SO, virtually scratch proof glass? Ummmmm, I'm not so sure...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megalobyte, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

If you're into high end watches, you'll know that the best material to use for the watch crystal is synthetic sapphire, while it's not scratch proof, it is highly scratch resistant. If you wear a watch long enough you can possibly get a few small scratches on the sapphire, but it's the best, most scratch resistant material currently in use, as far as I know, and if the iphone 4 did indeed have glass that is comparable in scratch resistance to sapphire, I'd be perfectly satisfied and very pleased with that, but read on to find out why I don't think this is the case.

Watch companies that wish to save a few bucks will opt for a less scratch resistant, but cheaper material like hardened mineral crystal, which trust me, can be scratched pretty easily, it's not much better than plain glass. Sapphire is definitely the way to go, but as mentioned above, even sapphire, will scratch.

Here is what I found curious about the demo video for the Iphone 4, when they're discussing this new, very high tech glass, they seem to be intentionally wording it to give the false impression that the glass is as hard as sapphire, and thus, is very scratch resistant, but, when you pay attention to the words, that's not what they say, though I do believe it's the impression they wish to give.

What they actually say is, the glass is comparable in strength to sapphire, and 30 times harder than plastic.

That's interesting, I have hangnails that are harder than plastic, being harder than plastic is not all that impressive, and, they invoke the word sapphire, because they know people often associate sapphire with the very scratrch resistant watch crystals, but, they don't say their new glass is as hard as sapphire, only as strong, and since strength isn't the property we want from sapphire, we want it's hardness, a 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness, the statement really does not mean this new glass is as scratch resistant as sapphire, the only thing we know is, as far as hardness and scratch resistance, is, it's much harder than plastic, which again means little.

I'm pretty certain they chose their wording very carefully here to give the impression the new glass has the hardness and scratch resistance of sapphire, without actually saying that. Clever, but a little deceptive in my opinion. Anybody else notice that?

2. Icarus73 macrumors regular

I have a Blackberry Curve and I'm pretty sure it's plastic covering the screen.

I'll take the iPhone 4 as is, regardless of whatever marketing ploys Apple wants to use.

3. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Doesn't sound like scratch resistance is one of it's intended properties.

4. nlr macrumors 6502

Will iphone 4 be more resistent to scratches/fingerprints than the 3GS? and how can I prevent it as I like mine NAKED.

5. Megalobyte thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose I should quickly point out that I have loved all 4 of my iphones, and am very anxious to get the I4, and, I'm sure whatever this glass is, it's as scratch resistant as anything found on a phone, but, still, it strikes me as a little sneaky to give an impression they know is false, by choosing their words very carefully, I just happened to pick up on the way they worded it, and found it to be a bit misleading, I'm still extremely happy with the new design and features, and am excited to get one asap.

6. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

As you can see from the quote above, they said "more scratch resistant than ever".

Best Buy actually put something out saying the iP4 was scratch-proof.

7. Megalobyte thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think they're still intentionally misleading us. I'm not doubting this new glass is harder than that used in prior iphones, and is thus more scratch resistant, but, people are getting the impression, and I think Apple wants people to get the impression, the glass is virtually scratch proof, like sapphire, when in fact, it's not, because they clearly said it's as strong as sapphire, not as hard, which is the critical point.

If the glass is as hard as sapphire, which would make it as close to scratch proof as glass can be, they would have said it was as hard as sapphire, not as strong, sapphire isn't really known for it's strength, it's hardness and thus scratch resistance is what it's known for, so, by bringing up the word sapphire, even in a meaningless context like strength, then talking immediately about hardness, but relative to plastic, not sapphire, they are giving people the impression the new glass is similar in hardness/scratch resistance to sapphire, a benchmark of scratch resistance that many people are aware of from the watch industry, when in fact, it's not, if it was, they would have I'm sure said, this new glass is as hard and scratch resistant as sapphire... Because Apple has for some time wanted people to be less worried about scratching their iphone screens and to prevent the iphone from getting a reputation for having an easily scratched screen. Yes, I think they also do want people to see the new glass is more impact resistant, but scratch resistance is still a key feature for us, and them.

But what they did say, that it's as strong as sapphire, and harder than plastic does not neccessarily mean the glass is extremely scratch resistant, or similar in hardness and scratch resistance to sapphire.

8. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

It's certainly an odd choice of glass since it's chemical and heat resistant and flexible - none of which really come into play for a phone screen. Oh well.

Apple has lots of money so when people get class action lawsuits against them for false advertising - they can afford it.

9. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I don't believe any of Apple's claims anymore. They should feed us less bull and more specs IMO.

We've already seen that the iPhone 4's glass can break quite easily. That being said, I'm not really worried about scratches. The screens on all of my iPhones have been OK so far. There IS a small scratch on my iPad. I have no clue how it got there. Probably when the gf put it in her purse.

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yes, the iPhone 4's glass can break easily. But that thing that broke wasn't even an iPhone 4. Spare parts put together by some 3rd party. Wow, what a revelation.

12. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Even then, it wasn't a real test. It had nothing inside and wasn't a complete iPhone 4. I'm not sure if a real one would make the results better or worse, but I don't think that test is fair until we watch a real, complete iPhone 4 tested. ;)

13. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

It's stronger but nothing is Scratch Proof, get over it.

14. army91c macrumors 6502a

What!! Apple used wording in describing their product that might be a bit suspect to you? NO company has ever done that, damn apple!

Never said it was scratch "proof". They never lied about their product. They simply stated facts about their product that are true, but taken one at a time they might not be "accurate" if taken apart like you did. Guess what? Every company trying to sell a product does the SAME THING. Glad you took the time to let us all know companies sometimes exaggerate their product by talking about certain items in said product, I would never of known that if YOU didn't tell me. :)

15. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

well if they are not telling the truth or their advertising is incorrect then they can be sued by customers for false advertising ;) get your lawyers ready ;)

16. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

They didn't claim any false statement people don't understand the difference of scratch resistant and scratchproof. Same for the oleophobic layer that is fingerprint resistant not fingerprint proof.

In the end is less likely to be scratch than your previous iPhone or any other plastic phone, but you may experience scratches if kept uncovered.

17. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm a little skeptical as well... I'm planning on rocking the iPhone 4 naked, and worse case scenario I'd get a black bumper to keep the front / back elevated...

18. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

19. obamtl macrumors regular

No phone is scratch-proof. I picked up on the wording the moment I heard it. But guess what... most people know nothing about sapphire to start with

The important thing is that they've improved on the scratch resistance, which is good. I also see evidence of confidence on their part. Their 'bumper' case speaks volumes in this regard. The fact that they didn't bother covering the back indicates that they are confident. What I am in fact most worried about is the potential of cracking the screen or back from drops. I dropped my iPhone 3GS and let's just say I wasn't thrilled to pay £139 to replace it.

20. JadedBen macrumors regular

Of course it's not scratch-proof, but it is still bullet-proof, right?

Right?!?

21. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

The common name for aluminosilicate glass is "clear aluminum". It was "invented" when Scottie traveled back in time and gave the "inventor" the chemical formula in exchange for a very large water reservoir.

So basically, yeah, nothing is going to break this ****!

22. HotFieryTech macrumors member

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yep, I'll be covering the phones as I always do with a clear protector to help resale.

I'm wearing a scratchproof high-tech ceramic Rado at the moment that's only just back from repair. The thing was covered in scratches form 2 years of use, had to get the whole strap replaced and the face done :cool:

I've no illusions about Apple's products being scratchproof in the slightest.

24. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

No such thing as scratch proof. Rock will scratch it, just like it did with the previous iPhones (one of the sales reps here abused the hell out of his - yes the glass definitely does scratch with enough neglect)

It's not something to keep bare in your pocket when scrambling up a mountain etc. One moment of squeezing past a rock, and the pocket material won't do much - scrrrrratch! I speak from experience with previous phones ;)

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I don't care how scratch-resistant or scratch-proof they say (or imply) it is -- I'm still putting screen film on my iPhone 4.

And since Apple is apparently going to refuse to sell film any more, I've already ordered new antiglare film from Power Support USA specifically for the iPhone 4. Since the film won't be out until the end of July, I will be using a piece of antiglare film for the iPhone 3G in the interim -- I don't care if it doesn't fit properly. Some protection is better than none. I don't want scratches on my screen or on the oleophobic coating (which would be just as bad -- a visible scratch is a visible scratch no matter what it's on).