iPhone 11 So the iPhone 11 is by far the most successful model this time?

bobsamm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2019
Imo $1200aud for a 11 64gb with a iPhone 8 screen is not good enough. Some are easy pleased though I guess.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Imo $1200aud for a 11 64gb with a iPhone 8 screen is not good enough. Some are easy pleased though I guess.
This goes back to the point of not everybody having the same expectations and requirements with their buying choices. You’re all about screen specs but don’t realise the iPhone 8 and 11 don’t share the same same screen quality?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: profets

one more

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
For the past six months, Xiaomi has been selling their A3 with 6.1" OLED for $169. Right now, Xiaomi sells their K30 5G for $289. It comes with Snapdragon X52.

I think Apple will be very comfortable with the margins on a $600 iPhone with 5.4" OLED.
I am not so sure about Apple’s comfort zone when it comes to finances, but we shall see soon enough. 😉🤚

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
To be honest I’d be more than happy if the mid tier devices this year continue to use LCD. If the screens are as good as what we’ve had on the XR and the 11, I think it’s good enough. I’d rather they don’t scrimp on other features just to accommodate an OLED panel which may have a higher raw material price. I think they got it right this year with the 11 as it’s so close in performance to their flagship range.
There has been price parity between notch LCD and rigid OLED for at least a year now. That’s how Xiaomi is able to sell a 6.1” OLED device for $169.

Once BOE entered the OLED market, Samsung’s command of the market quickly loosened. Now that Apple has picked BOE as an iPhone supplier, prices will continue to drop.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
There has been price parity between notch LCD and rigid OLED for at least a year now. That’s how Xiaomi is able to sell a 6.1” OLED device for $169.

Once BOE entered the OLED market, Samsung’s command of the market quickly loosened. Now that Apple has picked BOE as an iPhone supplier, prices will continue to drop.
If they can get the price down on OLED then that’s great but knowing Apple they’ll enjoy the price decrease without passing it onto us for a couple of years lol. I hope you’re right though, however I’m happy with LCD too.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
Surely no one goes into an iPhone purchase without knowing where it sits in the line up? So I don't know where XR sits in relation to 8/11 etc., surely I google "latest iPhone" or "iPhone releases by date".
You'd probably be surprised how many people do just that.

Old iPhone breaks or is slow, they go to the store and get whatever latest iPhone there is that fits their size requirement and budget (even when there's an upcoming keynote announcing the new models).

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
The 5.4" iPhone is expected to slot below the mainstream 6.1" iPhone. So the price will reflect that.

I think the idea behind the 5.4" iPhone is to deliver a relatively low-cost 5G device between $500-$600. The 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro will still cost $899 this fall.
Maybe they adjust prices to what it originally was on 4.7"/5.5":

$649 5.4"
$749 6.1"

Hoping base is upgraded to 128GB.

One of the reasons I still haven't upgraded is due to $1K+ price point on 5.8" and notch. I could tolerate the notch at $400-500 less (128GB 5.4" vs 256GB 5.8" Pro).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
they will this year by all reports. be interesting if the price stays the same or not.
It’s got to be really, I don’t think Apple are stupid enough to price out their biggest market. Some are suggesting the 5.4” handset will be pushed as their mainstream seller but they’ve just spent 2 years getting everyone used to a 6.1” display and I can’t see them then making a complete U turn. The prices have to stay the same otherwise it’ll further encourage people to buy older or keep longer IMO.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
It’s got to be really, I don’t think Apple are stupid enough to price out their biggest market. Some are suggesting the 5.4” handset will be pushed as their mainstream seller but they’ve just spent 2 years getting everyone used to a 6.1” display and I can’t see them then making a complete U turn. The prices have to stay the same otherwise it’ll further encourage people to buy older or keep longer IMO.
I think the 5.4” iPhone 5G will be mainstream in terms of pricing. It’s Apple’s cheapest iPhone 5G. But there’s no doubt the 6.1” will be the volume seller by far.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think the 5.4” iPhone 5G will be mainstream in terms of pricing. It’s Apple’s cheapest iPhone 5G. But there’s no doubt the 6.1” will be the volume seller by far.
It makes you wonder if the Pro will be given a price increase if the 6.1” mid tier might go up in price. I can’t imagine Apple will keep it at £999 if the current £300 price gap is due to close further. Interesting, we’ll see.

one more

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
One of the reasons I still haven't upgraded is due to $1K+ price point on 5.8" and notch. I could tolerate the notch at $400-500 less (128GB 5.4" vs 256GB 5.8" Pro).
The notch is not an issue, I promise. It only becomes a problem if you focus on it specifically. Yet when you actually use the phone, you do not see it at all as your eyes naturally tend to focus around the middle of the screen. I did not like the idea of the notch either when iPhone X came out, but in regular use it is literally “out of picture” and very well implemented.

Agreed on the price, nowadays iPhones are so common and competition so strong that paying over 700$ for it is simply a waste of money. As long as it runs the latest iOS, we are good to go, since all the speed difference between iPhone 8 and 11 series is barely noticeable.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
My daughter broke her iPhone7. So she pleaded non stop that she needed to get a newer phone to replace hers that didn't function well any more.

The carriers here in Canada were selling the iPhone XR for about $150 more than buying a replacement iPhone7. The iPhone 8 was only $50 less than the XR.. so I bought her an XR figuring that it might last a bit longer in the iOS upgrade functions.

Now does that make the XR a better selling phone to write home about? NO. I needed a phone for her and it was the best value. Would she have gotten an XR if it wasn't for the old phone breaking and Apple refusing to even take a look at it. NO. Was it that the XR had so many features that it was a must to buy? NOPE. Was it that my wife and daughter refuse to use a far superior Andriod Phone over what Apple sells. Well, I guess that is why she ended up with another iPhone.

I don't really understand the threads about how one model line of a particular phone is hyped up as the best seller as without some of the other data to go along with it is just a sales number without relevance. I have had to spend far too many times sitting in the Apple Store getting my ipad looked at, so I talk with other customers. What I find most interesting is asking them why the bought their current phone, what would get them to upgrade to a different phone, and how they would choose the new one.

The answer most often is, PRICE, when it breaks or stops running properly, and PRICE. People don't go out and buy on features irregardless of cost. Apple loves to put a whopping price on their products to give the false sense that they are worth far more than they are, then gives massive insentives through the carriers to move a particular line of phones. The sales statistics don't say if they they were giving promotonal discounts to sell a phone, just that they moved this number.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
they will this year by all reports. be interesting if the price stays the same or not.
It won’t. Apples OLED panels (They’re using LG as a secondary supplier) cost more than LCDs from Japan Display, so the price will be reflected that it’s higher, but other missing features depending on which model iPhone, would offset the cost that it probably wouldn’t be noticeable.