So what exactly do you use your Mac Pro for?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TRUCRACKER, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

The Mac Pro can provide so much power, 16+ GB of RAM, multiple graphics cards, 8 core processor, many TB's. So it makes me wonder, why do you need all this? What do you use it for? Probly sounds like a dumb question...

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I don't have a MP, but I do use a pretty powerful HP workstation at work. 2 Xeons @3 GHz, 16GB RAM, etc., etc. I have this setup to handle very large datasets in Matlab, including image processing on video with 4000x4000 resolution and larger.

3. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

4. TRUCRACKER thread starter macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

5. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I think I remember reading that you can do that by adding the &fmt=22 to the ending of the link. Im not positive though.

6. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

PostgreSQL development with an extremely large db (40 million records and growing fast). All sorts of related development and remote admin. VMware.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Normally mine lives by the door, propping it open. I have all those drives install to add extra weight!! Kinda gets pretty windy around here ;) Is that the answer you're looking for? :rolleyes:

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

A paperweight. I use my 13" MacBook Pro for the important stuff (Facebook, youtube, twitter).

And an iphone for the really really important stuff (sexting with gf).

Ok jk :)

I'd KILL for a Mac Pro! I want to do some ridiculously high res Photoshopping and 3D rendering (lots of virtual machines, too). All that CPU power and memory..
    mmmmmmmmm.

9. NoManIsland macrumors regular

10. Vylen macrumors 65816

I use mine for ruling small nations and conquering the world.

Actually no - I don't have a Mac Pro (yet).

But I'd be using it for what I use my 2006 iMac for - desktop application development (XCode), 3D modelling (Blender), image manipulation (Photoshop), and 14.5MP photo processing (Lightroom).

Running XCode and Blender at the same time right now is a quick way to run the machine into the ground, heh - fortunately I can run Photoshop on my Windows Laptop so my iMac doesn't burst into flames. Otherwise, if I was on a Mac Pro, I'd run all three on the machine at the same time.

11. treo360 macrumors member

12. telequest macrumors regular

Dual G5 towers (2004) but Mac Pros soon ... creating video and multimedia productions, running Final Cut Studio and Adobe CS. Current setup still works pretty well for standard def video projects.

Will switch to current/recent Mac Pro as soon as we get any high def video projects that will overwhelm our G5s or whenever new ones come out – whichever comes first. Hoping the dang 2010 update happens soon, but will go with whatever is available pretty soon if not.

13. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Email and surfing the web. :p

Honestly, Aperture 3, FCP for personal stuff, and Office/CS for work.

14. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I like to pretend I edit video, occasionally images (read; FCS, Photoshop&etc). Started on G5, moved to MBP, and he MacPro is in the mail.

Increased disc I/O is something I've been digging, in addition to the processing power. Oh, and I get to use my own capturing devices, too, for that 1080 footage.

15. aliot macrumors member

Then why ask dumb question?

16. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

I dont have it yet, but once i do (either I get sick of waiting and buy an 09 or I dont and buy a 10, either way its coming)

but when I do I will be

running all the normal apps like iChat, Mail Etc.

while also running multiple browsers, multiple web servers (ruby, php) multiple types of db's (couchdb, mysql, postgre), my IDE of choice TextMate (ok text mate is light whatever), photoshop, and VMWare running Windows XP with multiple browser types open as well.

right now I do all this on my macbook pro and let me tell you not only does it get blazingly hot, but it hangs every time I try to do something.

it will be a sweet sweet boost to my productivity once I get my new MP :)

17. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i had a 2009 Mac Pro 8-Core 16GB RAM, and just sold it. i'm waiting for the new 2010 Mac Pro to be released. i'm pretty sure i'll be buying the most powerful configuration i can, and 32GB RAM or more if i can.

i use my Mac Pro for 3D visual effects, composting, high-end graphics and motion graphics, and video editing. i need as much CPU power, GPU power, memory, and hard drive space as i can get.

i think the biggest reason i like having a powerhouse workstation is for rendering 3D content. the more CPU power and memory i can get my hands on, the faster and more efficiently i can work.

18. rkuntze macrumors member

Wow

I just watched the video and all I can say is WOW.

I use my MacPro to process photos in Lightroom 3 and CS4. I need the processing power and memory for actions that process my photos from a shoot. I shoot raw in format and the raw size is 19.2 megapixels. So a processed photo is quite large.

19. Roman23 macrumors 6502

I 2nd that!

I use my new 2009 Quad-core for just that... internet and emailing! and Running Winders 7. just kidding... Windows 7! I think Windows 7 runs better on my brand new 2009 mac pro than it did on the 2008 harpertown I had.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I've been thinking of getting one with three monitor setup. Mainly using for work related tasks (E-mail, Safari, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Windows XP and related software via VMware Fusion). Mainly looking at having large screen real estate.

Then I think of what is most convenient and that is my laptop. Shrugs. So I guess I'll stick with that.

Wow! Very nice video. Thanks for sharing.

21. colorkite macrumors newbie

my latest work:

www.colorkite.com

I pay tribute for Apple making my work even more enjoyable :)

:apple:

22. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Kool vid, real nice actually. When are we gonna see that on telly?

What do i use mine for?
    \ Hacking the Gibson! \

heh seriosuly though, use mine with a Cintiq 21UX for fleshing out my drawings and ink. For mobile work i have a Stylistic slate so when i come home when ive had some good insparation, i boot up Photoshop and Sketchbook. Also dabble in 3Dmax/Mudbox

23. grue macrumors 65816

I work as a film editor, and I'm slowly learning the visual effects side of things. I don't necessarily need to know After Effects worth a rat's ass, but it never hurts.

24. Cavepainter macrumors regular

Photoshop concept design and BG illustration, Digital photography archiving and photo alterations, After Effects anim and compositing, Toonboom Harmony/Animate Pro and Flash animation, Painter, Mirage (not much anymore), Final Cut for basic editing, and someday maybe some Maya work too.. who the heck knows.... oh, yeah, and of course the freelance animation work I'm doing right now... which is why I'm burning the midnight oil, working a part time project.... to pay for a new Mac Pro.

Got a quick gig to pay for the Pro, now just need the Pro to help with the gig......(!)

Time is money when your working at 2 in the morning! So, yeah, I'm disappointed there's no new Mac Pro.