So the Series 2 and Series 1 have the same dual core CPU!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kendo, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Right on! I don't care about the GPS right now and love the fact that the Series 1 is $100 cheaper. If they have the same performance, that is really the one thing I care most about. Is it true that the Series 1 and Series 2 have the same CPU? Apple upgraded the cheaper watch with a next gen CPU?

I always planned on getting the 1st gen Apple Watch after the release of the Apple 2, but if they release a "new 1st gen" aka Series 1, I will just go with this model. I can't imagine the 1st gen Watch to be much cheaper than the Series 1, and I'd rather pay an extra $25 to get the dual core CPU.

2. Sukach macrumors regular

Same CPU, but Series 2 has the GPU and I don't believe that was added to Series 1.

3. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

So...the AW1 is for Walmart buyer and cheap people? Omg...don't buy it!!

4. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

Whilst the GPU isn't mentioned, I suspect it's the same in both. They're so integrated in the S2 package there would be a significant extra effort to pair the new processor with the old GPU.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Agreed. They call it one chip.

6. Sukach macrumors regular

Good point. But then what else is in the "S2" that isn't in the "S1P"? Otherwise, they would just say both Series have the S2.

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Once Apple decided it wanted to keep the AW (now AWs1) on the market, they basically had to use the same CPU (and perhaps GPU) in both. My guess is that the mfr fab that makes these chips has been retooled from 1st gen to 2nd. Not enough volume for two fabs or two lines.

8. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Yes, AW Series 1 will have the same S2 chip as the AW Series 2 (includes the upgraded GPU) so the series 1 will be as fast as the series 2. Differences are just GPS, better water resistance and brighter screen on the series 2, plus looks like Series 1 will only be available in the aluminum finish.

9. profets macrumors 68040

According to the product page: http://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

The Series 1 has the S1P and the Series 2 has the S2. But these are "systems on a chip", maybe the cpu & gpu are the same but the GPS is what differentiates them?

10. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

WOW..... really! Judge much?

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I just placed an order on Walmart.com. Does that mean a 'lowlife' like me is not allowed to post with you 'high class snootys"?:rolleyes:

12. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Oh, my bad it looks like they aren't both the S2, but yeah my guess is that the S1P and the S2 are the same except S1P has no GPS onboard. I doubt they would make a new series 1 chip with upgraded CPU cores but an old GPU.

13. profets macrumors 68040

Yeah, I think you're right, considering the S1P and S2 refer to the whole system that's encapsulated and not just the CPU.

Essentially all these watches are new in terms of the internals (and speed), but the Series 2 is adding full waterproofing and GPS.

14. newdeal macrumors 68020

Even without needing GPS I would buy series 2 for the waterproofing

15. WLS, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

WLS macrumors 65816

Yes in comparing them the series 1 is said to be a S1P not an S2. If the GPS is built onto the S2 chip then this would explain the different designation as the S1P would not have GPS.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    well I've been comparing the two series and although I had some interest in the series 1 without the GPS, the addition of the greater waterproofing and better screen has me leaning now to the Series 2 as worth the extra money. I'm ready to order the gold aluminum version with the coffee woven strap. Has anyone else noticed they raised the price of the 38mm model so that now only $30 separates them?

16. Germwise macrumors regular

I think the series 2 will also have a larger battery (to deal with with GPS). So if you don't use the gps, you could expect better battery life?

17. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

I think she was being sarcastic. :p

18. amb* macrumors newbie

amb*

The watch battery page mentions testing on series 1 and series 2 explicitly for all of the categories except for GPU performance, where it only mentions series 2. I wouldn't get your hopes up for the GPU to be in the series 1.

19. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Doubtful.
    The motive behind the S1P was to raise the bar across the entire line for developers (and experience, of course). There would be little point in them increasing performance in the CPU to have devs dance around GPUs, plus I assume Apple has bound those tightly together in the silicon with specific arrangement.
    And the CPU section only mentions Series-2, too.

20. StevefromOz macrumors newbie

StevefromOz

From Apple.com/Newsroom
    Apple Watch Series 1 is available in lightweight aluminum and combines the new powerful dual-core processor and GPU with all the incredible features of the original Apple Watch, making it up to 50 percent faster and available to even more customers, starting at just $269 (US).

21. blwade macrumors 6502

I've been debating this myself... The water proofing is kind of nice... I doubt I will be without my phone much for the gps... And it is the difference between $300 and $400!!

But the fact that the battery might be better if I don't use gps on the watch in series 2 is something to seriously consider.. But, maybe it doesn't matter? They did brag about how quick the watch would pick up gps... Maybe it's always running and can't be disabled?

I also think it's a bummer that we can't pick the band of our choice... Why are we limited to what they pre-select??

Decisions, decisions...

22. skyehigh macrumors member

Was expecting it to be thinner , nothing in that presentation changed my mind on having one.

23. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Just wait on iFixit to confirm if the GPU is there or not.

24. cschmelz macrumors 6502

He was JOKING my friend...