So, what's your next Mac? (For those who recently bought macs)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shacklebolt, May 4, 2005.

  1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a


    Sep 2, 2004
    My previous computer was a sawtooth 400mhz/128meg ram/20gb. My new computer is a 1.67ghz/1gb/100gb/128vram(!) 15" powerbook.

    No matter what powerbook updates come in the near future (dual core, G5, whatever), I'm not bothered. Why? because it's the only powerbook I plan on buying for a long time. My next mac is going to be an ass kicking Powermac G5 at the very least a year or so from now - a powermac MP, or G6, or whatever they choose to call them. Either way, I'm going to enjoy my time with my lappy until then.

    So, what are you waiting for?
  2. 840quadra Moderator


    Staff Member

    Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    A powerbook matched to my G5. I know I will be happy with my G5 for 3 years plus. I hope that Apple will come out with a Laptop that is as powerfull and feature rich in 3 years.
  3. fash macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2005
    Hopefully a G5 Powerbook :D

    got G4 powerbook and i think its past its use by date :(
  4. zap2 macrumors 604


    Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    when my imac dies im going for a low end powermac or mini until college then a ibook or powwerbook
  5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5


    Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I've had my little iMac G4 for nearly 1.25 years (2 more days and I'll be there). I plan on replacing it with a PowerMac G6 or PowerMac G7 of some sort. I'm also buying no earlier than February 6, 2007 - 3 years after I bought it, and the day my AppleCare extended warranty expires.

    If I was in the market now, though, a maxed out 20" iMac G5 would be right up my alley.
  6. nagromme macrumors G5


    May 2, 2002

    A PowerMac with quad (or dual-dual) G6 processors (or whatever desktop chip comes out of IBM's Power5) and 512 VRAM on whatever the top GPU at the time is. Blu-Ray BD/DVD SuperDrive. Dual hard disks at least 250 GB in size, as a mirrored RAID. 2 GB RAM. Bluetooth everything. 30" Cinema Display :)

    Yeah, it's a ways off... Maybe summer 2006?

    And after THAT... the smallest PowerBook I can get. Maybe 13" widescreen G5. With lighted keys please. My current 1.25 Ghz G5 is going to start feeling pretty slow by then... maybe early 2007?
  7. clykins90 macrumors regular


    Feb 9, 2005
    Well, my sister is picking up an iBook tonight (lucky dog!)

    I was going to get a mac mini to go along with the comp in my sig, but now they've updated the iMacs. It looks like I'll be getting a 17" iMac instead.
  8. iGary Guest


    May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Dual processor G5 at the end of the year to chase the tax man away.

    Replacing MDD G4, which will become my Web server.
  9. nichos macrumors 6502


    Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Waiting for money!:) Once that comes in, I think I'll get a desktop - either iMac, or PowerMac. I currently have the latest iBook, with maxed out ram. They'll have to improve the powermac specs to persuade me to get it over the iMac.
  10. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
    mini for the fam back home and possibly a imac or powermac for me at at school to compliment the portability of my powerbook with some power.
  11. macbaseball macrumors 6502a


    Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Power Mac -either the Dual 2.0 or the Dual 2.3. With lots of RAm and a big hard drive.
  12. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 13, 2005
    i got an iBook 1.2Ghz and iMac 1.6Ghz. I am content with both as I am not a pro user. So i guess my next mac would be an iMac redesigned in 2007 maybe. ;) Maybe I will become a pro user and be interested in the PowerMac line. who knows!
  13. joecool85 macrumors 65816


    Mar 9, 2005
    Mac Mini...sometime after they get it up to 1.7 ghz or better, and a 64mb vid card or better. I really can't afford a computer for another 6 months to a year anyway, so I can wait for the updates. Right now my rev a PB has been doing fine with everything I need it to do (since I maxed the RAM about a year ago)
  14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus


    Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I didn't buy my iBook G4 recently (Nov 2003) but, as I'm financially challenged at the moment ;), it will have to do for now... Tiger has actually made it feel a lot faster... :D

