So what are the new speakers like?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Piggie, Sep 17, 2016.

1. briand05 macrumors 6502

The speakers are the most noticeable improvement imo. The difference is pretty huge. They sound pretty good for being in a phone. The old speaker was awful.

2. Blaze4G macrumors 65816

The top one is not for phone calls only. I suggest you do a bit of research.

3. StonewallBrown macrumors regular

StonewallBrown

It's the laziest of trolls, who don't even pretend they aren't a troll...

4. Bhs1975, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

I know the note 5 speakers are terrible and my 6s plus has decent sound quality so I should be happy with the 7 plus.

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Try holding a Jam Box in your hand sometime. Lol
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    SPEAKER-GATE!!!!!

6. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Before it continues - YES, the iPhone 7 does have dual speakers. One is located at the bottom of the phone as in years past, and now the earpiece speaker also serves as a second speaker for stereo audio. It is in Apple's PR information.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/

[​IMG]

7. McPhallus macrumors regular

I'm listening to TuneIn right now, and they sound pretty good. One is firing from the front, the other from the side, but they're still pretty good for phone speakers. I imagine the market for really low end Bluetooth speakers will soon evaporate.

8. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

[QUOTE="McPhallus, post: 23494550, member: 547297]One is firing from the front, the other from the side, but they're still pretty good for phone speakers.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity - if you are watching a video, does it sound off? I mean I'm sure it's better than before, but do the levels sound off since on is aimed at you and the other is aimed to side.

9. canyonblue737 macrumors 65816

it's louder and sounds better but i don't know, i was expecting better for some reason. i knew it wasn't going to be like a standalone bluetooth speaker but somehow i expected something a bit less tinny. all in all its a nice upgrade but no way i am giving up my small little bose bluetooth speaker etc.

10. McPhallus macrumors regular

I just tried flipping it back and forth, and I don't really notice any difference. Some with super-sensitive hearing might, though. They might have done some engineering trickery to compensate for the different axes.

Out of curiosity - if you are watching a video, does it sound off? I mean I'm sure it's better than before, but do the levels sound off since on is aimed at you and the other is aimed to side.[/QUOTE]

11. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Oh really an illusion? So the sound coming from the speaker from the top is just my imagination.

12. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

They sound great and are decently louder. They make my 7 plus vibrate quite a bit though on the loudest setting. Not a big deal.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I can definitely discern individual instruments better on my 7 Plus than I can on my 6s Plus. Quite a volume boost, too.
    Great. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow to this in stereo and grab my heart pills..

Oh, my God. Did you really post this? Best laugh I've had all day. Thanks!
    That's why the earpiece speaker is wider this year. Macsix hasn't done his homework. The 7 also has three audio amps, two of which are for the speakers. It's all there in the teardowns. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some folks to grasp.

14. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Besides the obvious loudness gain, the tone is more full with the dual speakers.

The earpiece speaker is definitely too loud at full volume to put on my ear.

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Just run this video on your phones. Then watch Macsix skulk away in abject embarrassment.

16. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

The dual speakers are low-key one of the best features of the iPhone 7, that pretty much nobody is talking about. They're much louder and sound pretty clear/rich too.

17. HighTechToid, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

HighTechToid macrumors member

HighTechToid

This is an answer that largely varies from user to user (we all have different audio ears and preferences) and by the content you're listening to.

With that said, is the audio 2x louder as apple claims. To the human ear absolutely not. I used an iPhone 7 4.7 today with a video playing from a website as well as asphalt 8. Audio was clearer - likely as a result of the front facing earpiece when compared to the my 6s Plus but it was almost virtually the same volume level for both content played.

I don't know if the 7 Plus will be any different, but unlikely.

However it's possible that specific type of content to you may benefit more so than mine. For me it was a big let down as there it was only clearer but not really louder.

If you go through a lot of critic reviews you'll see mostly mixed responses. I question anyone who truly says it's significantly louder because it just isn't. Again this may only apply to the 7 and not the Plus. I won't have a plus to compare to for a few days.

18. HighTechToid macrumors member

HighTechToid

From my brief test in a quiet room the 6P is louder for sure. Clarity was close, but perhaps I'd give the nod to the 7 there.

19. tperry macrumors regular

tperry

I have definite hearing issues (many years of shooting guns without hearing protection). With the iPhone 6 I had, if watching a youtube video I literally had to hold the phone up to my ear normally to hear. I no longer have to do that with the 7 I got. So as far as "loud" it's much better. Of course my hearing issues lends towards me not being able to speak as much about the fidelity of it. ;)
    I really wish that they had of done the speakers like the HTC M series and put front firing speakers on it. My son has the M9 and have never had an issue hearing music/video on his phone.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The new speakers impressed me most. Much louder and clearer. Not a scientific test. Just listing to some music and cranking the volume up. I was surprised to be honest.

21. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

I tend to think you are benefitting from the earpiece speaker actually directing sound directly to your ears versus just the bottom speaker directing the sound outward away from your ears.

My hearing is Metallica, NIN, and .223 damaged also.

22. tperry macrumors regular

tperry

Most likely it is... that's why I liked the HTC speaker setup.
    And mine is from doing (for several years) around 3000 .45ACP rounds a month. Used to be a cop and believed in keeping my skill set up with the important tools.
    Weird thing is, the shooting I was involved in, I never really heard the rounds go off - in fact I could hear the brass hitting the ground and landing in the truck bed beside me, but the discharge was filtered out.

23. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Ya! The HTC was awesome for music.

I use electronic headsets now. Don't wanna risk losing more hearing.

24. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

Dead easy to test.

You can download a free app that's a DB meter for a Mobile Phone.
    (or cheap enough to buy one)

Just set it on a stand, let's say 12" above an iPhone 6 and iPhone 7
    Play something, either music or test tones, and the signal meter will tell you how loud.

Be easy to show if one is 2x the volume of the other