Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
thats what it seems by everyones posts. whats up with the yellow tint?

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
The 3G had this issue too, it just takes a couple days for the screen to cool off. Wait a week or two and these comments will most likely fade away.

JohnFa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
People are just nitpicking. Besides, there's not alot of posts about the screen being bad. People just love finding faults.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Mine looks exactly the same as my 3G. These tints are gradually yellower from side to side. I think it's a defect.

From what I've heard people with more noticeable tints have been able to get replacements pretty easily so you're probably right.

The thread I linked to also had a lot of people posting the same thing as you, so it may just be a batch issue.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I moved from the original iPhone to 3G S and the screen is just as nice or nicer. Pics appear a bit warmer but I'm not seeing any yellow tint (at least in whites).

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
My genius bar appointment is on Monday, my screen is very noticablly yellow. It'll be easy to convince them that this is true once I put it next to an old 3g I have...

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
If you click check for update there is a new update that fixes this problem and makes the screen look normal again.

No, there is not.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 76

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
I love mine. It's more vibrant and crisp than my last 3G was. I can't really see where it's yellow at all. I'm sure there are different displays going into them. Anyone know if it's still possible to enter the field test mode to identify the display?

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
mine is unbelievably perfect. no yellow tint what so ever, I've owned the 2nd gen Ipod Touch, 3G Iphone so I know what the tint is like. I compared it side by side with my friends 1st Gen Ipod Touch and it was the same hue. Nice and white/blue. I LOVE IT! Also no pixelation of blacks in videos like on my 3g, no light leaks, couldnt be better

bob616

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
The screen on the 3G S is actually really good and the olephopic coating is amazing.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Original Poster, Get used to it,

this is no longer a boutique item, welcome to mass-production, lowest common denominator, ect, things we use to attribute to Microsoft....

8 is the new 10...

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Original Poster, Get used to it,

this is no longer a boutique item, welcome to mass-production, lowest common denominator, ect, things we use to attribute to Microsoft....

8 is the new 10...

Boom well said, the truth sucks, and its hard for hardcore fanboys to swallow...

golden3159

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Actually, there is an update but it cannot be updated via iTunes update. You have to click restore instead of update and let it download the new build. If you compare numbers in "about" afterwards, it changes. There is a thread on this somewhere on the forum.

It may or may not work. Some people said it fixed it, others saw no difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.