So, Wait. Are they upgrading the new iMacs or not??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ogilvy, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Ogilvy macrumors newbie

I need a computer and I've been waiting to buy my first apple computer. I was going to buy an iMac.

Did I miss something or are they not finished announcing new products yet?

I hope their not finished because ibuypower had a crazy good memorial day sale that I missed because I waited for WWDC.

Can someone please confirm?

If this is the case I can only hope ibuypower has a crazy 4th of July sale.

I know a lot of people just say "Why don't you just buy the current one"
    Because I don;t want to pay a premium price for yesterday's technology.
    (Must have: Ivybridge at least 3770 or 3820, Ati 3970 or geforce 690, at least 8gb Ram)

Thanks

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

No iMac announced. There will be one released sometime. My guess is now late summer. I'm also waiting but will continue to hold out. 2011 tech for 2012 prices makes no sense to me. Maybe it will be a silent speed bump refresh only. But even if it was going to happen soon, I think it would at least get a mention.

3. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I highly doubt that Mountain Lion will ship without new iMacs.

----------

Just got in the store for a second. No new iMacs but Mac Pros have been updated.

[​IMG]

4. cypress822 macrumors regular

For several months there has been thousands upon thousands of threads about the new 2012 iMac....maybe in march...maybe in april...maybe in may...for sure in june...LOL!!
    Now there will be a repeat of the same with new months...maybe late june...maybe july....maybe august...maybe 2013?? LOL!!!
    No more.

5. fsu06 macrumors newbie

Why the crap can't they just put the new processor, usb 3.0, and GPU in it. Why update the macbook airs and pros but not the iMac???? I don't want to pay the Apple premium for hardware over 400 days old.

Ridiculous mac fanboy and I'm seriously considering just buying a PC tower now. Apple needs to get its **** together with the iMac.

6. macpants macrumors member

Yes, but they also list the Mac Mini as 'NEW' but that hasn't changed either. Woe is me....

7. Razeus macrumors 601

It's pretty clear Apple is trying to dump the desktop versions of their Macs. Clearer than ever.

8. macpants macrumors member

What about the fact here's a new MacPro then ??

9. Razeus macrumors 601

You call that new?

10. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

I don't think they are tying to dump them at all. I think they may do a silent update on the imac. Maybe they didn't do an update at this years wwdc because they have something special to announce later on?, or to have its own keynote.

I suppose the imac in its self its a great product as in design that may be why they haven't said anything.

I think it will be a silent update :apple:

11. Rebel Hedgehog macrumors member

Then thing is the Macpro has been updated but it doesn't have thunderbolt or usb3 so why do people think the new iMac will?

It's getting silly now.... I say it's probably time to buy (no point waiting any longer) if the MacPro hasn't even had the rumoured update IMO

12. applefiend95 macrumors regular

WOWWWWWWW no new iMacs?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? that is soo sad, i spent sooo much time waiting......i know many people will feel the same today.:mad:

13. Razeus macrumors 601

It will be a silent update when Mountain Lion ships. iMacs no longer get their own keynotes in this iOS world.

14. chadly25 macrumors newbie

Apple store is down, but only on the iMac section....

15. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

But if it's going to be a silent refresh, then why not now, like the Mac Pro?

16. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

The uk one is working fine.

17. lucasfunkt macrumors 6502

Which will be, when?

18. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

19. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

No date for that yet, but there is now a month, at least, rather than "late summer".

https://www.apple.com/

20. Razeus macrumors 601

That's the million dollar question. It seems they won't be redesigning it and it will just be a spec bump to the Ivy Bridge - IF they upgrade the darn thing.

21. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

My guess is the switch to Nvidia this round is holding it up, and that they'll use the 680m released sometime in July if I recall...

22. Razeus macrumors 601

The Mac Pro is NOT an upgrade. Perhaps if they made it with USB 3 and Thunderbolt in there as a sign of good faith to the creative pros out there, sure, but as its stands, it's a damn joke.

My guess is that laptops sell like hot cakes for Apple, especially for college kids. Notice their back to school program started today as well.

23. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

About 3 months ago I built a PC. It has a faster processor, more RAM, more hard drive space including SSD, a better optical drive, double the video memory than is even available as an upgrade on any of the Mac Pros and cost just under half as much as the cheaper of the two options.

The Mac Pros now available for purchase are far from new, they're just the most recent option. Seems every build of that line is further and further away from being viable as a serious computer.

24. Khadgar macrumors member

The Mac Pro actually didn't even get an update. Intel stopped making the CPUs in them so they went to the slowest ones Intel still produces, and Apple seems to have been able to convince AMD to continue to produce the already discontinued video cards for the computer. Certainly looks like the Mac Pro's pretty much dead.

I'm currently a Mac Pro user (Mac Pro 1,1) that I use for real work, meaning I'm looking at a screen I don't have to squint at to see. I've been looking at an iMac to upgrade to, but it looks like I'm kind of SOL at the moment. I don't need a laptop computer that I'm just going to have sitting on my desk as a heating pad hooked to 2 external displays (if it can even do that without exploding). For what I'd do with portable computing? I have my iPhone and iPad for that.

My Mac Pro's still fast as hell. It can't run Mountain Lion, but it's still a great computer. Hope the iMac's update could be like the previous Mac Mini update where it was updated after WWDC. I wouldn't imagine Apple's releasing Mountain Lion without an iMac update, but who the hell knows anymore?