Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
It's possible there are a lot of people (the ones complaining) who went straight from the 2G to the 3G S, and thus aren't used to the extra battery drain associated with the 3G network.

Ysulyan

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
I totally agree with that the new 3GS battery really sucks, in comparing to what I got on my old 3G phone, on the same 3.0 OS, with the same settings and everything.

I'll take the suggestion in another thread to completely drain it and recharge it for a few cycles to see what happens.

Schweez

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Update:

I called ATT earlier because I couldnt connect to check mail, facebook, etc... Turns out my data service hadn't been switched over, so she fixed that.

Hopefully this had some sort of effect on the battery and I will be better after a charge tonight. We will see...

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I also think it could be a huge psychological issue based on the battery percentage now displaying.
Before the 3G S, we were simply worried about keeping our battery in the green territory (20%). Now, however, that we have actual numbers behind it, less than 50% seems unacceptable to us.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Wifi,3G, location services all on. Brightness 80%. 58 minutes of usage and 3 hours 48 minutes standby with 86% battery left. Seems normal to me.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Well, my 3G S is currently at 70% with 3 hours and 3 minutes of use and 5 hours and 50 minutes standby.

Listened to music for about 1 hour and 15 minutes at the gym and the rest of the use was web browsing, 15 minute phone call, and about 15 minutes of "Let's Golf" (which I love). There was also some random flipping through photos, checking settings, checking email about 10 or 12 times, etc.

Wi-Fi and 3G are on. Location services off. Brightness at 50% with auto brightness turned off.

It seems that battery life is fairly decent. The weird thing is how quickly it drops from 100% to 90%. On my 1st gen phone I wouldn't see the battery meter show a "gap" until about an hour of use. My 3G S shows that gap in about 25 minutes.

Still, in the long run it seems to hold up pretty well.

ckhris

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
My 3gs seems to suck down quicker than my 3g did, I find myself charging it alot more at work doing the exact same things I did with my old one.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I was surprised to see I lost 22% with about 8 hours overnight of standby on Wifi. Practically every other night with the 2G I'd put my fully charged phone on the table with my keys and wallet and it would show full charge the next day with the same settings. Either there's an app gone screwy, the 3G S has a ridiculous battery life, or my phone needs to be replaced. I've started to take some screen grabs of my usage through the day.

Tonight I'll put it in airplane mode and see how much charge is left and work from there.

AzWildcat

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
3 hours and 11 min of usage...some heavy texting this am, listened to music, and checked the app store.....im at 60%....took my phone off the charger at 730am..it is now 3:42 pm....

do you think my battery is defective??? am i going nuts?? ive researched all the battery threads,,done all the "fixes"

Usage : 58 mins
Standby: 2 hr 58 min

Battery level 80 %

Light Usage: Checked email, downloaded Google Earth(3G), made a few calls '

but my battery has been rather bad, ofcourse I'm coming off a P1i and that beast only needed charging about 3 times a week after some pretty intense usage; am I being paranoid about my iphone battery?

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
I was surprised to see I lost 22% with about 8 hours overnight of standby on Wifi. Practically every other night with the 2G I'd put my fully charged phone on the table with my keys and wallet and it would show full charge the next day with the same settings. Either there's an app gone screwy, the 3G S has a ridiculous battery life, or my phone needs to be replaced. I've started to take some screen grabs of my usage through the day.

Tonight I'll put it in airplane mode and see how much charge is left and work from there.

My 2g has been on standy for 2 days and 2 hours with 21 mins of use and it's almost 100% battery.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Related to carrier File Update ?

For those that have battery drain have you updated your carrier file to enable MMS and Teathering

analytical44

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Philly
I felt like the battery was draining quicker than my 3g for the first day. Now it's lasting absurdly long. I have push off; location services, 3g, and wifi on. Bightness at 25%. Most of my usage has been music but I've sent/received probably about 70 texts (total) and browsed (on wifi) for about an hour or so. I also loaded some songs/artwork so it was on the computer charger for about 15 mins or so while syncing.

I'm trying to drain the battery so I can calibrate it so I'll be using it heavily tonight. Since the beginning of this post it's dropped to 47% so we'll see how it does with some YouTube or something. (Side note: I was writing on the iPhone until I realized I couldn't attach a picture straight from the camera roll. :( Then I realized it wasn't a problem because I could just copy the text to notes, email it to myself, and then finish on my laptop. First time I've gotten to see the benefit of copy/paste. Made me very happy :D I digress...)

I highly suggest that everyone lower the brightness as it worked wonders with my 3g and IMO 25-35% is more than sufficient. I never had any problems with my 3g lasting all day and there were many occasions where it made it through two full work days on a single charge. I don't think I realized that people just chill at 80% on the regular. I've only seen 80%+ on any of my iPhones the first day I got the original boy and was playing around with it. For those of you who are having issues, give it a try, I think you'll be able to see the results.

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 54

Goldielocks19

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
NY
used to get 1 1/2 with my 3g, now with the 3gs...im barely making it 3/4 a day. so far very disappointed with the battery life.
im a very heavy text messager. so i expect less life, but since the advertised better battery life, i am quite disappointed. i hate having to cut back using my phone just to conserve some battery life.

