So wait for Verizon or go for the new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacAddiction, Jun 2, 2010.

?

What's your vote? Upgrade to new iPhone, wait, leave AT&T?

1. Upgrade to new iPhone on AT&T ASAP

53 vote(s)
    63.9%
  2. Wait for Verizon (or other carrier) to begin iPhone service

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Give up on AT&T altogether, iPhone or not

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Still not sure

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. MacAddiction macrumors member

My AT&T plan expires in November, are others waiting for Verizon (or another carrier) to begin iPhone service? Had a discussion with a friend who said that currently Verizon data users represent a fraction of total data usage compared to AT&T. Will Verizon's system be able to handle all the iPhone data/call traffic? Will Verizon have service issues when/if they serve the iPhone?

The new AT&T data plans have also confused my outlook a bit. Not sure if I'm going to upgrade which locks us into another 2 year term.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon is not going to have the iPhone anytime soon.... so, you might as well keep waiting and waiting and waiting.......

3. Baadshah macrumors 6502

I dont care if its att or verizon, i am gonna get the iphone no matter what:):apple:

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

The question is silly -- the answer depends only on how quickly you want the iPhone. If you can live without it then wait. If in fact the iPhone gets to Verizon eventually, it will definitely impact their network, but I would bet money on the fact that Verizon will be able to handle it better than AT&T did.

5. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I will put on my Mystic Meg hat and say that Verison will get in the act in November so that everyone can be furious at Xmas.

That being said, being totally psychic, clairvoyant, and a soothsayer extraordinaire*, I would not forgo an iPhone just because Verison will (maybe) come into the Apple fold in November. That would mean that I would be roped into a 2 yr contract when the phone was out for 5-6 months and a new iPhone would appear next June and I would have to go through one more iteration of iPhone goodness which I could not have without intense stealth and superhuman cunning.

So, I am going to go with iPhone around the time when it comes out and if Verison has them later on, I will cross that bridge when I get there.

*That is a lie, I am very bad at foretelling the future.

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Or keep your 3GS until your contract expires...

7. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

If your contract doesn't expire until November, wait until then and see what happens.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Delete this thread. Recreate it after the WWDC keynote on Monday.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I would guess even if there is a ViP (see what I did there? :p), they won't announce it @ WWDC. They won't want to hamper the June launch on AT&T. Any other carrier that is not luanching in June will be announced later.

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Good point, but even if that's true, making this poll/thread after Monday's keynote makes more sense than making it now.

11. cjthebest macrumors member

lol

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

other way around. att had(s) a stronger network.

13. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If you are happy with AT&T, I would keep the iPhone that you have now until your contract expires, and if Verizon does get the iPhone around that time, you can see if it will be worth while switching over to them or not.

14. icyfire macrumors 6502

i'm a verizon user who is going to switch to the iphone when the 4G comes out next week. Luckily, I live in NJ where AT&T coverage is very good so it's not a big deal for me unlike other people around the country.

15. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Verizon is too busy with their Droid phones to bother with iPhone and why should they when all of them are selling very well? I seriously doubt you will ever see a CDMA iPhone.

16. auero macrumors 65816

Pick your provider first, not your phone. You'll never be happy if you have a phone you can't use.

17. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

From the recent remarks from both Apple and Verizon, I just don't see a Verizon iPhone until the LTE network on Verizon is built out to a usable network on it's own.

Also, Verizon is really loving the Android.

18. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

New question; will Verizon network be able to handle phone calls and web browsing at the same time like AT&T does? I have heard that you cannot currently do this with Verizon...

19. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

After the Monday announcement I'm going to go over to a Verizon store and see what the deal is with my upgrade. If there is no Verizon iPhone, I'll probably go Android. May just get the Incredible, or I'll wait for one of the new Android phones coming out sometime this month.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, wait to see what happens.

21. elephunkman macrumors 65816

What if Steve hints at a Verizon release but doesn't give any details on when?

22. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Kind of funny, but over on the AT&T support forums, those members are always saying that AT&T is too busy with selling the iPhone, to get any good Android devices, lol……

23. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Truth is AT&T has held off on getting Android phones so as not to piss off Jobs and Apple with their hate towards Google and HTC. Now that the exclusive contract is coming closer to the end, you are starting to see them slowly adding Android phones.

24. bthockey macrumors newbie

I'm with you. :apple:

25. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

steve doesnt ever hint anything like that. even if it a hint that there isnt a vz iphone. he just wouldnt give it