in an instant, since the integrated GPU on the Intel processors is more than enough for my usage.

But you can't have it all, and as I've said, I'm gonna be keeping this one. It's a great machine so far, it's never audible even though it's hot outside, it stays cool, and it's very fast. I'll just have to get used to the smaller screen, and connecting it to an external monitor, but hey, at least it's much smaller and lighter, so I can carry it around more.
 

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
938
237
Apple added the 2019 13" and 15" MBPs to the Keyboard Service Program on the day that they were released.

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks
That does not mean 2019 is defective lol. Rather they are being nice in covering it in case.
[doublepost=1562269529][/doublepost]
I won't be getting the 16 inch, it is just too far away, and there are not enough leaks on the specs and price for me to be willing to wait that long.

And the 13 inch that is going to get refreshed is going to be either the non TB one or the TB one but with 32 gb RAM, or so it seems.

So I'm guessing I'm keeping this one, and I'm really satisfied with it so far. I wanted to get the 15 inch one, but this one is more portable, and stays more quiet when I'm in Logic Pro, which I really like.
Yes I love mine too. Sure like the 15” but not the size.
 

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
10,830
7,656
id hold off if you have another laptop you can use for a bit

so glad I dove in on 2016 nTB (First gen) and rode it out...

not getting another Mac laptop until theres some travel on it at minimum , I have to be head over heels in love with the laptop keyboard

the design is great, the keys failed on previous one and not this one yet but I don't like that its a failure design in general and I have flexgate as well
 

dapa0s

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
61
27
That does not mean 2019 is defective lol. Rather they are being nice in covering it in case.
[doublepost=1562269529][/doublepost]
Yes I love mine too. Sure like the 15” but not the size.
Do you have the 8gb or 16gb version?