So when is Apple going to update the Macbook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drake, Nov 21, 2010.

1. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Man, they're using three year old technology on their Macbook Pro 13", you'd think they would have slipped in a i5 by now?? You can get a PC notebook for half what the Macbooks go for with sparkling new technology. Why would anyone continue to wait?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel IGP is worse than 9400M. CPU wise it would be an upgrade but GPU wise it would be a huge downgrade.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When intel gets off its ass and releases Sandy Bridge :rolleyes:

4. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Actually it's 2 year old technology. Penryn is a different processor than Merom. But you can blame Intel for not allowing Nvidia to produce video cards/chipsets for the Core i series.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35568

Honestly though, If you really don't like it, go get one of those pc's with Intel integrated graphics. Core 2 is still plenty fast so what's your problem?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Go for it
    Nothing stopping you

6. racer1441 macrumors 68000

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Since manufacturers legally can't use one of the new Intel processors and some other manufactures integrated graphics, that means Apple has to use Intel's weak integrated graphics offering.

That's obviously not a workable solution (one small step forward with processor performance), but one HUGE step backwards with the video performance), so what they'd have to do is design the 13" MacBook Pros to use Intel's weak integrated graphics AND also include a more-powerful discreet graphics card.

I honestly don't know if they can do all of that without having to physically redesign the 13" MacBook Pro, and I don't know if they will do that without increasing the MacBook Pro price. They are all about their margins...

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

9. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

drake

I can get a PC with a discrete ATI HD5470 graphics card (switchable to Intel), i5-430M cpu, 500gb drive, 4gb of ram, 13" screen for under $600cdn. What's Apple offering at twice the money? You really think Apple is making a reasonable offering?

10. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

drake

You have me totally confused. You most definitely CAN get a PC with the new Intel processors AND an ATI graphics card. They're not hard to find.

11. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Wrong. You can get one with a discrete gpu, but not an integrated gpu. A discrete gpu wouldn't fit without major redesign of the 13" if you don't know the difference of what makes the Apple offering better, go enjoy a crappy dell.

12. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

drake

Actually, its a crappy Acer, but I'll only have it for a year before I get another crappy Acer (or Dell, Thinkpad or whatever).

Thanks for all the support guys! I needed someone to push me forward on placing the order!

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

wait.. order for the crappy acer or an expensive MBP???

14. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Yes, you can buy a new PC with both i-series processors and discrete graphics. But your paying for it in 1 of 2 ways: lower battery life from a smaller battery so all of the chips required can fit or a thicker laptop so all the components and a reasonably sized battery can fit.

With the i-series processors you need a 3rd chip to play the controller between the graphics and processor. Intel does not let other manufactures integrate controllers and graphics into one chip as they did with the core 2 duo platform.

On the 13" MBP there is literally not enough space for the 3rd chip so Apple's solution was to stay with the core 2 duo series and use better a single controller and graphics unit that is available now. On the 15" MBP there is enough space for the controller (the third chip).

Have a look at the 13" and 15" MBP logic boards to see (from iFixits teardown pages). The 15" MBP has 3 chips: one for graphics, the controller and the processor. The 13" MBP has 2 chips one for graphics/controller and one for the processor.

Attached Files:

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The MBP is cheaper than buying a crappy Acer year after year.

however ... you do always get the latest version of the crappy Acer :cool:

16. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

FTFY

If you wish to continue this tirade be my guest.

Oh, and the 320m is better than the 5470.

17. drake, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010

drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

drake

People are reporting they're regularly getting six hours out of the Acer, and it weights less than the MBP. I doesn't have an optical drive though, not a huge issue for me.

Exactly, and every year the Acer will be that much cheaper to where they're giving them away in cereal boxes. :p

18. cookie.monster macrumors newbie

One option for apple would be to drop optical drive in 13" model (assuming there's no other way) to fit discrete video and possibly more battery.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well then go for it.

Its your money, your decision and you need to live with it. If you think Acer is a better deal, then by all means.

20. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

and/or use flash storage directly on the board. That will save space as well

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

Wow, you've just posted one out of about 15,000 threads with the same complaint!

If you don't like it buy elsewhere. Apple'll update whenever they feel like doing so and you have barely any say over it, and that's that. You should get out in the sun some more instead of worrying about a laptop's spec sheet.

22. Liqwid macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting that.... I learned something.

23. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Q1 2011, after SB release (CES 2011 - Jan 6-7)

24. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, the half-price PC will have a crappier screen, higher weight, and lower battery life. It will almost certainly have an inferior trackpad. Finally, for the software that many of users are running, the faster processor provides no practical advantage.

25. frijec macrumors member

Sandybridge is one update on the line, what other new stuff you expect? SSD like in the mba comes to my mind.