So When Exactly Will They Push Out 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TXCraig, Jul 6, 2008.

1. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Just wondering when everyone thinks 2.0 will be available for download. The morning of the 11th? The evening of the 10th?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Sometime between 07/11/08 12am PST and 07/12/08 12am PST...

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I would say Tuesday. I think Apple pushes updates on either the 2nd Tuesday or Wednesday of the month.

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I guess the 12th. or the 7th.

5. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Im gonna say Wednesday at 2:56pm ;-)

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Any logic behind that guess?

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Friday, midday, around 10AM.

Quote me on this.

8. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

i would think around the same as iPhone 3G's (hes our friend not a phone) release.

9. lesliegolf macrumors regular

A question. Do the fine folks from NZ and AUS hit our same servers for their software?

If so, they will be getting software one day before us because of time zone differences.

10. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

It has to be out before launch time (not before launch date but launch time like 6am) though cause on the apple support its says

"If iTunes does not prompt you to select a backup to restore when you connect iPhone 3G, use iTunes to restore iPhone OS on your iPhone 3G and try this step again"

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

11. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

People saying that 2.0 will launch earlier or later than July 11th are obviously uneducated on this matter.

"iPhone 2.0 software will be available on July 11 as a free software update via iTunes® 7.7 or later for all iPhone customers."

My assumption is that it will launch anywhere from 8 AM - 3 PM (I doubt any later than like 5) PST (that's what time zone Cupertino is in, and that's about the time they launch updates). For me, in EST that's anywhere from 11 AM to 7 PM :(

Edit: As a side not, in order to download 2.0 you must have iTunes 7.7, which will include the App Store and the 2.0 firmware, so the 2.0 firmware and the App Store will come out whenever Apple releases iTunes 7.7 (which has been confirmed for a July 11th release, obviously)

12. TXCraig thread starter macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I never thought about this... our friends in AU will have their phones a day before we do...

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That doesn't mean anything. The 2.0 firmware ships with iPhone 3G. I'm talking about for the rest of people using the current iPhone and upgrading.

iTunes 7.7 will probably be out Thursday night.

14. lesliegolf macrumors regular

I do a lot of work in NZ and AUS. Always take my iPhone with me but pull the SIM out and use it as a wireless device.

My NZ / AUS friends / customers have been ribbing me that they get the new phone before me. I will be getting even by pestering them all day on our 10th, their 11th.

15. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

iTunes 7.7 has been confirmed for a July 11th release in AT&T memos.

16. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I would say they release the new iTunes sometime on thursday night. I mean, AT&T will be selling the new iPhone at 8 am.

I would say that they also start to push out iPhone 2.0 sometime thursday night as well.

17. baseballbent macrumors member

well no matter what the software has to be released at 8am in New York because customers there have to have access to the software when the iphones start getting sold.

can the software be released at different times within the United States based on time zones or is it all realeased at once? then that would mean the new software would be avaliable at 5am here in California and on the West Coast.

....unless Apple decides to postpone the release until a few hours later :(

18. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

All at once. To much of a pain in the ass to orchestrate a staggered release based upon timezone...

19. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

If you go to the Apple Iphone website http://www.apple.com/iphone/

It clearly says that the iPhone 3G Coming July 11.

If you click on their link for the 2.0 Software info at http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

It says 2.0 Software Update Coming Soon.

Don't you think that it was certain that it would not come out before the 11th that the Apple site would say the 11th for the 2.0 update?

I think they would be crazy to wait beyond Tuesday or Wednesday. If they do it those days they will get a huge amount of customer support issues handled before the hardware release AND get a ton of free publicity.

They would be crazy to have a software update of that scale happen at the same moment as a new hardware release. This is expecially true for a software update that can only happen over the internet.

The App Store also does not need to be live the very second we get 2.0. It would be nice but it is certainly not required to be running from a software point of view.

I also think we cannot use AT&T memos for clues for when the update will happen. They are clearly written to show that it will be there by Friday. They could be telling them to not load the app store till Friday morning just to make sure they keep their mouths shut about what they find there.

I just think they would be crazy not to release 2.0 at least two days before the hardware.

20. BigPrince macrumors 68020

21. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

HMMM. If it is available on July 10, won't it also be Available on July 11? Which memo says July 11 and not a moment sooner? Unless an APPLE memo says Available for the first time on July 11 I am not buying the arguments that it can ONLY be released on July 11.

22. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I think that Apple's servers are going to go nuts on the 11th, I hope that they can handle launching Mobile Me, iPhone, and 2.0 all on the same day. Something smells fishy to me, maybe something will drop earlier than the 11th.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's coming out the 11th. It's SOFTWARE, people.

24. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

You guys sound like delusional idiots!
    Apple HAS confirmed a July 11th release for 2.0. There's no speculating, when a press release says "... on July 11th" then that means it's going to be available starting on the 11th, if they meant earlier than July 11th they would say "... by July 11th". When they say on it means it's going to be released that day, in this case, July 11th, 2008.

Mark my words, they are not launching it earlier. It's so simple.

25. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Do you have the link to the APPLE press release? I searched and keep finding references to the AT&T releases. I will trust you if Apple actually said it but am still curious as to why they did not just say that when their web site still says coming soon where it could easily say July 11.

Sorry to be so suspicious regarding that point but I work for a company far bigger than Apple and we would never tell our resellers everthing about something like this. Even within the company only those who needed to know would know the real target date. If I fix a bug I can tell the submitter the release number they will see the fix in but I would get in big trouble if I associated an actual date with that number. As a developer I find out it shipped when I see the press release.

No need to be disrespectful to other posters. We are ALL guessing and hoping here. If you have real insider info you should probably not be posting unless you are just having fun with us.