So, suddenly ANY USB is "drawing too much power"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sw201444, Aug 29, 2014.

1. sw201444 macrumors newbie

So, a few days ago, I plugged my iPod in to sync. Worked fine. Now today, I plugged it in and it said "too much power blah blah blah" okay, switched the cord, same thing. Plug in my mouse... nothing. Reset pram, and smc(u believe is the term) tried safe mode, didn't know what to do , rebooted. I dunno what else to try, if anything. When I got the laptop and updated to mavericks, one of the ports died. And now the other one is doing this randomly.

One thing that may have caused it was it does over night and I turned it back on at 8 pm, and the whole thing rebooted, not restoring from a previous state like normal.

And I don't want to hear that I need a logic board as everything is fine and it was fine until today.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Have you performed the Apple Hardware test? Is your laptop under AppleCare still?

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Sorry to hear you are having more USB problems. One of the external ports is on the same controller as the internal kbd and trackpad, not sure which of yours failed first. I think the USB port controllers are on the logic board so I am afraid they would point that way.

It is the way of the world and electronics that devices go from working, to not working so everything being fine up to today doesn't mean something hasn't failed.

Given two ports have given problems I would be suspicious that you may have a device or cable that is damaging the ports....

4. sw201444, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

sw201444 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did not do hardware test, last time I did it wouldn't even detect the failed port as being failed..

----------

I hardly use anything, and it came out of the box with a broken bottom port, (bought in '11 and not opened, i bought it, no apple care or warranty remaining, serial was already registered.)

Upgraded to mavericks and the port closest to headphone port won't do anything

And oddly enough, I come home, plug phone in and it's working...

EDIT: phone charged to 5% then it says "accessory not supported"

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Bummer. Still, what's the AppleCare coverage on it? Still covered?

6. sw201444 thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately, no. Which sucks as they want a crazy amount to replace a logic board, which is their guess as to why the first usb port died.. From what I read alot of 13" macbooks have one port die.