So, what are you going to do about backlight bleeding?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mjmar, Mar 29, 2011.

?

What are you going to do?

1. Take it to the Apple Store as soon as possible

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Call Apple Support for a replacement

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Wait a month or two for the new batch

47 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. Live with it

47 vote(s)
    33.8%
  5. I don't have backlight bleeding

29 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Now that time has passed, I'm just wondering what everyone is going to do about backlight bleeding.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

While I have some minor backlight bleeding on my iPad2, the only time I can see it is if I have the lighting turned up fairly high and on a blank black screen. So I could care less. It just doesn't effect my use.

3. daneoni, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It's making me seriously consider sitting out the iPad 2 altogether. I have the light bleed and a stuck pixel and I can't do an exchange because almost all currently shipping units have the issue. Also it feels like an iPad 1.5 than an iPad 2. Might just wait for iPad 3.

4. aperry macrumors 6502a

I had mine swapped out at the Genius Bar, which was very easy and painless even despite the fact that he guy seemed completely surprised by it. Luckily the new one is much better (though not perfect). I can definitely live with this one.

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

an iPad 1.5?

they pretty much changed everything but the display resolution.
    thinner, lighter, better CPU, more RAM, better GPU, Facetime cameras.

6. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Mine's not bad. I have yet to notice it during normal use, only in the dark room/dark screen test.

So I may just live with it, though if I hear that there is a new batch that has the problem totally fixed in a couple months or whenever I may exchange it just for peace of mind.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I said it 'feels' like. Also the most important component in a device like this IS the screen and that remained largely the same...if not worse (in terms of assembly). Despite increased RAM Safari still reloads quite often and there's a lot of checkered patterns when scrolling. Also the Facetime cameras are not exactly stellar.

That said it is an upgraded device, no arguments here but they aren't exactly major upgrades either.

8. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Swapping mine for a new one on Saturday, figured that as some people aren't seeing any bleed issues then I may as well see if a replacement doesn't have them either. And if it does, then I'll just wait a month or so and then swap it for a decent one. :)

9. DiScO197 macrumors regular

I'm waiting for a replacement. Mine is particularly bad, everywhere around the edges of the screen. The store has no problem swapping it out, it's all set up but stock is the issue. Let's hope the next lot are sorted. I've just taken out Apple care also so hopefully this will make things easier down the line if it's not right again. I had tons of grief with my first ipad and I've only just got that sorted. I thought they'd have ironed all these problems out by now :(

10. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

so the 3GS must have felt like iPhone 1.728 for you ;)

11. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Make 10 to 12 more threads about it and maybe include polls. :cool: Only after I'm finished telling people what I had for lunch and where I plan on spending my day in line. :)

12. bpear96 macrumors member

wait

im going to wait a while till i know ill probably get a good one (if that ever happens) I have 1 year to exchange it right? do they give you a new or refurbished one ?

13. iLucas macrumors 6502

I personally have not noticed any backlight bleeding at all with my white iPad 2. I have turned the brightness up several times in dark rooms and I don't notice anything.

14. OSMac macrumors 65816

I'm going to load up a black screen ,
    turn the brightness to max and let it annoy me,... :rolleyes:

15. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I think mine is pretty bad being that its nearly 360 degrees around the screen, but it doesnt show up like some of the others I have read about. If I turn the brightness all the wayup, I see it, but even with it all the way up, it doesnt effect any dark viewing such as dark movies, picture, etc. The bleeding is just not bright enough.

16. Funnone macrumors regular

:rolleyes: Ditto......

17. 2 Owls macrumors regular

With a black page on full brightness I can see a couple of tiny areas that show, on normal viewing brightness I can't see it at all. :rolleyes:

Don't believe the hype.

18. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I'll be sitting in a darkened cupboard staring intently at a black screen with the brightness up full, raging at an unjust god.

19. Meljackson macrumors newbie

The only time mine bothers me is when I read on black background at night. I'm just going to live with it.

20. Cheetablaze macrumors member

Bought mine at target so I'm gonna hold off returning it for about 60 days. Either swap it off for a better one or upgrade to a larger capacity.

21. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I have been to my local store, they tried to grab me a replacement, but it was just sold that minute.

I am waiting for a call to advise of new stock.

They said they will sit one aside for me and call me in the morning to organize for me to come and swap it over.

I will open it in store and check, if it is worse than mine or not perfect, I will be telling them I will wait for a new batch and get them to mark on my name that I will be coming back for a new one in box.

22. mrdave543 macrumors member

Any chance they would switch my white att 3g version for a black att 3g version if they have it in stock?

Cant hurt to ask right? Or will they never swap colors/different models?

23. johnc22 macrumors 6502

+1

And I have no dead pixels so I'm in not hurry to do anything about it.

24. Gomff macrumors 6502a

No bleed, no dead pixels. Must be lucky I guess.

25. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

My two 16GB wifi have bleed, but no more than the first gen given same light levels. Where I ran the original at 50% setting, the new one I run at a mere 25%. No issues there. Bad pixels I would return though, fortunately never had one.