So the rumor is that there IS an iPhone 5 along with 4S...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PurpleHeart, Oct 4, 2011.

1. PurpleHeart, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

PurpleHeart macrumors member

but Apple had to skip it and just do the 4S because of ongoing lawsuits with Samsung and that they were forced to delay iPhone 5 until they can sort those issues out

Seriously, Apple isn't that dumb. they would have known that 4S alone would come and bite them in the a$$ after 16 months of waiting. It cannot have been the only weapon in their arsenal, and many rumors that we've heard all along hints that 4S was supposed to be the complementing model. This coupled with all those rumors that we've been seeing, certainly gives credibility to the rumor that Apple was forced to ditch iPhone 5 last minute and pitch iPhone 4S as the 'new revolutionary thing'

That would explain why they looked so nervous though. It was like going to a concert with few OK songs, with big finale, but having to do last minute changes to ditch the finale and encore

==================================

it's amazing the amount of ignorance people show

Just because it's Apple, people think that they are immune from lawsuits, patent challenges, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'm an apple fangirl too. Got my fair share of cash dumped at Apple Store. But just because I like them doesn't mean that they are free from the real world stuff

All you teenage boys that worship apple, wake up and smell the real world.

Even if Samsung wasn't directly involved with preventing launch of iPhone 5 as planned (although many sources dictate this), Samsung and other companies do have the capacity to hinder Apple and their products launch, as Apple is heavily relying on other manufacturers for parts, and many patents vital for wireless technology is owned by Apple's competitors.

You can press that down button to show your disapproval, but it doesn't change what is actually true.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple doesn't give an eff about the lawsuits - their lawyers have fun with them. There's no way they would ditch a revolutionary flagship product for that reason.

3. unobtainium macrumors 68000

The "rumour" is that Apple doesn't redesign all of its products every year. Instead, they incrementally improve upon already great devices. It's the same with everything they do. Redesigns are (at most) every couple of generations, not one year after the other. Look at the incredibly minor design changes between the first iPhone and the 3G, the virtually identical 3GS, etc. In fact, I'd say the iPhone 4 was the first distinctly different iPhone design since the device originally launched. Apple sees its designs as "Classics" - they're not gonna toss out a product design the very next year after they launch it. That would cheapen them.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I think that they will likely follow the "new design every two years and innards boost every alternate year" model. Allows them to reap the most benefit from the current design process, rather than trashing it once a year.

I'm happy the design isn't changing. I think the iPhone 4 is the best looking phone out there.

5. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I want to believe this as it sounds slightly possible, but for some reason, their arrogance today at calling the 4S an "innovative" product has me believing otherwise.

I will say though, they used about 10x more positive adjectives describing the 4S than even Steve Jobs does. It was almost as if they were pushing this phone out, knowing it won't be received well.

6. BuckDot macrumors member

Agreed, I wasn't crazy about those curvy teardrop mockups. Unfortunately I don't think they put as much into this phone as they could/should have.

7. PurpleHeart thread starter macrumors member

Exactly

before, Steve Jobs didn't have to say anything - the products themselves spoke for themselves

This year, even with the tsunami of all the praising adjectives that were thrown out, I'm still not convinced.

8. BuckDot macrumors member

Especially comparing that BS about their 3G+ to "what their competitors call" 4G.

9. PurpleHeart thread starter macrumors member

it's amazing the amount of ignorance people show

Just because it's Apple, people think that they are immune from lawsuits, patent challenges, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'm an apple fangirl too. Got my fair share of cash dumped at Apple Store. But just because I like them doesn't mean that they are free from the real world stuff

All you teenage boys that worship apple, wake up and smell the real world.

Even if Samsung wasn't directly involved with preventing launch of iPhone 5 as planned (although many sources dictate this), Samsung and other companies do have the capacity to hinder Apple and their products launch, as Apple is heavily relying on other manufacturers for parts, and many patents vital for wireless technology is owned by Apple's competitors.

You can press that down button to show your disapproval, but it doesn't change what is actually true.

10. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

The only problem I see with this is that Samsung doesn't know what the iPhone 5 looks like (they were denied by the judge).

So the only way it can work is that Apple knows which patents they'll be infringing on with the 5 and are probably trying to do something with that problem. But not sure.

11. PurpleHeart thread starter macrumors member

don't take everything that you see as face value...
    I've seen evidences that they knew that hell would break loose in the Appledom come October 4th...

12. blunti macrumors 6502a

13. Kenjhee macrumors regular

My guess (yes, it is just my guess) is that there is an iP5 in development, in fact well into development and could have been introduced today. But the new commander decided to delay launch due more to technical issues rather than legal. Tim Cook did not want his name associated strongly with a less-than-optimal new product launch (understandably so). A few more months to work the bugs out, and he can launch an iPhone with the radical new form factor that everyone was hoping for today.

My guess is that the iPhone 5 will be launched fairly soon, early 2012 or even very late 2011. (I have personally decided not to buy a 4s, and will wait for a 5 as long as it takes. No particular hurry).

14. Muro macrumors 6502

Siri, what are the chances purpleheart will go out on a date with me?

-Siri: the same probability that Samsung will win the lawsuit, none"

15. lilo777 macrumors 603

Have not we had enough iPhone rumors already? Why bother? Just buy the best phone available (hint: it's not iPhone 4S)

16. joegleur macrumors regular

i blame johnny ive. if (no pun intended) he doesn't cost so much, they could have more redesigns *shakes head in disbelief*

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

It's almost as if great industrial design takes time or something.

P.S. I don't think you know what a pun is.

18. joegleur macrumors regular

"ive" -> "if"? need me to draw some pictures for you? jk.

ps: on that note, my post was meant in humour. that said, it's a phone, not a car. 1 year would be sufficient for a steadfast team. of course the longer they can stretch it out, the more R&D cost they recover/profit from.

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The slap of reality has struck Apple.

It's the best thing ever.

Now they will gradually have to get honest, quit bullying, and play nice.

20. gazzrenn, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  21. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I think you may need to. That is still not a pun.