Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Name for OSX 10.7

• Lynx

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Cougar

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • Lion

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 24 24.5%

• Total voters

Moks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
UK
Well, we've had Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger and Leopard. Snow Leopard will be arriving soon... What's next??

Lynx and Cougar are both already trademarked by Apple apparently, and what about Lion?
I personally favour Lynx for 10.7. Opinions please :)

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
I'm hoping for Lion! I think it's a shame they moved away from the big cat inspired packaging when Leopard came along, I much prefer it to the space theme.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
cub :0

whiskas..

j/k

did the cat names only start from os x?

so when os 11 comes, there will be a different "theme"?

if so, then i vote LION :)

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
After Snow Leopard they could have clouded leopard.

If they are using snow leopard what happened to white Tiger (Or snow Tiger)

Has Cheetah been used? That would suggest a huge speed increase.

But I think they will use Lion for 10.10 or what ever the last OSX will be. The King of the OS's

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
cougar sounds pretty cool.

when os XI comes, watch them start using dog breeds or something. i would say birds, but ubuntu already has that :rolleyes:

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
How about, Sabertooth..
2119777863_4c9e3114fc.jpg

or White Tiger -
thumb-1168679625.jpg

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
How about "Snow Lion"? It's a celestial animal of Tibet and symbolizes fearlessness and healing. Typically portrayed as white with turquoise or jade-green mane. Also:

"The Snow Lion resides in the East and represents unconditional cheerfulness, a mind free of doubt, clear and precise. It has a beauty and dignity resulting from a body and mind that are synchronized. The Snow Lion has a youthful, vibrant energy of goodness and a natural sense of delight."

Sounds like a great Apple creature to me--especially that bit about "natural sense of delight!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Lynx and Cougar are both already trademarked by Apple apparently, and what about Lion?

Apple has abandoned their trademarks on Lynx and Cougar, and they do not hold one on Lion. Not that it really means anything...they didn't apply for a trademark on Snow Leopard until WWDC keynote day when they announced it.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
I still think White Tiger is a good choice. A rare cat like snow leopard.

@ggjstudios, new folks may not have give it thought. Participation is always a good thing. ;)

thinkdifferent2

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
West Hartford
Well, we've had Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger and Leopard. Snow Leopard will be arriving soon... What's next??

I personally favour Lynx for 10.7. Opinions please :)

Lynx sounds good. If they are already trademarked by Apple, then Apple is probably planning to use them in the future. I doubt that Apple will use Lion, if they haven't trademarked it though. Anyways, the name "Lion" doesn't really fit in. I like the El Gato idea too lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.