So, That's What a 6.7 Feels Like....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by xsedrinam, Nov 15, 2007.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Pretty unsettling for about 35+ seconds tonight around 10:13 local time. I Felt the Earth, Move, Under My Feet. I've sat through quite a few 4s and 5s without paying that much attention. This one got my attention!

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The biggest I've been through was a 5 something, so I can imagine how bad a 6.7 would have been. How far away were you?

3. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

USGS is showing the epicenter SSE of Riobamba so that puts us ~135 miles NNW in Quito.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

And that was just an aftershock. Were you around yesterday to feel the 7.7?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong earthquake...

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

USGS says epicenter 150 miles SSE of Quito, so you're fairly far. That's a pretty decent shaker though. Any damage in your area?

6. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That was the 7.7 in Antofagasta, Chile several hundred miles south, yesterday. This morning, they had another aftershock 6.8. We're all tied together with the Andean Mountain range, volcanos and plates, so there's a whole lota' shakin' goin' on.

News is still sketchy, and we don't usually get the clean journalistic "who, what, when, where, how" coverage until later. I've checked the apartment and don't see any structural abnormalities. Though I can hear sirens in the distance moving.

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Yeah, I realized that just after I hit submit... I thought to myself "Quito is over 1,000 miles away, not 175..." then it clicked. I hadn't even heard of the new one. It hasn't even hit CNN.com yet.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't remember this 6.1 but I remember some of the damage. I was four years old at the time.

9. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Interesting how the focal depth plays in damage and fall out. At 6.1 that one caused more damage and fatalities because its depth was just 6 km. This latest was some 119 km down, so I would expect damage to be less severe even though it registered 6.7.

10. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

In the UK 4.8 in front page news.

we only do tiny ones in the UK

"Dudley police said 12 people in nightclothes walked into their local police station." What the hell did they think the police could do?

I live about 3 miles from the epicenter and it just about woke me up, watching the news that night you would have thought the world was coming to an end.

11. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I remember the 6.9 quake we went through in 1989. No fun. And that one was only 15 seconds.

12. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Ahhh...memories :D

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Soil/Rock type also plays a significant role in the amount of damage, as well as nearby geography and building construction.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have never been through an earthquake, but I'll be in Japan for 3 weeks (again) during the December holiday break, so here's hoping....

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I felt that one. (I was in Santa Cruz) I've heard it as a 7.1 though. :confused:

I was in Woodland Hills for The Northridge quake too. 6.8 or whatever they called it and I was a few miles from the epicenter. It felt HUGE and scared the hell out of me.

Earthquakes suck.

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Wow did I misinterpret this thread title.

Sounds quite exciting! Providing no damage was done, of course.

That said, I'm quite glad the earth beneath my feet doesn't really get angry in the UK. Just a lil mardy sometimes :D

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I live a mile and a half from that one. Our cat was quite alarmed by it all :D

Where do you live Scott, Birmingham is a lot more than 3 miles from Gornal?

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

me too. ;) (and I was suitably unimpressed)

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Add me to that list.

Was in California on business about 15 years ago when a small earthquake hit. I was on the first floor room in hotel and scooted out the window. Scared the crap out of me.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope he's not using the metric system.

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

as a kid I experienced a 6.5 around 20 miles from the epicentre. it wasn't deep (6-10 km) and it lasted ~50 seconds. it felt like being on a boat during a storm.
    it wasn't initially scary, because I had no clue what an earthquake was like, or what kind of damage it could cause.
    but 30 yrs later i still remember as it was yesterday.

hope everything is good down there.

22. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

They've now moved it to a 6.8, after the fact. Don't know what significance that has, if any, but it's at least consistent with the science of it.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2.something was our biggest. Some folk around here could feel it, even woke them up. I slept right through :D

Call me whatever, but seeing a tornado, being in a hurricane and earthquake are stuff I'd like to do before I get too old.

24. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Signs of a clear conscience at work. Or, perhaps a short memory. :D

Know what you mean. I've done two out of three, but my daughter and I would like to ride out a hurricane some time, too. It's an indicator that we're still young and foolish.

25. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I've never experienced an earthquake in all of my trips to California, but that doesn't really surprise me.

We actually "felt" that one here in Phoenix (~400 miles away). It wasn't very pronounced, but it did wake me up and cause the hanging light fixtures at the local WalMart to start swinging.