DC Hurricane

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
Percentage jumping weirdly

I have a weird problem. My battery seemed to be doing fine. Took it off the charger at 8 and then about 45 minutes of talk time, a little tweeting, couple youtube videos, 45 minutes of ipod, and some texting and I was down to about 60% battery life with about 2+ hours of usage. I then plugged it into my macbook for a few minutes to sync some things and it went up to about 65%. I took it off sent a tweet and maybe a text or two and the next thing I know my battery reads 35%. This is the third time my battery has done a significant jump. The other time was when I was using the GPS and talking for a while and it jumped from 40% to 10% and the other day it jumped about 10% from 70 to 60. Should I be concerned or is this just the reader not working correctly. Yesterday I had 4hrs and 41min of usage and 17hrs and 18min of standby. What do you guys think?

Surklyn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Ok.. first test: Got phone at 10pm (delivered.. just got home from work.) played with it for a while.. then charged it at night.

First Day:

Full brightness. 3G, WIFI on.

Morning. 6:30am (YES quotes start streaming at this hour)
Streaming E*Trade quotes for about 45 mins.
Showing all my friends my new phone (video / texting / speed.. etc..)
Constantly UPDATING and streaming E*TRADE quotes (I use E*trade consistently every day.. all day)
Checking e-mail, texting and calling.

Around 5-6pm I was at 10% battery life. Frankly.. I am on the phone (using it as a "computer" more than a phone) all the time.

On my 2G I wouldn't have made it to 12pm before I was almost dead.

This phone has an amazing battery. Before this test however, I did run the battery dry and Charge to full.. (I guess this calibrates the battery from other posts I've read)... my battery lasts much longer now.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
usage: 3 hours 37 minutes, 15hrs standby

down to 37%. been surfing a lot, listening to music and playing games.
I say that's decent.

Spidesol

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
so i have my 3GS on full brightness,wifi,bluetooth on, and watching you tube for about 2 hours and my battery is at 75%!! IMO thats pretty damn good!

Surklyn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
I have a weird problem. My battery seemed to be doing fine. Took it off the charger at 8 and then about 45 minutes of talk time, a little tweeting, couple youtube videos, 45 minutes of ipod, and some texting and I was down to about 60% battery life with about 2+ hours of usage. I then plugged it into my macbook for a few minutes to sync some things and it went up to about 65%. I took it off sent a tweet and maybe a text or two and the next thing I know my battery reads 35%. This is the third time my battery has done a significant jump. The other time was when I was using the GPS and talking for a while and it jumped from 40% to 10% and the other day it jumped about 10% from 70 to 60. Should I be concerned or is this just the reader not working correctly. Yesterday I had 4hrs and 41min of usage and 17hrs and 18min of standby. What do you guys think?

GPS drains my battery "FAST" real fast. It's the only thing so far that does so significantly.. even playing Tiger Woods or NFSU does not drain it as quickly.

Do this: Charge your battery to full... then DRAIN it. Completely.. and Charge to full again. (this is "supposed" to calibrate the battery from what I've heard). I did it right out of the box... and my battery "lasts" longer... (whether or not it's just subliminal is a matter of choice., but I use my phone ALL the TIME. If I have a free minute.. I am on my phone checking stocks, or weather, or Macrumors... or sudoku, or other random crap I dl'd... I have an iPhone addiction. My battery works wonderful. )

derek320

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
Mine was at 2 days 10 hours with around 5.5 hours of usage before I hooked it up to the charger. It was at 22% when I plugged it in, I would say that is pretty good for battery life.

Its fully charged right now, I am going to use it regularly until I'm at around 5% battery to see how long I can keep it running. I'll let you guys know.

BTW...this is with an 8gb iPhone 3G w

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Here is an update today

Todays update.

Not sure where my yesterdays report was. It wasn't pretty.

Today, I made ONE change. I turned off the PUSH for mobileme. I really don't need the push, I don't use the email and only sync the calendar and it can be via FETCH or MANUAL.

So, off it went.

I did leave a PUSH email active, my yahoo account. I have two other accounts on the phone, GMAIL accounts, they are listed as FETCH.

Today, I started at 05:15

The phone was used for 15 minutes of calls.
Did about 100 emails
10 SMS
about 35 minutes of web browsing,
about 25 of that with WIFI
WIFI on for about three hours, but the phone might have slept

Current battery says 25%, (this is not 13.25 hours later)
Usage says 3h 42 minutes
Standby 13hours 15 minutes

Yesterday, I was DEAD at this point, phone literally conked out and shut down.

I think it will stay alive till late in the evening.

So, long story longer, I think the mobileme push really had an impact on daily performance and I am going to leave it off for now.

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I've been noticing a battery situation as well. I had to run my 2g hard to get it to below 10% by the end of the day. On a light day, such as today my 3GS is at 40% after 2 hours and 20 minutes of usage and 9 hours of standby.

Seems not right. The usage was a 20 minute call, and hour of ipod, a hour of NetNewsWire feed reading, and about 20 emails.

Wifi is always off
No Bluetooth
Brightness at about 40%
Fetch hourly
No Push

(It dropped to from 41 to 39% as I typed this post)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.