Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why do you guys think it's going to be so long? You are talking about Apple's primary iPad model continuing with last year's AX processor for nearly another year. That doesn't seem to make sense. Why not January or so, for example?

Because Apple want you to buy a more expensive iPad Pro instead.

risenshine85

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Yes. But have you guys through the about just supply chain and stuff. Apple has too many things to juggle. Why do you think tv and pro was t launched with iPhone. To have more iPhone sell? No. It's about supply chain and distribution as well.

On top of it. It needs one big ticket item or more to end the quarter well.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Going to say not until next year. They want all the attention on the iPad pro and not have the air 3 possibly stealing its spotlight.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
This is exactly what happened to iPad 3. Apple released iPad 3 and a few months later released iPad 4. Think about it. iPad mini is always behind iPad Air. We know that 3-D touch with the new technology that Apple would want in its flag ship iPad. iPad pro is not a flagship model. It's for a very niche market. It's either for designers and/or business folks who would want a bigger screen and keyboard. It's not for your usual home use or grand ma types.

That said, apple pencil doesn't have a place to stick or attach. Have you guys throught about it. Cuz it's not just made for one product. It'll be rolled out for all iPads in the future.

iPad Air 3 will be coming soon. Also this sale at staples only further validates this assumption.

Yes, but the iPad 3 turned out to be a disappointing upgrade and was followed in short order by a real catch-up upgrade. I bought an iPad 3 and was very annoyed when it became outdated five or six weeks after I bought it. I'm not sure Apple is going to repeat that, but you never know.

littelsquidge

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
This is exactly what happened to iPad 3. Apple released iPad 3 and a few months later released iPad 4. Think about it. iPad mini is always behind iPad Air. We know that 3-D touch with the new technology that Apple would want in its flag ship iPad. iPad pro is not a flagship model. It's for a very niche market. It's either for designers and/or business folks who would want a bigger screen and keyboard. It's not for your usual home use or grand ma types.

That said, apple pencil doesn't have a place to stick or attach. Have you guys throught about it. Cuz it's not just made for one product. It'll be rolled out for all iPads in the future.

iPad Air 3 will be coming soon. Also this sale at staples only further validates this assumption.

I'm not sure I understand your iPad 3 to iPad 4 comparison. The Air 2 was released 12 months ago.

If they release an Air 3 very soon (with 3D Touch) it's going to make the Pro look handicapped...

... unless of course, the Pro does have 3D Touch, and Apple were saving some surprises for when they announce launch dates. They didn't reveal everything about the Watch when it was first announced.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
No new iPads any more this year. Not that we need new ones, the Air 2 is still a beast in terms of performance and battery life. Apple will hold an October even though, like they always do. Feel like it's Mac time again.

Reactions: sracer

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
Next year -- since they updated the Mini, and the Pro was announced (even though it won't ship until November), that tells me no Air 3 this year. If there was one, wouldn't they have announced it with the other two? If there was an October event, they could have did iPad Pro there, since it's not up for pre-order, and doesn't ship until November anyway.

My bet is WWDC 2016 for an Air 3. Macs will probably be updated early next year, so maybe they could shoehorn it into that announcement, but I'd not be surprised to see it go longer.

They did call the iPad Pro their new flagship iPad, so perhaps they want to give it some time with higher end specs before they move that hardware lower down the model line.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Have a feeling Apple is going to push the iPad Prosumer and its adoption will decide if and when the iPad Air 3 will be released. If Apple prices the base iPad Prosumer 32GB accordingly at ~$599 there's no need for the too small for productivity iPad Air 3.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
What are the best guesses for the iPad Air 3 launch? I want to upgrade from my iPad Air, but this far into the life cycle of the iPad Air 2 - I don't see much point going for that one now!

Any guesses or ideas?

