So what about the new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mtatfluler, Apr 13, 2010.

1. mtatfluler macrumors member

Due to the updated MacBook Pros, is it unlikely that Apple update it's Mac Pro line at NAB 2010 now?

If so, when do you think the next possible refresh date could be?

Thanks,

Matt

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Correct, as the NAB rumor is a fake. Take a look here (post with links to sources that confirm it's fake).

3. mtatfluler thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm disappointing! Do you have any guesses as to when we might see an update?

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Why do you really care? What is with all these newbies asking about updates the same day an update occurs? :rolleyes:

Buy one or don't.

5. mtatfluler thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant, just because I didn't sign up to this particular website before you, thus have the 'newbie' status, you automatically assume I don't know what I am talking about.

Perhaps I care because it is obvious that it will be updated soon. I'm not going to buy old technology, and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to when they could be released.

Why waste you time posting ridiculous and inappropriate comments?

6. shabbasuraj macrumors regular

No MacSlows till the end of summer.

and then after that... no more................................ forever.

7. grue macrumors 65816

Hey look, more people making **** up! I love this site.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I herd that Applez is selling teh final cutz

and that u liek mudkipz

9. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Frankly, I think they just don't give a **** about us pro users. That's why they updated the macbook pro when the macpro is over a year out of date. But, as the dude said above... if you want an overpriced outdated piece of hardware, buy it!
    :rolleyes:

10. mtatfluler thread starter macrumors member

lol I'm starting to think I'll have no other choice but to!

However, if what Jobs said about Final Cut Pro is true - "It is alive and well", then surely he still does have the professionals in mind and will need to update soon!

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The MacBook pro was in more dire need of an update. Sure, the 2009 Mac Pro is looking like a really bad deal, but the previous C2D MBPs were virtual rip-offs. If I were in the same position, I would have made the same move.

12. mtatfluler thread starter macrumors member

True, I think it is fair to say they were/are both in need of an update. But if the MPs aren't going to be updated at NAB, I just don't know when they will be!

13. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Would anyone here say the current Mac Pro's are not worth buying? Just wondering. Even if a refresh took place tomorrow, I'd still want to wait for a b-rev to work out the bugs. You could wait forever, it seems. At least the current machines are stable, unless I'm missing something.

So.....Maybe one of the current models could be a wise purchase, especially if your livelihood depends on it.

:confused:

14. mtatfluler thread starter macrumors member

The current MP's are absolutely worth buying and are very good machines. However, (this is probably said a lot) I just know how annoyed and disappointed I'll be If I did buy a current model, and it was updated soon after.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's been some information that they'll be out sometime between now and June 2010. Nice that they nailed it down. :rolleyes: :D :p

At this point though, figure June means last day of June, so the wait wouldn't be but 2.5 months. So it would be a good idea to wait it out IMO, to see what happens.

Where are you getting this?
    Granted, I do think it's days are numbered (as it currently exists), but there's parts that can be used (Xeon) through 2013 going by Intel's published road maps.

Forget a grain, take what he says with a large handful of salt. He won't tell us if they're going to kill it, as it would affect sales of the last version made.

That said, we don't know for sure. It's possible that the MP's could disappear, but the software remain in development to be run on iMacs. Or on a really rare note (if the iMac and Mini see their demise as well), license OS X for other machines which would allow the OS X versions of professional software to continue even without an actual Mac in desktop form.

It would depend on the specifics, such as actual need + budget + time frame you need a system.

Earning a living typically translates to immediate need, so a system now can earn it's keep. But you can choose between an '08 (if available) and an '09 model. In some cases with current software (can't take advantage of Nehalem's architecture differences from the Harpertowns used in the '08's), the '08 would give you better bang for your buck (best performance for the lowest cost).

16. rajbonham macrumors 6502

This really stinks. If Apple doesn't release the new Mac Pros within the next few days, I might have to (*gasp*) cave and actually purchase a current model. :(

I've said it today already and I'll say it again; if Apple chooses to not update their "professional" Mac workstation during NAB, they are simply foolish. I'm shocked they chose to update the MBP smack in the middle of NAB, especially when 90% of the people using MBP are merely watching YouTube videos and writing term papers... :rolleyes:

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Why?

Users may only be doing the equivalent of picking their nose with it, but they sell better than the MP's do IIRC the recent article on profit breakdowns. Which generates a larger slice of the net profits per quarter.

18. shabbasuraj macrumors regular

Trust me, you will cave then.

There WILL BE NO MacSlows introduced anytime soon.

Again, none in the near future. Apple has a glut of current machines they can't get rid of. (go check the refurb stores of various country sites). At a few times in the recent past, there were nearly a dozen different MacSlow configs available in the refurb stores.

ya it sux .

19. shabbasuraj macrumors regular

Yes parts will be available for some time,

... but it won't matter to most , once they have bought the eventual replacement to the current MacSlows.

20. rajbonham macrumors 6502

I totally understand that, and the MBP does sell better, but I'm just talking about the timing. Because of NAB, this is how I honestly see things:

Mac Pro

April NAB Release: WAY more sales.
    May/June Release: Average to less sales.

MacBook Pro

April NAB Release: Lot's of sales.
    May/June Release: Lot's of sales.

It just seems that no matter when you release the portable Mac computers, they are still going to sell. Since the Mac Pro has a much more narrow, specific market, it would seem timing is everything to boost sales.

Then again, I'm sure the Apple marketing team knows a hell of a lot more than I do about these things. :)

21. rajbonham macrumors 6502

You have been posting a lot of things like this recently. I think we're all wondering how you are obtaining this information. Unfortunately, as it stands now, all your information appears to be quite "shady".

22. mtatfluler thread starter macrumors member

Very true! I too am struggling to see another relevant/good time for the updated MP's to be released! :confused:

23. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Yep, honestly the only reason I could see Apple not updating the Mac Pro right now, is if there are shortages of any of the part(s) used in the Mac Pro. If that is the case, I just wish something would come out saying, "Hey, these new Mac Pros probably won't be out until _____ because of _____".

Of course, we know that will never happen. :p

24. mtatfluler thread starter macrumors member

Wishful thinking ay! ;)

So are Apple actually attending NAB? If so, what time are they down to do whatever they plan to do?