Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ishopukisfake

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
I can't agree with that as my anger stems from a lot more than just push notifications that I think were promised to me this month. I really don't care about the push notifications all that much to be honest.

My anger stems more from the attitude of some people on this and other forums and them trying to tell iPhone users that we should basically just "suck it up" or get a new phone.

It is not just about this one issue of push notifications.

You know what?

When I pay $50 for a phone, $100 for a phone or even $200 for a phone (The Curve I had on July 10th for instance), fine, maybe I suck it up.

But when I upgrade early and pay $400 for a phone because of how it is advertised, and then it doesn't come close, then I shouldn't have to just "suck it up" and Apple should not make me "just suck it up."

But if they are going to make me just suck it up, they could at least tell me why.

I don't see where I am being unreasonable at all to be quite frank.

But like I said, I love the concept of this phone and I love what I think this phone could be capable of, so I will continue to take the ride.

I think you are noticing that mac forums are populated (in part) by a large number of self deluded fanboy's who refuse to admit any issue or mistake on any of apples products. At the hint of any criticism they will go on the verbal offensive and get personal. Apple make mistakes, yes, and most of their products seem to have a higher degree of problems than pc notebooks and desktops do. But the design is cutting edge and the OS is very simple and sleek to use.
To me the iphone has been hassle free, even on 2.0 software I didn't have any problems. However, if you are an intensive business user, some features may not have been perfected yet, this is why many stick with blackberry for now. Maybe the new blackberry storm will force apple to Polish off the sharp edges

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Maybe I have no idea how the SDK works, but push notification was removed from the last 2.1 seeded to developers.

I assume that means that anyone working on apps now can't implement notifications, until a new beta is released.

Thus, even if a new beta comes out today, the chances of seeing apps that utilize it within September seem pretty slim.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i think a lot of you misunderstood my post to beging with. I wasnt complaining about the fact that we didnt get the extras, i was simply asking what the rumor was about when those things that were mentions (push notificationt to be exact) were scheduled to be released..

he DID say September push notification would be available to third party dev. So, seeing as september is almost over, is there any inkling that we MIGHT just see it randomly in september?

I think a lot of you guys are SOO touchy about these things. Really, re-read my post. We WERE promised third party push notification in september.. I am just wondering what is ACTUALLY going to happen..

Being in the loop is a good thing.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
did he not say PUSH available in September? i do remember an actual MONTH.. i know that it was pushed back and i know there is still some time left in sept. but we all expected it with the release of 2.1

Also, push is only available on other servers that have push, not third party apps.. so push only works with gmail and yahoo and mobile me, correct?? that is hardly the push that was explained in the keynote back in June.

I know we dont get it until its finished.. DUH.. i wasnt asking "why dont we have it now?" i was asking where are the rumors? wheres the insider info as to when it is actually going to be released??

Well, just cause we expect something, doesn't mean that it's gonna happen :p. Now if Apple said 2.1, then that's different.

Push is available on servers that have push. Applications will be able to utilize their servers. An example would be Facebook which already has a push capable server. You're thinking of just email. Email push is already on the iPhone. Push is a general statement which refers to the ability of a server to send out notifications. SMS and email are two examples already on 2.0-2.1. The push everyone else is talking about is the ability for third party applications to do this and not just the Mail application. Like it obviously is, Apple uses a different SDK for their applications than developers. Their SDK already has push ability.

Yeah Jobs promised Push with 2.1 in September.....and he hasnt even said why he pulled it, id at least like to know why we dont have it and when we will, cuz there is 13 days left in september

Well, it did say "for further development." I'm hoping that they're developing streaming ability (for the radio applications)...but that seems like a long stretch.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I can't agree with that as my anger stems from a lot more than just push notifications that I think were promised to me this month. I really don't care about the push notifications all that much to be honest.

My anger stems more from the attitude of some people on this and other forums and them trying to tell iPhone users that we should basically just "suck it up" or get a new phone.

It is not just about this one issue of push notifications.

You know what?

When I pay $50 for a phone, $100 for a phone or even $200 for a phone (The Curve I had on July 10th for instance), fine, maybe I suck it up.

But when I upgrade early and pay $400 for a phone because of how it is advertised, and then it doesn't come close, then I shouldn't have to just "suck it up" and Apple should not make me "just suck it up."

But if they are going to make me just suck it up, they could at least tell me why.

I don't see where I am being unreasonable at all to be quite frank.

But like I said, I love the concept of this phone and I love what I think this phone could be capable of, so I will continue to take the ride.
Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's automatically a great product. If you don't like the product, return it. The price is irrelevant. You bought it, evaluated it, and you kept it. End of story. The only entitlement you would ever have is if they changed something that made the phone significantly worse. You could then complain your ass off about how you paid through the teeth for something and were satisfied with your purchase until they changed something that made the product worse, in your opinion. That would be a valid argument. And even then, if you fought hard enough with a decent company, you could probably return it for a refund. But that's not the case. You paid for something, got what you got, WERE NOT PROMISED ANYTHING FURTHER, and you decided to keep the phone as it was. And the only thing they've done to date is improve it. If anything, you've already received more than you paid for. Please show me where they promised you anything else for the phone as incentive to buy it. Show me the ad that says "Buy an iPhone, it will be great on XXX date when we release XXX for it." The only feature we knew was upcoming (but was NOT "promised") was push notification services for "background apps." That's it. If that's the feature you desire so much and feel entitled to have by now, or feel entitled to an explanation further than "September," when we are still in September, then maybe you should have waited to buy the phone until the feature was actually released. Otherwise, I have no idea what you think you were "promised" that you either haven't received, or haven't received in a timely enough fashion.

I know that's not what you want to hear, and trust me when I say that I hate people who spew that crap on this forum, and I never thought I'd be one of them, but you are in the category of "extreme."