Thanks

Seems like the iPad Mini is on a Refresh Cycle with the iPad Pro they were announced dame day and the iPad Air 3 will maybe get a name change to the iPad Air Pro
Probably 3 Core A9X and still 2GB RAM
the BIG seller will be in 2016 iPad Air 3 or whatever they call it will be $499 base model no more 16GB but 32GB standard.

It will not have, 3D Force Touch because the Actuator needed to Vibrate something iPad Size would require too much batttery power.

Apple Will Separate Based on Features

iPhones get 3D Force Touch
iPads get Split View
iPad Pro gets Pencil Support and Split View its the Top Tier line

They will NOT cross features

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I think we will see the Air 3 early next year. With so many consumer products that may be due for annual refreshes (Phones, Watches, iPads etc) Apple will want to space them out.
The screen technology in the Air 2 is different to the Air 1 which is why so many bluetooth styluses dont work for the Air 2. The Air 3 will adopt the same screen technology as the iPad Pro plus force touch and it will work with Apples new keyboard technology and the stylus. Additional functionality like that will give the Air a new lease of life and will boost what has been flagging sales

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Candidates: October 2015, Spring 2016, September 2016. My best guess: Spring 2016. But this is Apple, so who knows? ;) Unless you really want the full multi-tasking features of iOS 9, stick with your Air for a while. It's a great iPad with awesome battery life.
What about a November Keynote with the iPad Pro Pre orders? Followed by a promised "Early 2016" release in June?

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
iPhones get 3D Force Touch
iPads get Split View
iPad Pro gets Pencil Support and Split View its the Top Tier line

They will NOT cross features

Possibly correct about the other 2 ... but I disagree regarding 3D touch. It might take some time for it to come to iPads but I don't thing Apple would have brought it to the iPhone if they were not in a position to bring it to other iOS devices (iPad AND iPod touch ... unless they let the iPod die).

3D Touch is very tight to the software and user interface and is much less of a niche feature than the pencil. If it is not supported by all iOS devices it is doomed to remain a gimmick as developers will always have to consider it a secondary way of doing things which comes after the primary non 3D touch user interface (necessarily primary and more important than 3D touch as is it would be the only one working on all devices). Not to mention the potential for confusing users which will naturally expect to do be able to perform the same action in the same way across the iOS product line and would actually have to learn 2 ways of performing the same basic actions depending on the device they are using.

I don't think Apple would have developed the technology and made the phones thicker/heavier for something which is only going to be a secondary way of doing things for power users on the phone only. They want it to become mainstream and it mains support on all devices.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I think we will see the Air 3 early next year. With so many consumer products that may be due for annual refreshes (Phones, Watches, iPads etc) Apple will want to space them out.
The screen technology in the Air 2 is different to the Air 1 which is why so many bluetooth styluses dont work for the Air 2. The Air 3 will adopt the same screen technology as the iPad Pro plus force touch and it will work with Apples new keyboard technology and the stylus. Additional functionality like that will give the Air a new lease of life and will boost what has been flagging sales

I broadly agree, but not sure about giving the Air 3D touch before the Pro though. If the Air 3 comes before the Pro 2 Apple might (sadly) defer 3D touch to the Air 4 so that all features come to the Pro first.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Since the released the Mini 4 is September instead of late October there is no telling. They will release it when marketing tells them it will be most profitable.

That ^^^ is the only certainty in this discussion. Other than that, all you can say is: "It's Apple, who knows?"

Reactions: ron7624

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I asked Siri this a few weeks back and she told me to stop procrastinating and just get the Staples deal for $150.00 off so I took her advice.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
As per the title?

And reason/s why?

Also, what do you think will be updated/included in the refresh?

Reason? Why? Ok My guess....
Reason: Apple comes out with new iPad Pro....put on hold for iPad Air 3
Why?: Apple is trying to figure out how many new Apple fanboys and old Apple fanboys are going to buy an iPad Pro... with big cash from iPad Pro sale then Apple can make more iPad Air 3 for Spring 2016.
Does that make sense? No?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.