    Next machine will probably be Rev B of a whole new generation of the iBook (or perhaps PowerBook), I'm talking a brand new architecture, maybe something with a mobile Power 5 and a couple of supporting Cells... :cool: ;)

    So it's not very likely it will be this year... :p
  15. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

    Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Well I finally have a new PowerBook 15" BTO, which I'm very happy with. This is after the third attempt:
    1st - Dead pixels, distorted, horribly left-biased sound.
    2nd - Arrived with a dent in the casing, didn't even bother to open it, just resealed the packaging and returned it to the dealer.
    3rd - Appears to be perfect, no trackpad issues, etc. even the sound doesn't appear so left-biased as before (though not sure whether my ears are just refusing to countenance such an issue or whether it really is different)

    I've sent off for the Tiger upgrade and once installed I'm all set.

    My next machine will be an iMac 20". The recent upgrade with the inclusion of an airport extreme card, bluetooth, larger HD and decent RAM is perfect so all I need to do now is get this proposal past my wife.....

  16. Sox macrumors regular

    Feb 9, 2005
    I'd love to get a desktop of some kind, maybe before going back to school in the fall. The PB is beautiful for it's portability (and I definitely need the portability), but I don't want to keep using it as a desktop replacement. Since I already have the screen, I'm thinking PowerMac over iMac. I doubt there will be any new chips out by August (happy to be wrong) so the dual 2.0 looks appealing.
  17. Davito macrumors member

    Jun 16, 2004
    Zurich, Switzerland
    I just bought an iMac a month ago. Usually, I buy a new computer every 5 years or so. So its propably going to be something like an iMac dual core G7 8.39 GHz, 23", 4GB RAM, 1TB Harddisc. :)
  18. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816


    Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Let me see..

    I had an iMac G4/800 that I sold yesterday.

    I just got myself a Powerbook G4/1.5 12".

    I do not plan on buying a new computer for three years.
  19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5


    Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    The balance problem you reported has happened to me, too, with new Macs. Fortunately, it's easy to fix - usually, the cause is the balance slider in Sound preferences somehow got moved away from the center. Setting that back to center cleared the issue up for me.
  20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #20 Mac...hmmm...I'm torn between:

    • 10" iBook
    • 12" Powerbook Widescreen
    • Powerbook G5

    *runs away and hides* :D

    Seriously, I was going to get a new iBook or PB 12" this year, but I decided to spend the money on a Digital Rebel instead, and so far, I don't regret the choice (especially with the speed improvements in Tiger). I think I am going to keep this iBook for a couple more years. Possibly eventually work up the courage to do a custom paint job on it.
  21. john_satc macrumors 6502

    Feb 14, 2005
    B'ham Uk
    Well got my iBook in January so once my 3 years of warranty are up (still need to get it though) I will probably move on, for now I will stick with that scheme - update every 3 years.

    Also January is great time to update - Xmas money and loads of overtime at work (retail!) to make loads of dosh.

    Actually I really want an iMac G4 at the mo - I don't even want one, I just think they look really nice - possibly better than the G5.
  22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5


    Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I agree with you, john_satc, on the brilliant design of the iMac G4. I have one, and I see exactly what you mean when I look at it.

    Actually, you're just like me as far as updates go - update every 3 years, when the AppleCare expires.
  23. ebook macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World
    Hmmm...well, I was going to sell my G5 iMac and G3 500 iBook and get a Powerbook, but with the recent iMac updates mine isn't worth as much so I think I will hang on to it for another 3 or more years. But, I'm still hoping to sell my iBook and buy an updated one if Apple decides to do a cram and jam deal this year like they have in the past (crosses fingers). Then I would sell an iPod and keep the iBook! ;)
  24. IanC macrumors regular

    Jan 29, 2005
    A Powerbook, 12incher most probably.
    Depends whats out before i start uni :)

    edit: ok didnt notice the recent purchase bit
  25. ravenvii macrumors 604


    Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    PowerMac, whatever is the latest and greatest in... hell who am I kidding? When I cave in!

    *looks at small tear in straitjacket* I'm in trouble...

Share This Page