so the simple answer for high end gaming on a macbook pro is?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sniperhunter, Mar 14, 2008.

1. sniperhunter macrumors newbie

i wish I could do a poll for this. but if the consensus from various posts ive read..

If im a gamer- but not a fps counter and excessive tweaker. im assuming that if i want to play games like COD4, the new UNreal, Crysis, and future ones, im assuming that i shoudl buy a PC laptop? or would a new macbook pro with 256 or 512mb video handle all of the above on high or "ultra high" settings??

im generally tired of doing everything right on Pee Cee and having it throw a tantrum like a 2 year old when i want to surf google.

I like stuff like garage band, but i dont know how much i really would use it. as a current PC owner, i dont have any nifty programs that come out of the box as a basis.

so here is the simple question. IF i want a laptop that can handle high end games on high end settings and the max money is $2200 should i be looking at PCs instead of macs? of course apple.com says i should get a mac, Dell.com says PC. but what do everyday users or gamers say?

thanks and happy computing!

2. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

OK. Just my 2 cents.

If your looking to use the laptop for gaming, then buy a PC. They are much better for that sort of stuff for sure. Maybe go for an XPS or something. :D

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you read the other thread on 3DMark06 scoring, the MBP gets a 4414. You use that as a comparison.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to agree. Unless you really have the money to burn a MacBook and gaming desktop are a much better buy.

I got my pair of computers for around $1,600.

6. kellah macrumors regular

+1

7. comptr macrumors 65816

When I had my dell I used my laptop for gaming and it worked fine. I see no problem using a laptop for gaming. I only use laptops for gaming.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

+2 ;)

Unless its a fully loaded dell xps.

9. macthille macrumors member

I've tried some demos on my 2.5 Ghz penryn:

CoD4 runs quite smooth on high at 1440x900 but no AA.
    Quake 4 (old...) runs at ultra high and high res, have not tried AA.
    UT3 runs on high and 1440x900
    Crysis... well... Runs well on 800x600 on medium and "quite well" on high but it looks really crappy with that resolution. Try anything above that and it will be painfully slow.

So it can run some games without problems.... I don't use this machine for gaming, it's just a bonus =)
    I got 4100 points in 3Dmark06 on standard settings.

Edit:
    So, it's not a high end gaming machine. You can play games on it but not maxed out.

10. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

A 8600m GT will never be anything more than a mid range video card. It was never intended to be anything more than that.

With that said, Crysis will surely run, but not at "High" or above settings. Top of the line computers with 8800 Ultras have problems running Crysis at maxed out settings and high resolutions.

If you're wanting high end gaming on a laptop, then Apple isn't really the laptop manufacturer you should be looking at. No offense to Apple, but their laptops just aren't intended for it. An 8600m GT doesn't scream high performance. If you want something for high end gaming, then you're looking at a 17" laptop, which IMO, you can just throw out the "mobile" part of a laptop.

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Excellent point!

Even better point!

Looks like the first two posters covered your question pretty well...

12. sniperhunter thread starter macrumors newbie

for the most part. but the "kicker" is that i actually have a genuine need for a laptop.

I currently have a desktop pc.
    athlon 64 2.2 (socket754) // i gig ram//512mgb visontek x1300 video(agp8x).

i thought id throw crysis in there. the only games i really do on computer are wow, maybe unrealIII, and maybe call of duty/ age of empires/medieval total war... so if a MBP can play
    1) Unreal III
    2) COD4
    3)AOEIII
    4) any of the Total war seris. than im set.

so if i cut crysis out- and i need a laptop (honest for school)-and i like the 4 above games.
    am i set for a MBP? come on :p, Im pratically looking for a excuse to buy a mac ;p

but there is ibuypower.com too so..................... back to the proverbial drawing board

13. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

As long as the games you want to play aren't as demanding like Crysis then you should be able to play them alright at mid to high settings. An 8600M GT isn't going to handle ultra high settings though or games that put the screws to even high-end desktop parts like Crysis. If the game you're wanting to play is pretty popular then google some video card reviews and see how the high-end desktop cards handle the game in benchmarks. If they get really high fps then the 8600M GT should be able to run it at 1440x900 or lower. If it looks like it takes a high-end graphics card or even SLI or Crossfire to run the game real well then forget about playing it on an 8600M GT.

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If you are set on gaming and set on a laptop, do yourself a favor and get it from xoticpc.com . However, if you want 8800m, you're looking at more than 2200 from there.

Otherwise, get one of the gateway laptops that have the 8800m GTS.

If you can wait, Clevo is releasing a 15 inch model this summer (montevina) that will take 8800m and can be upgraded to 9800m when it comes out.

15. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Alienware has the best 15.4" gaming notebook currently available with the 8800M in it.

16. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

If you're looking for high-end gaming on a notebook, go with Alienware, Dell, or another manufacturer which offers the NVIDIA GeForce 8800M graphics card. The 8600M GT is alright and can handle a lot of games at decent settings without any issues but if you're planning on going all-out, the 8800M is where it's at.

17. bov macrumors 6502

i run all orange box games very well on my MBP. havent tried any other FPSs though

i would say if you JUST want a laptop for gaming, go for something other than Apple, but if you want a laptop for everyday tasks AND gaming, go for a MBP, since it runs OSX :D

18. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I think you should opt for an Xbox 360 or a PS3 for gaming, and get a MB. If you are against console gaming, then look at Alienware laptops. I got the m15x and it screams for gaming, but cost more than my MBP. BTW, Alienware is owned by Dell, but their new laptops blow the XPS away in the looks department, since they copied Mac hehe. ;)

Good luck to you, whatever you decide. :)

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If you want a 2700 dollar piece of crap that overheats and has the plastic casing crack without explanation.

If you are serious about getting your money's worth out of a gaming laptop, you will not buy from Alienware or Dell. Seriously, buy from xoticpc.com or pctorque.com

20. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

This happened to you? Mine is magnesium alloy, not plastic, and retains less heat that whatever plastic crap to which you are referring. heh.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That sentence doesn't make sense. Gaming laptops are by definition very expensive, and need regular replacement, as the graphics cards aren't replacable.

If you are serious about getting your moneys worth buy a small form factor desktop PC (i.e. Shuttle) with an LCD. If you need a laptop as well buy a MacBook or a cheapish PC laptop.

22. aforty macrumors 65816

I don't know what you consider hardcore but I just finished Portal on my MBP, playing maxed at 1600x1200.

23. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Well, I guess I have to repeat myself. If you are serious about getting your money's worth out of gaming laptop, you will not get an Alienware or a Dell. This has nothing to do with whether or not you should be getting a laptop for gaming. That's his choice.

Honestly, if you want some longetivity out of a gaming PC, wait this summer for Clevo's 15-inch montevina based laptop with a 8800m. They are also promising upgradeability to 9800m when it comes out. (This comes from using a standard format like MXM).

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure your suggestion will give you better value than getting a Dell/Alienware (or an MBP), it just won't give you good value for gaming ;).