So Updated rMBP 13" Will Be Quad-Core?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loon3y, Jun 6, 2013.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

forgive me, but i went through a couple of threads, but i dont have the time to keep on researching, and ive googled to but i did not get a definite answer,

will the updated 13" rMBP be a quadcore?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There is truly no way to know until it's announced, hopefully on Monday.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Doubt it, too little thermal headroom for it.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No one can give a definite answer. See my thread "13" rMBP Haswell Quad-Core?" for more info.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There will be at least one Haswell quad core in the same thermal class as the current rMBP processors (37W). There was also an Ivy Bridge quad core in that thermal class, but Apple chose not to use it.

6. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

so basically no?

im just waiting for the quadcore to come out, i dont want to be the guy that replaces his MBP and than have the quadcore model come out in the next release.

i have a mid 09 model, and i can see it slowing down. the SSD prices are just ridiculous though,

i want 750, but id have to atleast get 512, 250 does not cut it with a windows partition

if it does upgrade to quadcore, u think it would be able to support 16 GB of ram?

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

i3, i5, i7 Haswell dual core for all 13" rMBP

i3, i5, i7 Haswell Quad Core for all 15" rMBP

I believe so… :apple:

9. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

doubt it, THEY CAN put on a Quad-Core for the 13" but they need to sell 15" models too.
    Marketing :rolleyes:

10. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Except that there are no i3 quads.

11. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I suspect we'll get dual cores, and I suspect they'll all be the parts with on die GPU memory. Hopefully the 13" gets a quad core BTO option though, that would be nice.

12. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I don't think they'll put quad-cores in the 13"... doesn't sound like Apple.

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The only CPUs with the on die GPU memory are 47w i7 quad core models.

14. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

There is absolutely no reason it should not have one.

47w or not. It can support one, those saying it can't have not looked at the competion lately. Sony SVZ, Razer 14 Etc...

Infact, if it only has a dual, Apple should just drop the "Pro" label all together.

Call it the MacBook Clear or something.

15. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

I wonder if the 13" rMBP will get a discrete graphics card. I heard a post that not even the Iris Pro 5200 graphics (if we even get that..) comes anywhere near close to the 650M, which sounds pretty depressing for the 13" rMBP (which is what I want)

16. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I have been an Apple fanatic for years. But, I'm afraid that we will see dual core machines. They didn't learn the first time with the rMBP, why would they do anything different.

Even if they are waiting for 20gbps Thunderbolt, a quad CPU will still be sorely missed.

So, I guess Apple is ok with slow sales of the 13" rMBP. Full voltage Quads will still be above 38W next revision.

Magically, they will figure it out when profits are larger.

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well technically Apple can talk to Intel and demand any sort of CPU configuration they'd like to have. Intel always asks its customers what they want before they figure out what specs to sell.
    Given that there is not even an option for a lower TDP Quad with GT3 (forget the DRAM) it means Apple has no interest in one. Either they are good with 47W or they just don't want to put a quad core into the 13".

I think Apple is okay with good sales on the 15" and if there were 13" Quads out it would most likely eat heavily into those sales. There are many people who don't need a gaming GPU would like a fast small 13".

18. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

we'll see the same thing happen again when 15" is using octo-core and 13" is using 'only' quad-core :p

i think its matter of TDP, heat and price :rolleyes:

19. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Agreed. All this is a function of size too.

I just hope this time around the 13" rMBP gets a BTO option for 16GB of RAM. Apparently there isn't enough room in the current rMBP for this amount of RAM. Hopefully there are higher density RAM modules available this year.

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Maybe not for a Mac…only for a PC I am guessing. :apple:

21. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No, Intel does not make any i3 quads. Period.

22. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Perhaps in some two years...

23. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It will happen someday, it's just a matter of when. I guess it will initially be offered as a BTO option or on the second, more expensive model (like the Mac mini currently). There's no way to know if this year is the year though.

24. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Ya I was hopeful, but checking out the possible Haswell configs leaves nothing but dual cores in contention. It's going to be the parts with embedded DRAM I know it for sure. A dual core one though of course. Still, should be a nice graphical boost from the current 13 rMBP, which is terrible.

Going forward, as Intel marches ever closer to sub 20nm transistors, things will get very interesting. There will be quad core part in this machine, the question is when. With excellent on-die graphics and a shared pool of cache between the CPU and GPU. Maybe even unified system/video memory. Only when it can be done with sufficient bandwidth at lower voltages though; Apple wouldn't switch from DDR3L to something garish like GDDR5 after all.
    Eventually though, the cache and RAM will be shared and all will be slightly faster once the software figures out how to utilize this setup.

This Haswell refresh will be a welcome upgrade though. Coupled with 10.9 and we're in for a fun time as mac users.

25. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I assume you meant 4month