So was the Verizon iPhone a fail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Aug 18, 2011.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Remember people saying it would cripple the network, hurt Android sales, etc.

None of that really happened? :confused:

although I proudly own a Verizon iPhone now :D

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Maybe it will take some time (contract cycles) for the benefit to sink it.

Surely if the iPhone had been on Verizon for the last 3 years Android would not have become such a staple of its user base.

A lot of people were/are still under contract with other pre-VZiphone smartphones.

3. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I'm an AT&T user waiting for my contract to run out so I can switch to Verizon. I'm sure there are others like me.

4. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i would say it is still a bit early to tell how much the verizon iphone had an impact on android, at&t, etc. the iphone 5 sales for both companies will be on a level playing field right from the first day of its release so it will be a much better judge of the impact it truly has or lack there of, at least iphone-wise

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Who said that?

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

A lot of people.

7. echo2011 macrumors regular

This family put a small nick in the Verizon Android sales, myself, my daughter and son all chose iphones, and my fiancée wanted the Motorola Droid 2, after a month or so of battery pulls, laggy behavior... etc, I believe she wishes she would of chose an iphone to.

8. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Most of the time I see an iPhone now it says Verizon at the top. They suprised me and even though they were late with the iPhone 4 they did pretty well imo.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No, I don't think so. I think the VZW iPhone was pretty successful.

Now, it didn't completely kill Android sales, but I'm sure Google saw a decline in number of activations.

10. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I've seen plenty of articles outlining how the Verizon iPhone has impacted Android sales.

11. SooneratND macrumors regular

I think it remains to be seen. Buyers aren't stupid. Verizon customers know as well as anyone that the iPhone 5 was coming down the pike in just a few months. Why buy a 4 now, when you can buy a 5 soon? There have been surveys showing a lot of VZW customers holding off on new phones until the 5 comes out. We'll see what the real demand level is on VZW once their customers get in on a full product cycle.

12. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

13. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

14. luked14 macrumors 6502

I agree. I think the iP5 will be record breaking for all carriers. I know many people on Verizon who held off for the iP5 and other who will upgrade their iP4 when the iP5 is released. Android sales may really start to suffer at that point.

15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

verizon are strict with upgrade dates. my buddy has the first droid and cant upgrade till the middle of 2012. itll take some time before people can switch over.

16. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

You can upgrade 4 months early, or at month 20 of a two year contract. I got the droid 1 in Jan 09 and I am eligible for an upgrade on 8/28. Your buddy must have gotten his phone less than a year ago.

17. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

a verizon worker told me the other day that the main line on a family plan or single plan is eligible for an upgrade at 12 months into a contract but if you wait till 20 months in, then you get an addition "loyalty discount". however i believe they discontinues this deal a few months ago, it was the "new every two" deal. those who had an upgrade before they changed it can still use it, but it will be the last time. i bought a droid x in august of 2010, then paid retail price for an iphone 4 in february when they were released. not i can upgrade at the discount price or wait till april to get an extra $50 off

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

In what way(s)? I wouldn't consider it as such.

19. Vegastouch, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

True...but then in mid to late October you have the Galaxy S2 coming out and the next version of the Nexus which will be called Nexus Prime and will have the newest OS Ice Cream Sandwich in it and a 1.5 GHz dual core processor and a Super AMOLED HD screen.