So what do you think we'll see in OS XI

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adildacoolset, Aug 16, 2012.

1. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Mac OS XI will most probably come in 2 years due to Apple now refreshing annually. Phil Schiller even told John Gruber that "They're doing things differently now", which pointed me to that conclusion.

Anyways, so what do you think we'll see in Mac OS 11. I think obviously a brand new interface, and possibly unification of iPad and mac, with a few differences such as windowed multitasking, mouse/trackpad operations etc. Heck, it might be even called iOS 8.

What are your thoughts?

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

My thoughts are that we won't see OS XI for another decade. And nobody can predict that far in advance with any accuracy.

3. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X does not need to end at 10.9, remember Mac OS X 10.4.11?
    And Apple does not really advertise OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion as OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, but more as OS X Mountain Lion.
    Steve Jobs also said a decade ago, that Mac OS X is a good foundation for the next two decades, leaving us with one more decade.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I wonder what he meant by "foundation." I hope he meant the underlying Unix base, not something like the Finder.

Recent turns towards the iOS have not been promising, but I’m hopeful.

I'd like to see an emulator so I could run some of my iOS apps on my Mac; some are gems for doing one or two things extremely well, refreshing in the era of feature bloat. Siri on the mat (that's what dictation heard when I said "Siri on the Mac"...getting it almost right; but for commands it has to be absolutely right).

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

While I agree, i can't help thinking it's not long before we run out of cats.:)

6. cmdrmac macrumors regular

Could it be argued that 10.10 is different from 10.1? If so, we could easily suggest that there is life after 10.9 and it doesn't necessarily have to be 11.0 or 11.1.

7. mactitude macrumors newbie

mactitude

I too recall reading somewhere that OS X was designed to last 20 years. Unfortunately I cannot find a reference right now.

I think that Apple will maintain the OS X brand until at least 2022 and only then début OS XI.

8. G4DP macrumors 65816

He said it in an interview at one of the shows. OSX was going to last between 20 and 25 years.

9. meme1255 macrumors 6502

I'm still thinking that X means both - number "10" and MORE important second think - UNIX system :) ---> OS X won't have XI version

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

They can just start all over again with 10.10.

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Only BIG cats.

Then we can go to the medium sized cats like Ocelot, Bobcat, Lynx etc.

And then to house cats like Siamese, Ragdoll, Himalayan, Persian etc.

:D

12. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

If that's the case apple easily has another 10 years on the name.

13. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

Regardless of what they might have planned for "OS XI" they need to start by divorcing the iTunes Store & iTunes. I think they would be better off as standalone media player & store or at least give the user the option to "detach" them. Ever since its intro, the iTunes store never cut that umbilical with iTunes.

14. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

I think OS XI will be the final merge between Mac OS and iOS. I think that tablets will advance so much from a few years from now that the difference between a tablet and a laptop will become thinner and thinner. While I don't really like the idea, I think this is where we are heading right now.

15. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

OS XI
    OS Xi
    iOS X

Hold on to your butts.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How many times does it have to be repeated? OS X and iOS are the OS with different UIs. In fact, the OS on the original iPhone was named OS X--MacOS X without the Mac.

Also as has been explained too many times to count, the UIs for OS X and iOS are designed for their supported hardware. It makes no sense to stretch iOS over a Mac Pro. It also makes no sense to shoehorn OS X into a iPhone. Each version of Apple's Unix-based operating system will continue to reflect their respective supported hardware in perpetuity.

17. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

The problem with this is that you're talking about the current iPhone and the current Mac line, who knows how are they both going to be transformed from here to a decade or so? Apple is slowly and timidly importing features from iOS to the Mac OS and this is something that will continue to happen from now on. I am not saying in any way that Apple will unveil a new merged-like iOS/Mac OS operating system next september or not even next year, I'm looking in the long term here.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no problem except in your imagination. Apple's iOS devices have very different functionality than Apple's OS X devices. There is cross-pollination where it makes sense. However, to merge the devices would require very large hammers to force round pegs into square holes. In the real world, this is not going to happen.