Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Because at the moment it's completely broken. It's slow, it crashes, it simply wont connect to peers. Getting more than 10kb/sec on any torrent is a miracle.

Transmission used to be an awesome app, but with the .9 releases it's become an abortion of a bittorrent client.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Because at the moment it's completely broken. It's slow, it crashes, it simply wont connect to peers. Getting more than 10kb/sec on any torrent is a miracle.

Transmission used to be an awesome app, but with the .9 releases it's become an abortion of a bittorrent client.

working fine for me..dunno

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Could it be running it under 10.5 that's causing problems? There are quite a few threads on the official Transmission forums so it's not just me...

I'm running 10.5.1 and the latest version of Transmission, and getting very good speeds. Not sure :/

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
I'm running 10.5.1 and the latest version of Transmission, and getting very good speeds. Not sure :/

My firewall's off too so it can't be that...

Seems it's just me and a few people on the official forums. Are you guys connecting to peers? It tells me I have around 50 peers for most torrents but only connects to a handful (about 6 max).

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Ditto on my Transmission running fine. I make sure I have fluid in it, shifts gears just fine.

OHHH you mean Transmission. Yah, that's running fine too in 10.5.1, all the latest updates, etc. Downloads go smooth, all is good.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
The only problem I've had recently is one particular torrent brings the whole application to a freeze.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My firewall's off too so it can't be that...

Seems it's just me and a few people on the official forums. Are you guys connecting to peers? It tells me I have around 50 peers for most torrents but only connects to a handful (about 6 max).
To rule everything else out, have you tried opening the same torrent in another client and watched it perform better?

I know you said you don't have a firewall running, but in regards to port forwarding, does Transmission show the port its using as being "Open" (little green light next to it)?

This is the only screen shot I have, but it's not unusual for me to hit over 1 M using Transmission (running on 10.5.1).

picture-1.png

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
To rule everything else out, have you tried opening the same torrent in another client and watched it perform better?

I know you said you don't have a firewall running, but in regards to port forwarding, does Transmission show the port its using as being "Open" (little green light next to it)?

This is the only screen shot I have, but it's not unusual for me to hit over 1 M using Transmission (running on 10.5.1).

picture-1.png

What kind of connection do you have?

I can get up to around 100k up but it really makes my network unusable..I'm on comcast cable :( I usually throttle it to 10k up unless i'm at work or sleeping

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006

picture-1.png

Well I normally download Naruto every Friday morning and I used to pretty much max out my connection while it downloaded, now it takes ages every week.

The ports are green, so that seems fine. It just refuses to connect to more than a few peers at a time and it's driving me batty! :mad:

EDIT: I'm currently downloading three torrents. All say that there are fifty peers yet they're only connected to two or three peers each.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well I normally download Naruto every Friday morning and I used to pretty much max out my connection while it downloaded, now it takes ages every week.

The ports are green, so that seems fine. It just refuses to connect to more than a few peers at a time and it's driving me batty! :mad:
How old is the torrent by Friday morning?

It'd be nice to know your connection speed as well.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
How old is the torrent by Friday morning?

A day maybe? But it's only a 170Mb file and a super-popular torrent. Until recently it downloaded as fast as my connection will allow (ie about 300-400kb/sec). With the .9 builds of transmission it downloads at 10-30kb/sec. Not very scientific, but that's a huge difference.

The problem simply seems to be that Transmission only connects to a couple of peers regardless of how many are available. The three torrents I have right now are only connected to 3 out of 50 peers and I never get much better.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
A day maybe? But it's only a 170Mb file and a super-popular torrent. Until recently it downloaded as fast as my connection will allow (ie about 300-400kb/sec). With the .9 builds of transmission it downloads at 10-30kb/sec. Not very scientific, but that's a huge difference.

The problem simply seems to be that Transmission only connects to a couple of peers regardless of how many are available.
I've noticed lately that Transmission has improved for me using a nightly build. Vanilla 0.96 worked just great too and PEX does do some wonders. Transmission doesn't seem to connect to as many peers but the speed is there.

I suggest getting the nightly.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
I've noticed lately that Transmission has improved for me using a nightly build. Vanilla 0.96 worked just great too and PEX does do some wonders. Transmission doesn't seem to connect to as many peers but the speed is there.

I suggest getting the nightly.

I'll give it a go. I head some rumours of .96 being banned from some trackers which could explain it. I'm not sure at all.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Transmission sucks for me too since going to Leopard.

I use Opera now to DL my Torrents.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm getting slow speeds (but not sure whether it is torrent specific) and the main bug with Transmission for me is when I quit it, it takes about 10-15 seconds to shutdown completely!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
the main bug with Transmission for me is when I quit it, it takes about 10-15 seconds to shutdown completely!
I wonder if that's normal? Azureus (along with Transmission) does that for me, too (takes extra time to shutdown). I assumed it was updating the trackers that I was connected to, etc.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
What kind of connection do you have?

I can get up to around 100k up but it really makes my network unusable..I'm on comcast cable :( I usually throttle it to 10k up unless i'm at work or sleeping

In the Transmission preferences, under the Advanced Section, check 'Ignore Unencrypted Peers'

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I used to use Azureus on my old Mac and installed Transmission on my new iMac with 10.5.1. I had never used it before, but it works great, no problems connecting whatsoever!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Transmission has never been fast for me

I normally get up to about 30-50kbps in Transmission, where as that same torrent will get to 300kbps in Azureus

I like the idea of transmission (being lightweight and simple etc) but its crap at doing it's primary function :rolleyes:

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...

picture-1.png

Geez, I wish I got consistent speeds like that. I sometimes get 250-500+ but only sporadically. Typically, I'm hovering around 25-90. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.