Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ragashingo

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
Sorry to hijack the thread, but unfortunately those things probably won't work all that well on the new Touch. Most regular barcodes needs to be read by a camera with some macro ability - i.e. one that does autofocus - and the Touch's camera cannot do that, and augmented reality programs usually do their best job with GPS and compass, and neither of them is built into the touch. :(

I red barcodes off the 5 Star notebooks I always buy and off the back of a few Xbox games so far with no problems. Maybe a better camera would help for really small barcodes or something, but I don't have any around here that it didn't easily read.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I'm getting mine tomorrow! Woot! waited for this thing for over a year. which one guys? 8GB or 32GB? I have the funds for either,I do have 6GB of music plus 30GB of video's.But I only want like 5 on there though.

Crigger540

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
The Old Dominion
Sorry to hijack the thread, but unfortunately those things probably won't work all that well on the new Touch. Most regular barcodes needs to be read by a camera with some macro ability - i.e. one that does autofocus - and the Touch's camera cannot do that, and augmented reality programs usually do their best job with GPS and compass, and neither of them is built into the touch. :(

once again someone is complaining about something they have not even tested. I have been scanning bar codes all around the house - it works great.

tucker61

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2008
once again someone is complaining about something they have not even tested. I have been scanning bar codes all around the house - it works great.

Great news. Thanks for trying for us. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Picked up a 32gb model earlier today. It's a nice little gadget.

It reminds me of a iPad, only smaller. (sorry, couldn't resist.)

I was impressed by how snappy OS 4.1 is on the device. It seems as fast as my iPad -- I'm wondering if it's running at the same clock speed, or if it's just slightly better optimization with the iOS 4.x software.

The screen is nice, viewing angle is narrow, but not a bit deal given the size of the device. (it's built for one person at a time really...)

The internal speaker was much better than I expected. The sound quality through the headphone jack was pretty good.

The still camera is meh, a bit better than the iPhone 2g. Video camera was great in sunlight, a bit grainy in soft indoor lighting. Facetime is amazing. You can tap on the phone number of an iPhone4 person, and start chatting right away. They can reach you via any of several email addresses you can enter when you setup Facetime.

As a developer I'm happy to see the devices converging around the same general screen resolution. It isn't a lot of work to trim a few pixels off a design to have something usable on iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch 4g now.

I know it's a little early in the sales cycle... But after a day with the new touch, I'm going to declare it another "win" for Apple.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

Glad to be corrected. :) I have tried a couple of non-AF Android phones and they didn't work too well with barcode readers so I was worried about that. I'll be sure to put this to test once my shipment gets moving....:(

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
How does the touch 4 speaker sound (loudness, clarity, etc) when compared to touch 3, iphone 4?

I played the same song on my old iPod Touch 2G and my new 4G, both with the volume maxed out. The sound was much better out of the 4G it was louder, clearer, and had more sound definition. Now, that is not to say that it's a great speaker that you can use in place of a real set of speakers, but compared to the 2G Touch, it is a significant improvement.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
How does everyone feel about the external speaker placement of the new iPod Touch when playing a game in landscape mode? I usually hold my device so that the speaker/home button are to the right.

With the old iPod Touches, the speaker was in the earphone jack, but it's been relocated to the other side of the dock connector slot.

I noticed that the sound comes out really muffled when I was playing due to the way I have always held the iPod Touch. Anyone else see this as an issue?

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Off the bat my impressions comparing the 4G vs 2G that my GF's had now for two years.

Screen: Going back and forth between new and old, the retina display really shines. Big difference, from Safari web browsing, overall crispness and image clarity. The retina was THE reason I waited for a 4G and paid the cost difference for one vs a clearanced 3G.

Speakers: The speakers definitely sound like they go louder than the 2G's. As for quality, I couldn't discern much of a difference in speaker quality on 4G vs 2G but like I said, it seemed like I didn't need to max volume to hear Jim Dale's voice on Harry Potter 4 audio book in bed =D

Exterior: Holding both there is a noticeable difference in thickness even though I thought the 2G was fairly thin, the new 4G's "thinness" can be felt when holding one in each hand. I like the separated volume rockers on the 4G but I feel the buttons are kind of angled back too far rather than more on the side like the 2G, same with the screen lock/sleep button.
Same scratchtastic chrome backing - I've had the original front sticker placed on the back of the ipod since I got it and it's in a 2G case at the moment.. I don't want any scratches til the invisible shield comes in!