I also waited for the firmware to improve to what I would call an acceptable level. For me, that is firmware 2.1. I knew I was taking a risk by keeping the buggy phone and hoping for a firmware to fix it. But, like you, I saw what the capability of the phone COULD be and wanted to keep it to "take the ride." The difference is that I didn't/don't feel entitled to anything like you apparently do.

I don't think you realize that you bought a product from apple, not a service. You did not purchase a "firmware service contract" where you both signed on the dotted line that XXX features would be delivered by XXX date, or that XXX feature would work such and such a way. You bought a phone based on it's claimed capabilities. You had the opportunity to evaluate those claims, which you were apparently not satisfied with, but you chose to "take the ride" anyway. I don't see how you can feel so entitled to anything further from apple just because you paid $XXX for the phone. You might have expected more, because you made assumptions about how fast apple would do XXX, or what apple would even do at all, but that's your bad for making assumptions, and can't be blamed on apple.

/rant.

DaZe3

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
well 13 days is a long time.. If we don't see push by October 1st then something must really be wrong... But well see it eventually... Atleast I hope

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
i can wait for push... i think with 2.1, i'm a more than satisfied customer. i'm not an apple fanboy because i've had the blackberry curve for over a year and loved it. but apple came out with a great phone with great software and interface, it's hard for me to complain... compared the $300 i spent for the 16gb 3G vs the $300 for the curve, i felt like i got my money's worth more from apple. i still can't believe i'm viewing websites in desktop-like display rather than in the PITA blackberry browser!

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I don't think you realize that you bought a product from apple, not a service. You did not purchase a "firmware service contract" where you both signed on the dotted line that XXX features would be delivered by XXX date, or that XXX feature would work such and such a way. You bought a phone based on it's claimed capabilities. You had the opportunity to evaluate those claims, which you were apparently not satisfied with, but you chose to "take the ride" anyway. I don't see how you can feel so entitled to anything further from apple just because you paid $XXX for the phone. You might have expected more, because you made assumptions about how fast apple would do XXX, or what apple would even do at all, but that's your bad for making assumptions, and can't be blamed on apple.

/rant.
ROFL.

Yea, a product advertised to be twice as fast as the original and get a certain level of battery life.

Both of which, are LIES.

But yea, I chose to keep the product based on what it could be and because of the horror stories all over the place about returning the phones and getting WORSE phones.

But I am extreme because I want a little customer service.

Whateva....

All I am gonna say to that is, if I treated my customers the way Apple treats us I would be out of a job.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
So what's your point and what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

I mean, besides nothing.

Other than non-stop complaining, what exactly are you adding to this thread? I'm just trying to inject some perspective here. This is a good product, Apple treats it's customers fine (better than most companies) and there are no new hot rumous to discuss (ie the topic of the thread)

Whateva....

All I am gonna say to that is, if Apple treated their customers the way you treat forum posters they would be out of a job. :rolleyes:

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Because we've not heard anything new.

Release what later than thought? Apple hasn't said anything. They haven't promised anything.

Well, yes, in fact they have. Jobs stated that the background notification feature would be available in September. What are you basing your statement on?

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Well, yes, in fact they have. Jobs stated that the background notification feature would be available in September. What are you basing your statement on?
He didn't promise anything. It was a target date, not a "promise."

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
He didn't promise anything. It was a target date, not a "promise."

It's not really necessary to argue over semantics. Jobs said it was coming in September, we agree on that. Apple has been delayed multiple times on software updates and hardware updates like the Iphone in the past, so I think that what people are wondering of course is whether this promise or 'target date' will be met.

I, for one, think that based on recent events of missed deadlines, that it will not. I'm not really that concerned about it, b/c 2.1 was what was really necessary. The background notification update won't alter much of what I use the phone for anyway.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Other than non-stop complaining, what exactly are you adding to this thread? I'm just trying to inject some perspective here. This is a good product, Apple treats it's customers fine (better than most companies) and there are no new hot rumous to discuss (ie the topic of the thread)

Whateva....

All I am gonna say to that is, if Apple treated their customers the way you treat forum posters they would be out of a job. :rolleyes:
The way I treat forum posters?

Please.

I treat people on a forum how I am treated on a forum.

My tone in this thread stems from the attitude of other posters in this thread and being treated like I have no right to complain and should just accept the phone as it came to me out of the box.

And my posts were on point with what was being discussed as this thread changed from the original subject long before I posted in it.

But that's ok. Don't complain.

Us "whiners" will continue to "complain just to complain" so that YOUR iPhone can perform and function better.

I mean, would 2.1 even be here without all us complainers just complaining to complain? Probably not.

Oh, and for the record, I don't think I ever said iPhone wasn't a good product. It's just not the product Apple said it was, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. I actually like the phone for the most part as I have a Curve as well and enjoy them both.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's not really necessary to argue over semantics. Jobs said it was coming in September, we agree on that

Then how about we actually wait until September is over before starting flaimbait threads?

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Then how about we actually wait until September is over before starting flaimbait threads?

Hey bro I didn't start this thread, take a peak at the first post. I am just commenting on it like you are and everyone else is. I frankly don't care if 2 months go by without the feature that has been discussed here. Read my posts above b4 u respond incorrectly.

mrcharlie91

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
United States
My guess..

In my personal opinion, Apple should completely finish and stablize what they are upto and other fucntions by Macworld 2009. It should be plenty of time to develop and add features. They also would use update news as one of the topics in macworld!

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
wwdc-keynote_125.jpg

Sounds like a promise to me. I think Apple promised much more than a phone with an iPod for a long time now.

I think you are forgetting this was more of a reference to me.com. Though the fact that it costs as much as it does, not sooooo popular. To bad, it could have been so nice to have for free. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.