So what are the new speakers like?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Piggie, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I've been looking forward to hearing what people here think of the new iPhone7 Speakers.

Finally we have Two speakers, which Apple told us on stage were twice as LOUD as those on the iPhone6 AND had a wider dynamic range, which is great.

I love great speakers on anything and Mobile phones, and tablets also have, for the most part been very poor for many years.

So, please, post your unbiased views on these new speakers.

Have you played perhaps a YouTube Video on your iPhone 6, and your 7 and can tell the new phone is indeed twice as loud, AND better quality along with the volume?

Also, and this is something I have worried about:
    As the bottom speaker IS the speaker, but the top speaker is the earphone, which I guess is a totally different piece of hardware in itself, and it's going thru a different shaped slot, AND pointing at you as oppose to out sideways....
    If both ends of the phone would sound the same, or one end sounds better/different than the other.

Please share your thoughts if you are lucky enough to have your new phone.
    I'm sure many here are keen to find out.

2. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

It's not going to replace any standalone Bluetooth speaker, but the loudness and quality is definitely way better than before.

3. AaronFisher macrumors newbie

AaronFisher

Not mind blowing quality wise (as expected for a device of it's size) but I definitely think it's a lot clearer than before, comparing something simple like Siri side-by-side on my 7 Plus VS my 6 they are worlds apart.

4. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Definitely an improvement over previous models. However crank it too loud and it sounds distorted. Of course anything will, but I'm talking volumes just barely past half. Not to mention, if you're holding it, it's like you can feel extra tiny mini subwoofers and tweeters shaking the innards of your device :eek:

I still throughly enjoy it though.

5. Eduardboon macrumors regular

It's really quite a bit louder; but on my phone the speakerpiece is lower in volume, which can be annoying because you think all the sound is coming from one side of the phone.

6. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

7. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Do both speakers work when you are on a call using speakerphone, or is it just one?

8. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Does the sound, say from a movie or music sound balanced, or is it louder from the left or right given how different the speakers are on either side?

9. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

haven't tried it on a movie but I will say on my ipp that it works sometimes and doesn't others. I think it is based on the media format of the movies and if they were coded for not being mobile since most have speakers only on one side. I could be wrong with this.

With music though, the speakers are nice they are louder and you can finally hear music if you move in a direction away from where the speaker is pointing like before. No more cupping your hand by the speaker in a loud area to hear that one line in a movie or whatever. So is it going to set the spot poppin?! no.... will your shower be a little more enjoyable (music related) if that is what you use for shower time music? Yes.

10. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Both speakers.. They are really loud..And pretty enjoyable..Its wayyyy better..

For the first time in years, I jumped when my iPhone alarm went off this morning.. Its wayyy louder than before..

11. Eduardboon macrumors regular

Well; there's around a 1DB difference and a quality difference between the speakers; I was under the impression I was only hearing the bottom speakers until I put my finger on that one and heard the earpiece speaker. I haven't tried really loud volumes though, but I guess this has to do with how you hold the phone while watching youtube; I always lower the sound by accidentally putting a finger on the speaker; if I do that now, it's perfect.

12. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

Sound better, im glad the crackling (noticeable with the text sending sound) from the 6s is gone.

13. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Watched a movie in BB. Surprised I could here it with all the noise. Sounded good, balanced with a stereo effect.

14. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

They're not great obviously, but much clearer and more balanced for me. I do a lot of Netflix like most, and it was quite loud i found myself turning it down when in the past I'd have to can it up, so thats nice. Definite improvement for sure.

15. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

The sound is definitely and noticeably better and louder.

16. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Thank you to all those who answered my speaker question.
    I'm so glad to hear that finally the iPhone has got some decent sounding speakers :)

17. piecookie macrumors member

Honestly I think they are amazing.

Try fire up Infinity Blade III and watch the intro video, sound is super immersive and I was completely blown away by how good it was!

18. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Has anybody moved from a Nexus 6P to the 7 plus? If so how do the speakers compare?

19. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Speakers sound really good. So much better then my 6S plus

20. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You have been tricked...

iPhone 7 only has ONE speaker.

https://www.google.com/amp/appleins...d-internal-design-faux-speaker-port-more/amp/
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    It's a fake, Apple Style
    My Nexus 6P speakers are wonderful.
    They're an illusion.

21. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

DADDYDC650

Sounds clearer and fuller but I'm not so sure about louder.

22. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You're imagining things.. :D

A single speaker is just like iPhones of the past.

23. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

It has two speakers. Come on Apple wouldn't blatantly lie like that...I think Lol. The second speaker is on top where you put your ears.

24. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

It actually has two. You can cover one and hear the other and vice versa.

25. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The top one is for phone calls only.

Only one of the two speaker ports on the bottom has a speaker behind it.

Apple is the master of trickery... :D
    Your denial is showing.
    More Proof

iPhone 7 only has One Speaker

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...6/apple-iphone-7-headphone-jack-speaker-grill