Performance: I loaded the 2G with 4.1 last night and did a quick test with Angry Birds. I still noticed "hiccups" on Angry Birds when you just load up a level for the first time - after launching a bird you can see it pause for a split second once or twice as the bird flies. Had this same issue with 3.1.1 but overall 4.1 is worth the upgrade, did not feel slower and it added functionality (I like the folders). But obviously the 4G I noticed NO slowdown in Angry Birds, the birds flew straight through without hiccups.

Since there are enough impressions on the 4G itself, this was my 4g vs 2g comparison and thoughts. If anyone has questions regarding the two, let me know =)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
How does everyone feel about the external speaker placement of the new iPod Touch when playing a game in landscape mode? I usually hold my device so that the speaker/home button are to the right.

With the old iPod Touches, the speaker was in the earphone jack, but it's been relocated to the other side of the dock connector slot.

I noticed that the sound comes out really muffled when I was playing due to the way I have always held the iPod Touch. Anyone else see this as an issue?

This would happen to me when I used my iPhone 4. I eventually learned, without much effort or thought, to adjust my grip slightly. Though I still did it eventually.

I think it's a fair trade-off for slightly better sound and slightly more volume though.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

You're missing the even bigger point. All those apps need data to work... the barcode scanner doesn't store a few billion products' worth of information on your device, it simply calls out to the internet. Same with augmented reality. So even if the Touch did have GPS (the Compass just uses GPS and stuff, there's no actual compass built-in, I don't think) you still couldn't use it.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
You're missing the even bigger point. All those apps need data to work... the barcode scanner doesn't store a few billion products' worth of information on your device, it simply calls out to the internet. Same with augmented reality. So even if the Touch did have GPS (the Compass just uses GPS and stuff, there's no actual compass built-in, I don't think) you still couldn't use it.

Doh, I forgot about that. However personally for me I was going to use the Touch with my phone's 3G data plan through bluetooth connection with something like the iTether or the Wi-Fi tethering(it's a battery hog though), so I think the barcode app still has some potential. :)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Doh, I forgot about that. However personally for me I was going to use the Touch with my phone's 3G data plan through bluetooth connection with something like the iTether or the Wi-Fi tethering(it's a battery hog though), so I think the barcode still has some potential. :)

Yes. One could also use it with a MiFi device. The options are out there. And there's more and more Free WiFi hotspots popping up in public places these days. This is only going to expand the usefulness of WiFi only devices in the years to come.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008

One thing I noticed that I didn't particularly enjoy. Doesn't matter too much but it enough to consider why they put it where it is.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
How does the touch 4 speaker sound (loudness, clarity, etc) when compared to touch 3, iphone 4?

It's significantly better sounding than the touch 3G. I can't comment on the iPhone 4's speaker, as I haven't heard it.

As far as it being a "small iPad" as mentioned above...I agree, actually. Even as someone who found that troll statement particularly annoying when the iPad came out. The quality is there, which makes it feel like the iPad.
In terms of usability they're completely different devices, but in terms of feel, design, and quality, you can tell that they're very much related. IMO, this wasn't quite as apparent with the 3G Touch.

On the speaker for gaming, I didn't have any problem. I watched Avatar (looked absolutely unbelievable), and had it playing through the speaker just fine.
Then I had Minigore playing (needless to say, super smooth gameplay), and again it sounded fine. It may be the way I'm holding it, but I didn't experience any muffling.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I watched Avatar (looked absolutely unbelievable), and had it playing through the speaker just fine.

What resolution file do you have Avatar in when watching it on your touch 4g? I have a 640x480 Avatar that I watched a little bit of on my touch 3g. And it looked pretty sweet. Only got a little grainy during scenes with a LOT of motion in them. Is your file at 640x480, or the new higher Retina resolution?

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Can someone confirm if these apps work with the new camera?

