Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Remember folks the new iPhone uses a micro sim so using a curent sim on a 2G phone will not fit in a iPhone 4 Sim slot.

cjthebest

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
OMG! I just looked at the recipt and it says at the bottom that it is a close-out item and cannot be exchanged!!!!!!!!!!! I was lied to!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: I tried calling, but they are closed. I will call in the morning.
Don't worry I called the store manager and he said he would be able to exchange it for me! :D

homerjfry

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There may be a way, but in the end it probably doesn't matter. Unless you download movies/TV shows over 3g you don't need unlimited. And you get to save a bit of money.

Not trying to be confrontational, but what about Google Maps, streaming radio, etc. Does the data usage on that not really impact the phone all that much?

chillstatus

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Los Angeles
LOL Glad I could help. AT&T didn't think of everything when they announced the new caps. There is always a way to get unlimited as long as you have a 2G iPhone.

Will it work if I downgrade to a 2G iPhone by putting my sim in from my 3GS? Once AT&T OLAM identifies it as a 2G iPhone, can I go in there and switch it to the $20 unlimited + 200 SMS and then proceed to upgrade to iPhone 4 with grandfathered unlimited?

I'm actually still on medianet and feel like if I try to cut sim and put in in iPhone 4, my plan will automatically get switched to 2GB limit.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Will it work if I downgrade to a 2G iPhone by putting my sim in from my 3GS? Once AT&T OLAM identifies it as a 2G iPhone, can I go in there and switch it to the $20 unlimited + 200 SMS and then proceed to upgrade to iPhone 4 with grandfathered unlimited?

I'm actually still on medianet and feel like if I try to cut sim and put in in iPhone 4, my plan will automatically get switched to 2GB limit.

There have been a few people who said that they were prompted to downgrade to a 2G data plan the second they put their 3G sim into the original iPhone.

You can downgrade to the $20 plan yourself by getting a new sim and then restoring the phone after you've made a backup. Make sure the sim is in the phone and then once restored, iTunes will prompt you to activate your "new" iPhone. When prompted, choose the option you are replacing your current iPhone with this iPhone. It will then ask you to choose what plan you wish and give you the $20 +200 SMS option automatically. The phone needs to be restored with a never been used sim for this to work.

Now you can restore your backup that you made before you did this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.