Wouldn't those bar code apps require access to the internet to try and find a match for the product anyway? Since the iPod Touch requires WiFi to be online what is the chance you are going to get a connection when you actually want to scan something? :confused:

EDIT: My apologies. I didn't read through the entire thread before posting my comment. It appears others have already pointed this out.

tucker61

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2008
Wouldn't those bar code apps require access to the internet to try and find a match for the product anyway? Since the iPod Touch requires WiFi to be online what is the chance you are going to get a connection when you actually want to scan something? :confused:

Since I use a mifi device I would say a pretty good chance actually.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
What resolution file do you have Avatar in when watching it on your touch 4g? I have a 640x480 Avatar that I watched a little bit of on my touch 3g. And it looked pretty sweet. Only got a little grainy during scenes with a LOT of motion in them. Is your file at 640x480, or the new higher Retina resolution?

No - mines the HD widescreen version. Not sure the exact dimensions I ripped at, but definitely higher than 640x480.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Since I use a mifi device I would say a pretty good chance actually.

Virgin Mobile offers a MiFi device for $40/month unlimited. A pretty good alternative to an iPhone bill, provided you carry around a cheap prepaid phone for regular calling.

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
Screen: Text on the screen is very sharp. The pixel density is very impressive. Whites and Blacks look fantastic for e-mail. As long as you are looking at it head on. Looking from the right edge or from the bottom, there's an almost unacceptable level of yellowing as soon as you leave perpendicular. I guess this is the cheapness of the display showing through, it's definitely not as nice as the IPS display in that device everyone is comparing the iPod Touch 2010 to. I checked out the screen with polarized sunglasses on and the see/don't see orientations are at about a 35 degree angle. For comparison, my iPad is 100% viewable (even in sunlight) in landscape mode, 100% dark in portrait mode.

Cameras: I took 2 still shots with it yesterday before giving up. Not expecting much at all from a .7mpix crapcam. A picture in decent light indoors was acceptable on the screen, as long as you don't try to zoom in.

Video does look better. It'll be useful in a pinch, but I wouldn't shoot a documentary or feature film on it.

Speed: It is very responsive. Things like the low amount of RAM should be easily fixable by enabling virtual memory once the jailbreak is out. It's obviously faster than my iPhone 3G and 3GS. I'd say that so far, it's on par with my iPad (to be expected)

iPod OK, this is what I actually got this thing for: a music player. I got the 64GB and still find the space lacking with a collection of Lossless audio. I was able to fit quite a bit of music on it, but still had a hard time picking and choosing what to put on the iPod playlist. I'm picking nits here though and was hoping that they would throw 2 of Sandisk's new tiny 64GB flash chips in it. Oh well, next time.

Listening with a pair of JH13's, sound quality from the built in jack is pretty good. Very crisp and clear, but this is to be expected from a flash based iDevice without 3G. I haven't tried it with a headphone amp and line out cable yet, but it should be the status quo for sound quality.

What impresses me most about the music functionality is more on the software and usability end. This is very good when paired with a nice sized touch screen and the higher resolution. One of the new "about time" features is playlist editing. There are still a few things lacking (streaming an itunes library to the device- none of the third party solutions work very well). New Podcast downloads finally work in the background. It'd be nice to see the device auto check for and download new podcasts once a day or so, like iTunes will do. This would be one more step towards breaking the chain between iPods and their associated computer.

Overall, as a music player with some extra features and app capabilities, I'd say this is a very good improvement over some of the older devices. It is NOT fair to compare it to the iPhone 4, they're on completely different levels. Apple dropped the ball on construction and the hardware end of things, but this is to be expected from a lower end consumer level device.

Are there better options for a well featured PMP out there? Probably not at the moment. Then again, I've drunk so much of Apple's kool-Aid that the RDF is strong in me.

Cheers.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

I'm having mixed results with mine. It works fine with larger barcode but with small sized ones it has difficulty reading them, which means the one it cannot read for sure is the barcode on the iPod Touch box. Darn you irony!

But it's beautiful(and thin!) and blazing fast as expected. I don't own the iPhone 4 but have used it plenty of times and so far I cannot really tell any difference in operating speed. The improved resolution means it works great as a ebook/PDF reader and HD youtube videos look gorgeous.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009

It's louder and has better fidelity! There is a tiny speaker grill on the bottom edge, to the left of the 30 pin connector. finally--an improvement in speaker sound for the touch series.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I'm loving it so far. The only thing that is bugging me is the clicking sound that the camera. But as long as I turn my WiFi off, the clicking sound goes away!!! And it seems like I'm not the only one having this problem. Well, guess Im going to have to live with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.